Thread: Which to buy???

Default Which to buy???

Looking for a big quad. The Polaris Sportsman 850 or the Honda Rubicon are my primary choices. Need to haul allot of dirt. Push a little dirt. Pull some stumps. Not trying to go fast. Remote site so no electricity for a battery tender. Like to hear from actual past experiences. Don't want allot of maintenance. Pros andcons...

Thanx

Go with the Polaris. Honda's are not so reliable these days and plus nothing compares to the 850.

The New Polaris is the way to go . I dont think youll be disappointed with it.

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    Looking for a big quad. The Polaris Sportsman 850 or the Honda Rubicon are my primary choices. Need to haul allot of dirt. Push a little dirt. Pull some stumps. Not trying to go fast. Remote site so no electricity for a battery tender. Like to hear from actual past experiences. Don't want allot of maintenance. Pros andcons...

Thanx
    I love my 2006 Rubicon. Never had one issue with it and we plow with it every snow storm. For a battery tender, use a solar powered one if you must. Also, A battery Switch is not a bad idea to prevent any possible drains. I swore up and and down I would never buy another polaris as they are a maintenance nightmare. Way too many greese fittings, and special tools needed to do common jobs. Prior to my Rubicon I had a Polaris Explorer 300. Peice of crap. Spent more time in the shop then riding. Finally sold it for parts. My wife bought a 2009 Ranger and loves it. I did put a second battery and switch for it. Good machine but still a pain in the ass to work on.

Lol Polaris I have the 700x2 and a 700 ranger. One is a 08 and 09 anyhow a nightmare to work on what changing the oil??? I thought it was easy changing spark plugs hard??? I thought it was easy... Grease fittings found all mine not to many... So don't know what is so hard about working on them..

In the old days the polaris wheelers had 3 different chains on them and a leaky PVT belt transmission. The chains had to be tensioned in a specific order and were a PITA to adjust especially in the field. The belt had a tendency to get wet and cause you to stall during deeper water crossings. I also had problems with the wires going into the magnetic hub locks on the push button 4wd. Irony is that 4wd problem was the most annoying issue because it would cause the rig to be 3 wheel drive. What's ironic about that you ask? Honda manufacturers their wheelers as 3 wheel drive on purpose!

All of those problems have long since been fixed as far as I am aware. The only real issue I have with the new ones is the amount of body cladding they use and I don't like the cheap plastic fasteners that hold some of them in place. The plastic racks are a something you either love or hate. I liked the under rack storage compartment feature but I am not sure if they are putting that on the current models anymore.

I know you want a big bore, but the xp 550, has 40 hp, the 800 H.O.'s I believe are only slightly ahead. Just a thought...I looked into the 850s when I got mine...but for the $1500+ upcharge I couldn't see the reason why I needed the 850.

Kevin

Polaris 850______69.06 hp
    Can Am 800 R____67.05 hp (updated 2/13 to 70.5 hp)
    AC 1000_________65.84 hp
    Can Am 800______61.7 hp
    Can Am 650______55.4 hp
    Brute 750 Carb____50.1 hp
    Brute 750 EFI_____49.8 hp
    King Quad 750____49.6 hp
    AC Mud Pro_______49.06 hp
    King 700_________48.5 hp
    Polaris 800_______48.3 hp
    Brute 650 I________46.3 hp
    Grizzly 700________45.6 hp
    Polaris 700_______44.3 hp
    AC 700 H1_______41.4 hp
    AC 700__________41.4 hp
    Brute 650 ________41.4 hp (solid axle)
    Grizzly 660_______40.9 hp
    Can Am 500______40.4 hp
    AC 650 H1_______39.3 hp
    Rincon 680_______38.5 hp
    Grizzly 550________36.9 hp
    King 450_________36.7 hp

sounds to me like you need a big boss 800!

For low-end towing (and stump pulling), focus on the machine's torque, not horsepower. If you want a real workhorse, look at a side-by-side (such as a Ranger).

I have to haul it in by snow machine and a 48" trail is easier to make than a 60" trail. Plus I have to make a bridge for it to go over and a again a narrower bridge would be nicer.