Thread: Hunting Book Collection - Alaska focus

Default Hunting Book Collection - Alaska focus

Gents,
    Am starting to have a few books in my collection. My wife just bought me a hard backed edition of Robert Ruark's "The Old Man and The Boy", (technically fiction I know...but great stories) and I am always looking for a early edition of "African Game Trails", by Teddy Roosevelt (I've worn out the library's edition), and I have a couple of others. Most of the books I have are focused on Africa, and I want to start looking at some about Alaska.
    I was wondering if some of you might take a minute or two and list your top two or three favorites. I am more interested in stuff written before 1980 or so, but am by no means a book snob...ok....I refuse to read any Lee and Tiffany adventures (unless it is a picture book)

Look forward to seeing your favorites

For an Alaskan focus, anything by Russell Annabel - fiction but definitely Alaskan, "the Wilderness Called Denali", by Charles Sheldon. A book titled "Dangerous River" by George Patterson is worth a read also - deals with early 1900's travel in the NW Territories.

North of the Sun by Fred Hatfield - about living the life of a trapper in the Dillingham area in the 1930's or so. One of my favorite books, but hard to find. Another favorite of mine is Dangerous River (like Gary mentioned). It isn't about Alaska per se, but still one of the better wilderness travel and hunting books I've ever read. It can be hard to find, but it is well worth the extra effort and expense. Additionally, any of the other books written by RM Patterson are also really good as well. Others I have include The Quest for Dall Sheep, Hunting the way it was in our Changing Alaska, Kantishna, Alaska Yukon trophies won and lost, and many more. Check in the store portion of this site for some good ideas.

Would certainly also recommend going through the AOD book store on this site:
    http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/sto...cnbsq2vbpkv7k2

Alaska Yukon Trophies Won and Lost by G.O. Young is worth having, along with others offered here.

Doesn't quite fit the Alaska focus, but would highly recommend Dersu the Trapper by V.K. Arseniev, far eastern Siberia right across from Alaska, 1900 time period, some amazing hunting stories and insights of the times in that region.

Shadows on the Koyukuk by Sidney Huntington, and Alaska's Wolf Man by Frank Glaser, both as told to Jim Rearden, are favorites, as are anything by Andy Russell (Canadian stories, mostly, but still excellent).
    " Gas boats are bad enough, autos are an invention of the devil, and airplanes are worse." ~Allen Hasselborg

One of my favorites is "The Last of the Great Brown Bear Men" by M. Clark. It chronicles the well known duo of Pinnell and Talifson as they evolve into a pair of the most respected bear hunters of Kodiak Island from the 1930's until the 70's. Of course, Russell Annabel is synonomous with Alaska hunting (even if there is a good deal of fiction contained therein). As others have mentioned, the forum's store is a good place to start. Enjoy!