Thread: blacktail deer II

Default blacktail deer II

I started a new thread because I wanted to thank everyone who contributed to the first one, and the other one was getting a little long.

I also wanted to let you all know that our deer hunt is now set! We will be hunting the Island of Attu, for the pure and simple reason it was the only place left in Alaska that wasn't spoken for this year.

Each of us will have 1 deer tag, two bear tags, a 12 pack of wolf tags, and 1 Bigfoot tag. We want to be ready for any eventuality that comes our way.

I just have two more quick questions if I could please?

Would it be acceptable for us to come up to Attu this summer and set up our tree stands? We like to set them up early so the deer get used to them. Also, it's very expensive to bring anything to Attu, so we were wondering if there is some place on the island that rents tree stands? Thanks in advance!

I'm just glad that us non-residents have a place like this where we can come for expert advice and guidance.

Eel

No problem man!

On behalf of everyone, I'm glad we could assist you!

We all like to joke around on the board, but we actually can be pretty helpful via PM. Every bit of info you post on the 'net shows up on Google for the world to see.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    We all like to joke around on the board, but we actually can be pretty helpful via PM. Every bit of info you post on the 'net shows up on Google for the world to see.
    I know that. I received a PM as a matter of fact. I was just appriciating the humor that was started is all. The whole thing cracked me up.

Eel

Ohhhhhh, I could have fun with this. I was stationed out there for a year in 2004-2005, and then went back in 2006 for three months.

The only 4 legged critter you'll find out there are a bunch (and I mean a buuunch) of Norwegian rats. Can't tell you how they taste, but the station dogs liked them. Lots of waterfowl though.

If you can find a tree, you must be drunk and haluccinating.

However, I can with utmost confidence tell you that you and your hunting partners will not have to deal with other hunters hedging in on your island!

Dress warmly, and make sure you bring a darn good tent to handle the occasional 100+ mph winds. And enjoy the very long boat ride to get there.

Default Attu

Very few have ever been here. Here's a few pictures. These are all winter shots, but summer is spectacularly green and beautiful.

Last edited by HuntKodiak; 02-08-2011 at 23:52. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by EelRiverChrome View Post
    I started a new thread because I wanted to thank everyone who contributed to the first one, and the other one was getting a little long.

I also wanted to let you all know that our deer hunt is now set! We will be hunting the Island of Attu, for the pure and simple reason it was the only place left in Alaska that wasn't spoken for this year.

Each of us will have 1 deer tag, two bear tags, a 12 pack of wolf tags, and 1 Bigfoot tag. We want to be ready for any eventuality that comes our way.

I just have two more quick questions if I could please?

Would it be acceptable for us to come up to Attu this summer and set up our tree stands? We like to set them up early so the deer get used to them. Also, it's very expensive to bring anything to Attu, so we were wondering if there is some place on the island that rents tree stands? Thanks in advance!

I'm just glad that us non-residents have a place like this where we can come for expert advice and guidance.

Eel
    HA! This is funny, as we actually discussed filming on ATTU this summer, we just couldn't figure out what to hunt beside Japanese submarines.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

PM's or a cup of coffee get me spilling the beans on most Blacktail hunts too. They are just a sneaky and plentiful species. I guess thats why we joke so much about em. They can be hard to hunt but are found all over the place and many times it's just a matter of hauling into some backcountry and poking around until you've figured out what they are doing for the day. ABC's, Kodiak, and POW are the major known locations but PWS, Douglas (Juneau), and other various islands thorughout any of these regions hold deer. If you looking to hedge your bets and just harvest look for a deep snow event and go hunting. If you looking for Alaska, pick any of these locations, gear up and find some deer. You'll pay more for the tags as a NR but you'll experience the same AK as the next Joe. Using the forest service cabins as a base isn't a bad idea either.

I too enjoyed the humor in the last thread. If you come Sitka way PM me and I'll get ya directed. Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Bighorse View Post

I too enjoyed the humor in the last thread. If you come Sitka way PM me and I'll get ya directed. Cheers!
    Looking back on that thread, there was one post of mine that was "Dead serious, actual information" the rest were stretches of some kind for fun, (which one(?), my first, I think about #3or4 post,)

There really is going to be good hunting on Kdk upcoming, and I am with Bighorse for ya, as far as coming to Kodiak,
    If you decide on th Emerald Isle, send a PM and I'd love to help you out, lots of Blacktail hunting to be done, you'll have a great time

But SE is prettier,calmer..... sorry couldn't resist
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Since we are talking blacktails.. Has anybody ever hunted Coronation Island? I want to go explore that rock, and I've heard the the deer "herd" on that island. Not sure how true it is though.

Since we are talking blacktails.. Has anybody ever hunted Coronation Island? I want to go explore that rock, and I've heard the the deer "herd" on that island. Not sure how true it is though.
    Must have been that island they found just after Honest Obe got sworn in. If you think a timber wolf, a grizzly bear, or a bigfoot is scary, wait until you see the inhabitants of Coronation Island. All the human dwellers are campaign drones waiting to reemerge for 2012, and all the deer all have bumper stickers pasted on their asses with cutesy quotes about peace, hope, love, change, and flowers. The deer are all shaped like Toyota Priuses and none of them grow antlers for fear of appearing better than other deer. From what I hear, there are only women on the island, but before you get your hopes up, you should know that they moved there for the purpose of being with other women. There is only one gun on the island. It can be checked out from the Coronation Library for the specific purpose of robbing the local liquor store, after which it must be returned by 6:00 a.m. the following day. Don't plan on watching television either. The only channel they pick up out there is the Oprah Winfrey Network.
    Passing up shots on mergansers since 1992.

I've heard various reports about Coronation. But most of them talked about finding one or two deer for the trip. I could be waaaayy off though since I've never been there myself.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

Corrination: Rugged and wind blown. And i hunted etolon as a kid.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    I've heard various reports about Coronation. But most of them talked about finding one or two deer for the trip. I could be waaaayy off though since I've never been there myself.
    You talking about the island S of Kuiu? I can't see many guys even having access to that island. It would be a hell of a run for me, that's for sure.

Yup that little thing way out there. I realized after posting that your comment may have been tongue-in-cheek, but I seriously have heard of people trying to hunt the island. Not my first choice, to be sure.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

No, I'd like to get out there. My google fu has turned up a guy who studied the deer on that island. He lives off the grid in Tenakee Springs. I'll have to track him down and see if he wants to talk deer.

No, I'd like to get out there. My google fu has turned up a guy who studied the deer on that island. He lives off the grid in Tenakee Springs. I'll have to track him down and see if he wants to talk deer.
    If you're serious about making a run out there, hit me up. Wouldn't mind doing some exploring that direction.

Roger that. Plenty of cool stuff up in that direction, that probably doesn't get hunted much.