Thread: Accurizing 77-22 Hornet Ruger?

Default Accurizing 77-22 Hornet Ruger?

Been playing with a 22 Hornet I just picked up in a trade.

At 100 yards it does not group well at all. I have read through a few internet sites and apparently they are hit and miss, due to Ruger making over-sized chambers and sloppy two-piece bolts.

I have seen some articles about putting a shim type washer between the two bolt parts.
    Plus others about setting back the barrel by two threads and making a better chamber.

Has anyone tried any methods? I tried the shim thing tonight but the shim was too thick after an hour of making one, so now it is time for some Scotch...

Oh here was my luck so far.

1. 40gr V-Max, 13.0 grains Lil' Gun, WW Brass, CCI SR, 1,800 col.
    Too long for magazine feed. Vel= 3,000 fps average but a 1.75 inch group at 100 yards.

2. 50gr Speer TNT, 12.3grains Lil Gun, WW Brass, CCI-sr, 1.790 col.
    Feeds nice, Vel=2,900 fps and a 1.75 inch group

3. 50gr Speer TNT, 11.8 grains Lil Gun, WW Brass, CCI-SR, 1.790 col
    Oddly enough shoots higher by 5 inches. VEL=2,750 and a HUGE 3 inch group

These loads stretch the brass. A lot more than I would think they should.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

My expeirence has been that the 22 Hornet isn't an inherently accurate cartridge. My most accurate was a TC contender. It worked best when I only neck sized the brass.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Oh here was my luck so far.

1. 40gr V-Max, 13.0 grains Lil' Gun, WW Brass, CCI SR, 1,800 col.
    Too long for magazine feed. Vel= 3,000 fps average but a 1.75 inch group at 100 yards.

2. 50gr Speer TNT, 12.3grains Lil Gun, WW Brass, CCI-sr, 1.790 col.
    Feeds nice, Vel=2,900 fps and a 1.75 inch group

3. 50gr Speer TNT, 11.8 grains Lil Gun, WW Brass, CCI-SR, 1.790 col
    Oddly enough shoots higher by 5 inches. VEL=2,750 and a HUGE 3 inch group
    Lots of things contribute to less than stellar accuracy, but in the Hornet I've seen a primer switch make significant gains/losses in accuracy. IME less is more when choosing ignition for the Hornet.

These loads stretch the brass. A lot more than I would think they should.
    The Hornet can be particular in lots of ways. If I were to set the barrel back, I'd chamber for the K-Hornet to help remedy the brass stretch.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

I don't have firsthand experience, but I watched (and listened to!) a friend struggle with his for 2 years. He finally had the chamber opened to K Hornet, and the thing instantly turned into a tack driver. I guess the difference was startling and well worth the price of admission.

I have often wondered about the real advantages of the K-Hornet over the traditional round. I know it goes a little faster, but always wondered about how the case life was changed.

I did some work on the trigger and managed to take it from around 9 pounds, (yes 9) down to about 4 pounds with no creep.

The shim washer I made last night for the bolt was about 0.025 thick and that proved to be too much.
    I need to make a shim washer about 0.010 thick... What a pain in the butt.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Oddly the Lee factory crimps die seems to shrink groups.
    I think the chambers and the brass specs vary quite a bit from each other.
    I do have a K hornet that shoots very well with 2400 and Hornady bullets, is a Martini,

I have often wondered about the real advantages of the K-Hornet over the traditional round. I know it goes a little faster, but always wondered about how the case life was changed.
    My bud did it to give the case a shoulder for head spacing, both for accuracy and to limit case stretch. It paid off handsomely on both counts. As I recall he wasn't looking for extra velocity, but did find that accuracy was further improved as he moved up toward max in the K version.

One other thing I recall him saying. He miked the thickness of the rims of a bunch of cases and found a fair bit of variability even in the same box, overcoming which was the original motivation for the rechamber. He still mikes for over-thick rims, but other than that he seats the bullet out to engage the rifling on fire forming, then neck sizes only, and doesn't care much about fluctuating rim thickness.