Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lights?

Default Lights?

What kind of lights do you carry with you when out for a day,week ,ect.
    I carry 2 head lamps and a pen light with me AAA batteries in the head gear and AA in the pen and gps.

Progress seems to keep the list changing for me as does the situation.
    However, I of late, wear one LED hat clip on light - keep a spare in my pack - and I have a LED flashlight I can clip to my belt that is pretty nice - it runs on 2 c cell batteries - will last 2 seasons on one set of batteries sometimes. I try to buy the lithium batteries as they seem to give you more run time also.
    I keep a 1,000,000 power Beam spotlight that runs on a rechargeable battery ( I keep a spare with it ) in my vehicle or boat for emg use. It will last a week on one battery if I use it wisely - makes night lake travel a breeze!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Depends on time of year and my activity but generally I will have at least one headlamp and one LED flashlight. More light and/or batteries in winter than in summer.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

To simplify things I only take lights that use AA batteries, and to make the batteries last a long time I only use LED lights. Most headlamps use AAA, so I end up passing a lot of otherwise good devices, but the AA batteries last much longer and I only have to use one battery type for lights, GPS and camera. I prefer the lights that use 4 cells and have a voltage regulator because the light stays at the max brightness longer.

I usually have a 3 watt LED headlamp and a 1 watt LED cell hand flashlight when I'm out & about. Same when in the car. I took a 4 week trip through Grand Canyon last December, and only changed batteries once in the headlamp, and not at all in the hand held light.

When camping or hunting I typically carry two flashlights made by 4-Sevens powered by AA and one AAA. one has a hat clip so it doubles as a headlamp. My dedicated headlamp is a fenix HP10 225 lumen six mode torch. Bulky as it may be this headlamp is impressive and reasonably priced.

Flashlight technology is advancing almost as fast as computers. The day of the maglites reigning supreme are over. Seriously do your research and you will find this industry is now bringing serious daylight to the night.

My favorites are 4-Sevens, Fenix, and Jetbeam. And Stanley receives a mention due to their inexpensive HID handheld spotlights.

I just take my black diamond spot headlamp with some extra AAA batteries. That is good enough for me.

Quote Originally Posted by headhunter353 View Post
    What kind of lights do you carry with you when out for a day,week ,ect.
    I carry 2 head lamps and a pen light with me AAA batteries in the head gear and AA in the pen and gps.

I always bring the same three lights:
    A decent surefire weapons light, a Brunton 360 LED lantern/flashlight that can use any battery you want, and an Apex Pro extreme headlamp which puts the battery pack near your body. The Princeton APEX pro takes AA batteries. I've done three snowmachine trips on the same set of batteries. The darned thing puts out 100 lumens if yah need to. The weapons light never gets used (save the batteries, it's only for noises around the boat at night (bears getting into stuff). The brunton LED lantern get used to illuminate the tent, or go to the bathroom. My Headlamp is the bread and butter of lighting.

i only use hid flashlights
    Semper Fi!

I like the new LED mini mag lights.....got the distress feature, the lantern, and a nice bright spot beam....pretty nice little tool is all i can say for it....it goes with me everywhere.

Release Lake Trout

I just picked up a new flashlight that I'm really excited about. It is a 4-sevens quark 123 squared with an 18650 body and deep carry pocket clip. I'm running AW 2600ah 18650 lith batteries. According to ANSI this light punches out 200 lumens with the stock 123 batts.

This flashlight is nothing short of amazing. Basically it's a medium cigar sized flashlight that pushes twice as many lumens than most other lights on the market. The beam is perfect. No donut holes or halo's. The ui is almost perfect for my use. I'm going to add a removable 360 defuser for tent use and they are ipx8 waterproof.

If you guys havnt looked at the 4 sevens website do yourself a favor and give it a good once over. My favorites have been the preon 2 for edc, and the quark AA for hunting. The quark AA has a reversible clip so you can use it as an emergency headlamp on your hat bill. These are great lights at good prices.

http://www.4sevens.com/index.php?cPath=297

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    a 4-sevens quark 123 squared.... this light punches out 200 lumens with the stock 123 batts.
    why the squared model versus the 123 mini...curious the mini's output is actually higher at 210 lumens....

...oh, and stop posting stuff like this....every time you do I end up buying a new little toy...

...your little product reviews already ended up costing me a bino pouch and a backpack just this month...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Haven't tried this one yet but I kind of like the remote control feature. Could be handy for when we're in the tent and critters outside are rustling around a bit.

http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...id=10454&brand=

I wanted to use the rechargeable lithium 18650 batteries that I already use in my Jetbeam. I'll get a higher output and longer runtimes with the 18650.

You can't use rechargeables with the mini and I didn't see a pocket clip either. The mini looks cool but I'd probably buy the quark AA if I was to buy another light.

I'm fed up with buying batteries so I'm moving to all rechargeables. The preon is killing the aaa batts when it gets clicked on in my pocket. Dam thing is ususally dead when I need it.

Petzl Tikka XP: The utility of headlamps is hard to beat for me. I use the light diffuser on the Tikka XP quite a bit; which gives even area lighting handy for reading or searching for a dropped item.

Managing batteries: For most in-the-field lighting (and other) applications, battery management becomes one good way to simplify gear as Jim Strutz mentioned. I carry an extra headlamp (instead of AAA cells) and use AA batteries for any other electricals. Nowadays with Lithium AAs, performance is excellent; good power output, last forever and resistant to cold temps. This fall, I used lithium batteries in the field for area lighting and bear fence.

i use surefire for personal and weapon lights system for rifle and handgun sets up along with a 6.cell d-sized mag light on the truck door for use as need and a couple of headlamps in the truck bad weather bag for use as need ..

A Princeton Tec headlamp.
    Streamlight TL-2 LED
    Brunton Lucy Isobutane lantern mostly for quick tent heat.
    A red and a green Krill light.
    A hand-cranked LED.
    Brunton LED mini lantern.
    Photon LEDs hang off every zipper.

Yeah, I guess maybe I probably tend to over pack a bit.
    Now what ?

I try to use the lights with AA, that way I just carry AA extras for hdlamp,gps, and pen lights. I've also added the surefire for backup or for spotting. The one light thats always in my pack is the cheap and trusty shakeup light, requires no batts just shake and go, but it only lasts like 2 mins. I have had to use it a few times when snowshoeing my trap line and I grabbed the dead batts instead or forgot to grab extras.

One of the small Surefires with at least 60 lums. A small LED flash light and a small LED head light. I have also grown attached to the LED lantern with the remote control. The last 2 take AA bateries.

I always carry my 3 D cell LED mag light with the new rebel LED. Gets over 70 hours on a single set of batterys. Aside from that I carry a Small pen light that runs on AA's. The mag may be heavy, but it makes it daylight for a long time, and isnt easy to lose.

1. RA HDS Clicky Tactical and 2. surefire Minimus and a Novitac as back-up/surv kit light all take cr123 batteries...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast