Thread: Chuck Bundrant in Costco's magazine

Default Chuck Bundrant in Costco's magazine

http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/201102#pg1

An interesting feature in Costco's monthly magazine about Chuck (and Joe) Bundrant/Trident. This is more of a fluff/marketing piece, but still interesting. BTW, Trident's salmon patties sold at Costco are pretty darn good (never betten than homemade, though).

Love him or hate him, Chuck is a larger than life icon of Alaska's commercial fisheries.

Default These Are the Positive Threads we need around here

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    http://www.costcoconnection.com/connection/201102#pg1

An interesting feature in Costco's monthly magazine about Chuck (and Joe) Bundrant/Trident. This is more of a fluff/marketing piece, but still interesting. BTW, Trident's salmon patties sold at Costco are pretty darn good (never betten than homemade, though).

Love him or hate him, Chuck is a larger than life icon of Alaska's commercial fisheries.
    Thanks for the link I'll read it directly. You're right MRFISH Chuck is larger than life. I fish for Trident by default because they bought out processing/marketing genious Peter Katell (Bear & Wolf), whom It could be argued, single handedly saved the town of Cordova and put wild Alaska salmon back on top all over the globe where they belong. Thanks Peter!

<edit> Holy crap Trident employs 6000 people!

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Thanks for the link I'll read it directly. You're right MRFISH Chuck is larger than life. I fish for Trident by default because they bought out processing/marketing genious Peter Katell (Bear & Wolf), whom It could be argued, single handedly saved the town of Cordova and put wild Alaska salmon back on top all over the globe where they belong. Thanks Peter!

<edit> Holy crap Trident employs 6000 people!
    Lots of things came into play and turned around salmon prices, especially for pinks...but Peter K. was a big part of that (yeah, that's more of a seine thing...but his contribution is nonetheless noted). He and many others realized that they finally needed to force their fleets out of complacency in regard to quality (John Lowrance is another...and there are certainly many others). Lastly, Bruce Schactler deserves some major credit for helping clear the warehoused glut of canned product.

I was surprised to see AK gillnet coho in the display cases down in the Miami costco when I was down there. I remember the price being very reasonable. The flesh looked firm and the fish had been bled.

Curious, but what brought the pinks back? I was shaking them this season, till the guy at the cannery told me they were paying 50 cents a pound for troll caught pinks, and that they actually wanted them. So, I basically paid for my fuel and expenses with the pinks that I normally shook.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I was surprised to see AK gillnet coho in the display cases down in the Miami costco when I was down there. I remember the price being very reasonable. The flesh looked firm and the fish had been bled.
    Another big, big contributing factor is the media/PR campaign against farmed fish. There was an interesting opinion piece in a Vancouver paper a few days ago -- from their perspective -- about the US-based campaign against farmed fish. I'll try to find it and post here. Whether or not you agree with it...it's always valuable to see things through the eyes of your competition.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Curious, but what brought the pinks back? I was shaking them this season, till the guy at the cannery told me they were paying 50 cents a pound for troll caught pinks, and that they actually wanted them. So, I basically paid for my fuel and expenses with the pinks that I normally shook.
    I'd love other folks' opinions here...but I think it was twofold: the efforts of Schactler and others to move a bunch of canned pink sitting in warehouses and the foresight of Kattel and others to put more pink salmon into something besides a can.

btw: i don'tt mean to mention schactler and kattel as the only people making changes...but they are standouts (IMO) of what helped turn things around in AK.

And here in Cook Inlet, we have the Kenai wild Brand, Kenai River Seafoods, and R&J Seafoods to thank for changing handling techniques and quality standards which have improved prices for us all. I believe the kenai wild branding program and Kenai River Seafoods are a thing of the past, and R&J Seafoods are operating in a much more limited manner than before, but they deserve our thanks for leading the way in delivering a premium product and recapuring a lost market. Today, Copper river Seafoods, Snug harbor and others have icing and bleeding programs in effect that will help to assure premium product is available to the market

Yeah gunner you guys were smart when you came up w/ your own label. Thats what IMO got Scott Blakes attention, oh wait plus Copper river could buy CI set net reds for peanuts (lol) and they didn't even have the pain in the butt of babysitting a tender fleet all they needed was a truck, some totes, a fork lift and some scales

Fullbush did you happen to be one of the lucky ones that made some serious coin on the last of early-run reds back to Main Bay (I believe they called it an "Eyak" stock/strain that was discontinued?)...but one of the last years to get a return came back in a bit bigger than expected and the handful of guys fishing Main Bay got paid Flats prices...

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Fullbush did you happen to be one of the lucky ones that made some serious coin on the last of early-run reds back to Main Bay (I believe they called it an "Eyak" stock/strain that was discontinued?)...but one of the last years to get a return came back in a bit bigger than expected and the handful of guys fishing Main Bay got paid Flats prices...
    Was I one of the fab 14? NO! but after crying in my beer for a night in town w/ the rest of the fleet I snuck out of the harbor w/ Jack jr. and shot over for the last 36 hrs of the 72 hour opener and made 15 grand at Nellie Juan. The rest of the fleet never made an attempt. It was funny cause old twodux was one of the fab14 and he has never been the same I think he did permanent damage to his picking fingers.
    No MRFISH that will never be forgotten, $100,000 in a day w/ a gillnet who would have thunk it? I've dreamed the same dream since I got out of diapers my man