Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** Who Has A Cheaper Winch??? ***

Question *** Who Has A Cheaper Winch??? ***

Well I purchased a 07 Polaris Sportsman 800 last month, it was outfitted with a cheaper Gorilla Winch. That was my only concern on the wheeler and I got it for a good price. So I dont feel to terribly bad now that it is 30 days later and that suspect-able Gorilla winch has already failed me!
    I am on the fence about selling this great machine and want to throw another winch on it. Dont really want to spend $400 on a new warn winch and the Gorilla has already failed once.
    Do any of you guys have any input on a good 2500lb Winch out there that is not to spendy?
    Doesn't Cosco have some kind of ATV winches?
    I live in Wasilla, but will make a trip to town for a cheap winch.
    Or if any of you have a good used one laying around.

Have a 4500 Polaris winch on my ranger. Was worried about it not being a Warn but it has worked very very hard for 2 years now without any problem.

Sorry to hear about the problem with your winch. What exactly do you mean by "...Gorilla winch has already failed me"? Have you tried tearing it down, cleaning it up, inspecting and rel-ubricating it? With any winch, switches and relays do sometimes fail, but they are pretty simple to replace. http://www.promarkoffroad.com/ seems to be handling the replacement parts for Gorilla.

Gorilla winches don't seem to have the best reputation for reliability (just try a Google search). To paraphrase a slogan I saw on a T-shirt: "Good winches aren't cheap...and cheap winches aren't good"! If you are uncomfortable paying for a Warn, you might want to look into Viper.

FWIW, I don't think Costco sells winches. Have you tried posting a want ad on Craigslist?

Thumbs up

I bought a Venom 2500lb winch off e-bay. About 135.00 shipped to my house. This winch is my second Venom. Check it out. They dont ship to Alaska, but they will. So if you do get one send a note you"ll pay the extra cost to ship. Its like 14 bucks more. They messed up my second order just by waiting on aprovel to charge my card I had already approved. Sent me a Snatch block to boot. Its also water proof.

Quote Originally Posted by junkak View Post
    Have a 4500 Polaris winch on my ranger. Was worried about it not being a Warn but it has worked very very hard for 2 years now without any problem.
    Warn makes them for Polaris.. I had a 4,000 lb on my ranger broke took it in to six states and they sent it off to warn and I got a brand new warn winch.

With a Warn winch yes you pay more but the warranty program is the best no questions asked! You break the winch send it back to them and you are getting another one... Thats whats good about warn.

I have been following these budget winches on highlifter for quite a while and plan on picking up one of the viper winches for my wifes yammi kodiak this year. They continue to get good reviews for both the winch and the customer service.

Another option is Mile Marker, Six Robblees sells them, they are cheaper than Warn but not cheap, I've put several on customers equipment trailers and have not had one fail yet, I tried going cheap several years back by buying the Schucks ones and had a 100% failure rate they were just like the ones Costco has, sure you can get your money back if they fail but the real question is can you get your wheeler back when they fail?
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Try a Viper, As soon as I get my second Warn back (I've been waiting 2.5 months) it is getting sold. My Viper didn't let me down and it spent a lot of time under water and long hard pulls. Amongst me and three other friends we've gone through 7 Warns in less than two years. Everyone now has Vipers, and no one beats their warranty or customer service, period.

www.harborfreight.com/manual-strap-winch-95541.html

These are cheap and a pretty good backup, and easy to carry.

X4 on the Viper they ship to AK too.

X5 on the Viper Winches. I have two a 2500lb and a 4500lb had them for two years and they work great. They have excellent customer service and have been fast to ship stuff out.

http://motoalliance.com/

When one is 'stuck' a ways from the road, a 'CHEAP' winch is not the way to go. I have used Warn winches (1500 lbs all the way to 10,000 lbs) for about 35 years and have never had an issue with any of them. All winches need maintainance from time to time no matter the brand. Spend the little extra and get a Warn. I know that most of the 'discount' stores have them but have you looked at places like 'Six States', TrailerCraft and Six Roblees?
    I currently have three Warn winches, two on the four wheelers and one for the snow machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock_skipper View Post
    www.harborfreight.com/manual-strap-winch-95541.html

These are cheap and a pretty good backup, and easy to carry.
    That's a cool idea, you could probably take off the strap and replace it with abot 3 times as much Amsteel line.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

I''m running a 2500# Superwinch and it has not let me down in the last 2 years of plow duty and pulling my Kodiak out. Costco gets in the Champion brand winches in the spring.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    When one is 'stuck' a ways from the road, a 'CHEAP' winch is not the way to go. I have used Warn winches (1500 lbs all the way to 10,000 lbs) for about 35 years and have never had an issue with any of them. All winches need maintainance from time to time no matter the brand. Spend the little extra and get a Warn. I know that most of the 'discount' stores have them but have you looked at places like 'Six States', TrailerCraft and Six Roblees?
    I currently have three Warn winches, two on the four wheelers and one for the snow machine.
    I have had a viper , Extreme Ebay winch and a Warn winch the only one that has let me down was the Warn winch. But the Warn came with a used 4 wheeler I bought so I'm not sure what it had been through.

Lowe&Slow,

Did'nt think about that, but its a good idea.

I was just thinking that I would haul something with me (rope, straps,etc) to reach out there, but now you have me thinking.

I do like the nylon because of the stretching factor, put a load on it and the machine is about half of the weight, rubberband effect, lol.

Mile Marker I second this one, I have the 3000 lb. synthetic cable on my 750 Brute Force. I purchased it for about half $$$ of a Warn picked up local vs. shipped to AK from Cabelas, watch for the coupon for free shipping it qualified.

I second the Mile marker, steel gears, I have the 3000lb synthetic, It had a sweet front switch & a removable remote lead at the rear, quality products in my book. It was less than half of a Warn locally, shipped to AK from Cabelas, watch for the coupon it qualified for cheap shipping for the weight. It sits on my Brute Force 750. I have used it to turn over moose easily. Great warranty.

I use a Superwinch Terra 25, 2500#. Works great, easy to install. $166 and free shipping on Amazon. I added the $51 synthetic rope, also with free shipping, and changed it out before installation. For some strange reason the same winch with the synthetic rope already included is over $300.

The winch:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

The rope:
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Stew

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast