Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pull Start is Slipping?

Default Pull Start is Slipping?

I have a 2007 RMK 650. The pull start started slipping a couple days ago. I pull it and it doesn't catch. I have to sit there and mess with it for a little while to get it to catch. It only does it about 50% of the time, and it only seems to happen when the machine is warmed up and been running a while.

Anyone have any idea on what this might be?

The first thing to do is take apart and clean it good,that would be the only way you will know what the problem is ,do not wait until you have 100% failure to ingage. There is almost a 100% chance that it is not going to get better on its own. Good Luck

Thanks. I'm hoping to get it in the garage this weekend to pull it apart.

I would not pull it all the way apart. In other words, dont pull the spiral spring out (the one that makes the rope go back in after you pull it out). Most likely it is something you will be able to see when you pull the starter housing off, I would guess that something just needs to be cleaned or greased up so that it engages the rachet to grab onto the flywheel or something along those lines. If anything is dirty or gunked up, clean it and try it again. If the rope is going back into the housing fine after you pull it out then the spring is fine, so DONT mess with it. They are tough to get back in unless you do it everyday.

Before taking anything apart, I'd make sure the recoil housing is securely bolted on. If you have loose bolts the recoil can flex enough to keep it from engaging the flywheel. If thats not the problem, then cleaning it up will probably solve it...

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Before taking anything apart, I'd make sure the recoil housing is securely bolted on. If you have loose bolts the recoil can flex enough to keep it from engaging the flywheel. If thats not the problem, then cleaning it up will probably solve it...
    Good point. Should have mentioned that! Haha

Thanks for all the help guys. Finally got it into the shop this weekend and took it apart. The ratchet that engages the flywheel was pretty gunked up. I took it apart and cleaned it real well and then re-greased it. Seems to have done the trick.

Out of curiosity, why do they use springs to hold on the exhaust system? I had to remove that to get to the recoil housing and it was a huge pain to get those springs back on when I was done.

Quote Originally Posted by Here's to Life! View Post
    I took it apart and cleaned it real well and then re-greased it. Out of curiosity, why do they use springs to hold on the exhaust system? I had to remove that to get to the recoil housing and it was a huge pain to get those springs back on when I was done.
    You do mean oiled, low temp oil?
    If the exhaust was boted on thing would break, it need to flex.

Hopefully you didn't grease it, as it becomes really sluggish to retract when the temps drop...
    BK

My recoils go together dry and clean.
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Yes. it was oil. Sorry about the mistype. After I cleaned it it seamed to work ok without the oil, but there is a little bit of metal on metal there so I put a little bit of oil on it. Had it out all day today and I didn't have a single problem with it.

Wait for a really cold day. Go out and pull it very slow. If the dogs kick out, then see if if recoils by itself. If so, you should be good until that temp.

What oil did you use and where did you put it? On the recoil spring or on the dogs too?
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Flexibility/vibration definately, Vicegrips are your best friend when dealing with exhaust springs.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyt View Post
    Flexibility/vibration definately, Vicegrips are your best friend when dealing with exhaust springs.
    I figured that out after messing with them for about 30min. Once I switched to vice grips, I was done in 5min.

Wait for a really cold day. Go out and pull it very slow. If the dogs kick out, then see if if recoils by itself. If so, you should be good until that temp. What oil did you use and where did you put it? On the recoil spring or on the dogs too?

I don't know what you mean by "dogs" (I guess I should mention I have limited mechanical knowledge when it comes to snowmachines. However, I like to think I have plenty of common sense in the area). I put the oil on the ratchet. I didn't even mess with the recoil spring at all.

I don't know what kind of oil it was, just some gear oil I found in my father-in-law's shop. Hopefully it will work. I guess we will find out next time it gets real cold.

Thanks again for everyone's help on this.

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyt View Post

And wear a pair of gloves while youre removing or installing the exhaust springs...your knuckles will thank you!

"Dogs" are the arms that rotate out and engage the flywheel. Keep clean and if anything use some light teflon spray.

Get an exhaust spring puller if you plan on removing the exhaust a lot! These things are slick!

0000_Motion_Pro_Spring_Puller_--.jpg

I use a pair of 45 degree angled needle nose pliers - a beefy set. They work great. 2 seconds top on and off with the springs.

Quote Originally Posted by gpaul99 View Post
    Get an exhaust spring puller if you plan on removing the exhaust a lot! These things are slick!
    That's exactly what I needed. I guess I will know for next time. Thanks!

if you get a spring tool get one of the good push pull kind, you can push springs on or off in some tight spots where you can't always pull them off, they are practically a must on some of the newer sleds, shoelaces work pretty good in a pinch also for pulling springs, i used to just use needle nose vice grip pliers but that ain't near as good as shoestrings or spring tool...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast