Thread: Handgun Carry Permit... Transfer from TN to AK?

Default Handgun Carry Permit... Transfer from TN to AK?

I currently have handgun carry permit in the state of TN. Can I transfer this permit to AK if I decide to move there? If so, what are the steps involved in doing so? Are there fees involved? Thanks in advance!

Just leave er at home, the permit that is, you don't need one up here.. how cool is that?!

Ya don't need one up here, the only reason we have the CCW program and license is for reciprocity in other states for when you travel. Your TN (residents) one cannot be transferred and will be no good once you stop being a resident of TN.
    Best route IMHO is to get a non-resident permit from either Utah or Florida. UTAH one is recognised in all same states as AK, but you have to do a course etc. FL non-residents CCW just requires that you have done either Hunters Ed, NRA course or are ex-mil or LEO, $117 for seven years. FL CCW is reciprocated in all same States as AK except Nevada and MN. Bonus of the non-res permits is that they move with you (you just inform the issuing state of new address).

You can read Alaska's laws at these links.

Reciprocity- http://www.dps.state.ak.us/statewide...ciprocity.aspx

http://www.dps.state.ak.us/statewide...dhandguns.aspx

Alaska Statute 11.61.220 allows anyone 21 or older, who may legally carry a firearm to also carry it concealed without having to obtain a special permit. The possession of a firearm at courthouses, school yards, bars and domestic violence shelters will continue to be prohibited. Alaskans may obtain a concealed carry permit if they want reciprocity with other states.

You don't need a permit in AK, but if you travel outside the state you will need one. You'll have to check Tennessee State law to see if your Tennessee permit will still be valid after you change your residency. If your asking whether or not you can trade in your Tennessee permit for an Alaska permit, the answer is no.

Thanks for the quick replies and the information folks... appreciate it! Very cool that no permit is needed inside the state!

One biggie to remember if you do carry and get stopped by the police for ANY reason, is to immediately but calmly declare that you have a concealed firearm on your person or in the vehicle for that matter. Otherwise, it could be a real problem.

like most said you don't need one up here, but it also can't hurt to carry it anyway. I still keep my Michigan CPL with me just as extra insurance, figure it cost me the price of a decent gun so I may as well have it. And just like Tennessee, you'll want to review where/when you can, and can't, carry it.
    Do something brave today... then run like hell
    ~~~~~~~
    The ideas of tomorrow are fashioned by those who challenge the ideas of today.

I double checked the TN.gov site today and the Carry Permit for TN is reciprocal with AK and several other states.

Quote Originally Posted by gvsujustin View Post
    like most said you don't need one up here, but it also can't hurt to carry it anyway. I still keep my Michigan CPL with me just as extra insurance, figure it cost me the price of a decent gun so I may as well have it. And just like Tennessee, you'll want to review where/when you can, and can't, carry it.
    Please note that it is not always legal to carry/use an expired license. Here is the Alaska Statute addressing this:

AS 18.65.760. Misuse of a permit.
    (a) The holder of a permit issued under AS 18.65.700 18.65.790 may not
    (1) alter the permit;
    (2) allow another person to use the permit;
    (3) possess or display a suspended or revoked permit; or
    (4) represent or display an expired permit as if the permit were valid, unless the holder has submitted a complete, timely renewal form under AS 18.65.725 and the renewal process has been delayed due to circumstances not under the control of the applicant; this paragraph does not require a holder to return or surrender a permit upon its expiration, nor may the department require a holder to return or surrender a permit upon its expiration.
    (b) A person who violates (a)(1)
    (3) of this section is guilty of a class A misdemeanor.
    (c) A person who violates (a)(4) of this section is guilty of a violation and upon conviction may be punished by a fine of not more than $100.

If your permit is still valid, then I think it is still good up here and is treated just as if it were an Alaska permit, just be careful if it has expired.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    If your permit is still valid, then I think it is still good up here and is treated just as if it were an Alaska permit, just be careful if it has expired.
    Well as I understand it there is no residency requirement in Alaska for concealed carry, anyone over 21 that can otherwise possess the gun may also conceal it. So his out of state permit doesn’t do anything here, it being valid or not doesn’t matter in Alaska because the test is can you have the gun at all . . . if you can have it you can conceal it. It is a “good guy” card when you hand it to a LEO because it says you passed a background check but handing a LEO an out of state permit and an Alaska ID would likely negate that.

Also, I don’t know about Tennessee but most states have a residency requirement for their permit so when you move out of that state your permit becomes invalid because you no longer meet the permit requirements.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Well as I understand it there is no residency requirement in Alaska for concealed carry, anyone over 21 that can otherwise possess the gun may also conceal it. So his out of state permit doesn’t do anything here, it being valid or not doesn’t matter in Alaska because the test is can you have the gun at all . . . if you can have it you can conceal it. It is a “good guy” card when you hand it to a LEO because it says you passed a background check but handing a LEO an out of state permit and an Alaska ID would likely negate that.

Also, I don’t know about Tennessee but most states have a residency requirement for their permit so when you move out of that state your permit becomes invalid because you no longer meet the permit requirements.
    I was just pointing it out because it could actually get you in trouble if you presented it as ID when it was invalid (expired, revoked, suspended, etc...). It doesn't matter whether you need it or not (I know you don't here in AK). It won't gain you any "good guy" points if it is expired/invalid, but it may cost you some $$$ and a black mark on your record.

Just wandering. Where I live you can buy a handgun with a CCl also. If somebody moves to Alaska what is the law on him buying a handgun in that state. Is there a time limit before buying a handgun? Does he have to wait until he becomes a resident of that state? As I see it Alaska has some very good gun laws.

Quote Originally Posted by Cast Iron View Post
    Just wandering. Where I live you can buy a handgun with a CCl also. If somebody moves to Alaska what is the law on him buying a handgun in that state. Is there a time limit before buying a handgun? Does he have to wait until he becomes a resident of that state? As I see it Alaska has some very good gun laws.
    Now in actual “doing” it’s a bit more difficult! When I moved up I shipped all my handguns to an Anchorage cop that had an FFL as a side You must be age 21 and a resident of the state you buy a handgun by Federal law. Alaska says you are a resident when you are “present within the state with intent to stay” and there is no state time limit so the day you arrive here with intent to live here you can buy. Many people confuse this stuff and will say you aren’t a resident till you have been here “X” time but the law say you must have BEEN a resident for “X” time . . . to hunt/fish under a resident license you must have BEEN an Alaska resident for 1 year for example. To buy a handgun you only need to be a resident (present within the state with intent to stay) age 21, pass the instant check, pay the guy, and walk out with your handgun.

business, picking them up is same as buying them under the law. The day I got to Alaska I went to get them and for his paperwork he needed “evidence” I had moved. He wanted something like a bill mailed to me in Alaska which I didn’t have yet. I ended up getting a physical address from the RV park I was staying at till escrow closed on this house and a mailing address from renting a box at what is now UPS Store. With that and my other papers I got an Alaska CDL and picked up my guns the next day with that. Now, post 9/11/01 it’s much harder to get an Alaska state ID, they want a list of documents so it will likely take a couple weeks to be able to pick up a handgun from an FFL.

A C/C permit does nothing in a gun sale anymore, it used to bypass the background check but the three FFL guys I work with say no more . . . they want proof in their books that they did the check on the day of sale for when the BATF audits them.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

You must be a resident of Alaska (Federal Law) with Alaskan ID.

Other words:

Move here, get a place to live, go get AK drivers license or if you don't drive, a state ID card and you are set. There is no waiting period in Alaska for any firearm sales but if you buy from a FFL holder they will have to do the Instant Check with the BATF.

We can legally buy from other private citizens and when the general public does sales there are no paper work requirements by law (however, recording the person's name, address, id number, date of sale and firearm data for your own records should the firearm end up at a crime scene for your own protection is not illegal either, that's what I do with a private sale as a former gun salesman)