Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tsk, Tsk....another black eye

Hope they catch who did it!!!
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Its amazing what some people will do for trophy

Quote Originally Posted by itchibon69 View Post
    Its amazing what some people will do for trophy
    tro•phy
    1. a cup or other decorative object awarded as a prize for a victory or success
    •a souvenir of achievement, esp. a part of an animal taken when hunting

Not sure this counts as a trophy. Although I suppose anyone could get a "decorative object" (steal a set of horns) without any notable achievement. Then again they'd just be a poser (poacher) without any real notable success beyond thievery.
    Everything that lives and moves will be food for you.
    Genesis 9:3

What a bunch of losers. Are you kidding me? Who would be stupid enough to kill some sheep on the side of the Seward highway? I hope they are found and they get nailed big time. What a bunch of stupid idiots.

thats what im thinking bushwhack, some one had to have seen or heard something on that busy highway! most everyone knows seasons been closed for months now so i hope some one will get the info out to F&G. there are houses of of indian valley for goodness sake, if they dont get caught it will amaze me, what a jack wagon for even thinking it, and what a robery of a great trophy! that someone could have legaly enjoyed!

interesting the article leads off with the sheep being "beheaded" then continues on to say that they harvested all of the meat as well. I thought it was pretty crazy that the story mentions the 2006 case where they gave the taxi 6mos in jail for the same offense! That seems like an awful long time for a sheep to me.

LUJON, you just disapointed me. How can you say a poacher getting 6 months is excessive?

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    LUJON, you just disapointed me. How can you say a poacher getting 6 months is excessive?
    Have you ever been in jail? 6 months is quite a stint to be locked up. It pretty much ensures that you lose everything you have and on top of that they fined him the price of a brand new F150. Just seems awful steep for a sheep.

People who conduct their lives in this manner should consider the consequences before they act. I have no sympathy for those who kill animals in this manner. If they believe it is worth the risk of losing everything they own that is their problem. The sheep lost more than the poacher did.

Quote Originally Posted by HikeHunt View Post
    People who conduct their lives in this manner should consider the consequences before they act. I have no sympathy for those who kill animals in this manner. If they believe it is worth the risk of losing everything they own that is their problem. The sheep lost more than the poacher did.
    Yeah I like this post but I've been on a fervent rep rampage and they've clipped my wings so you're outta luck HikeHunt....good post anyway

I also agree w/ LuJon...prison isn't the answer for poachers you gotta hit them in the pocketbook.

People will do this and the punishment has to be severe enough to deter them from doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Have you ever been in jail? 6 months is quite a stint to be locked up. It pretty much ensures that you lose everything you have and on top of that they fined him the price of a brand new F150. Just seems awful steep for a sheep.

So should the fines be low enough to allow all the sheep to be poached off the highway?
    Only thing that would have been better would be if the bast**d broke his leg coming back to the road, got hit by a truck after he got to the road, then spent 6 months in the hospital BEFROE serving his sentence.
    JMO

It was way more than "just a sheep" Lujon. Besides the fact that this guy had been poaching bears for gall bladders, illegally killing goats and sheep and selling horns on the internet, he had a long history of dooshbeggery. His partner got off even easier. $7200 fine and 17 days in jail. A joke...They should both be stripped of hunting, fishing, trapping, and pfd's for life, IMO.

A simple fine is not enough. How much does a guided sheep hunt go for these days? or the "governors tag" or some other auctioned tag given to SFW. Ok, I guess if the fine was $ 1 million per sheep, maybe I'd go for that...

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    So should the fines be low enough to allow all the sheep to be poached off the highway?
    Only thing that would have been better would be if the bast**d broke his leg coming back to the road, got hit by a truck after he got to the road, then spent 6 months in the hospital BEFROE serving his sentence.
    JMO
    I never understood why people think that when someone speaks out against something like this that they automatically want the opposite extreme. Then again judging by the rest of your post you are clearly a fan of extremes.

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    It was way more than "just a sheep" Lujon. Besides the fact that this guy had been poaching bears for gall bladders, illegally killing goats and sheep and selling horns on the internet, he had a long history of dooshbeggery. His partner got off even easier. $7200 fine and 17 days in jail. A joke...They should both be stripped of hunting, fishing, trapping, and pfd's for life, IMO.

A simple fine is not enough. How much does a guided sheep hunt go for these days? or the "governors tag" or some other auctioned tag given to SFW. Ok, I guess if the fine was $ 1 million per sheep, maybe I'd go for that...
    Yeah, I was stationed in FL when that all went down so never got the rest of the story. Interesting that the article portrays it as if he got 6mos for the sheep, it mentioned other possible crimes claimed by the partner but didn't state that he was charged with them. If he got 6 mos on multiple charges then that is a different story.

The big reason I speak out against excessive punishment is because I understand how easy it is to inadvertently break, or give the appearance of breaking a game law.

\The big reason I speak out against excessive punishment is because I understand how easy it is to inadvertently break, or give the appearance of breaking a game law.
    On that I agree, we do our best, but its always possible to miss something. That said, what these guys did was willful, greedy, selfish, and pointless. Not to mention disrespecting of the game and people of Alaska. For that they "should" have their residency stripped...

Sadfully, I would imagine they could have a hard time finding whoever did this. It seems if someone had seen something, they would have reported it when they saw it, I mean, how are they going to find out who was on the road when this happened, It's not like they can pinpoint it to a certain hour of a certain day when the dip**** brought the sheep off the mountain, and unless he is a complete dip**** he would have not done this during the middle of the day in the daylight. I would love for them to get this guy though, what a piece of ****
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

I never understood why people think that when someone speaks out against something like this that they automatically want the opposite extreme. Then again judging by the rest of your post you are clearly a fan of extremes.
    For someone that claims "sarcasim' as a superpower, YOU seem to not be able to appreciate it when it rears it's head.
    If my thinking that if a person breaks the law should receive full punishment, whether for a game violation or drunk driving (and yes, I don't think those punishments are strict enough - even with the understanding that, years ago, I may have done so) then I guess I fully embrace "extremism".

Anyone that kills a sheep along the Seward Hwy, did not do it "inadvertently"; it was done knowing it was unlaawful & that if caught, there would be penalties to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by hoose35 View Post
    Sadfully, I would imagine they could have a hard time finding whoever did this.
    When he brings it in to a taxidermist to be mounted and the horns are not plugged the taxi will turn him in. Unless the shooter does his own mounts or just wants a DIY euro skull/horn mount, then he can get away with that for a long time.

OR he could think he is really smart and freeze it until next season and bring it in under a HT to get it plugged. Of course the bio should wonder about the freezer burn, or the fully cleaned skull during the season.

There are ways to catch these guys if they are "average" criminals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast