Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kid Friendly Halibut Charter

Default Kid Friendly Halibut Charter

I am looking into the idea of doing a halibut charter this summer and would love to take the family with me. My son will be 9 and my daughter will be turning 7. I would really like to take them with and have them fish too! The wife and I would like to go out of Homer, since we have never been there; however, if the experience would be better somewhere else, then we would not be opposed to a different spot. I appreciate your help and advice on location. Thanks!

Terry

I have done one of the half day charters on a big party boat out of Homer and that might be a good option. You will only catch chickens, but it is comfortable and a fairly short trip, and less expensive than a full day. When I did that trip; I figured that that would be what I would do when I could bring my kids.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Quote Originally Posted by moose-head View Post
    I have done one of the half day charters on a big party boat out of Homer and that might be a good option. You will only catch chickens, but it is comfortable and a fairly short trip, and less expensive than a full day. When I did that trip; I figured that that would be what I would do when I could bring my kids.
    Spot on advice. I've seen the half day charters go out and they have lots of fun. You will catch fish till your arms are dead.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

The only caveat with homer is due to the high tidal swings they tend to fish with very heavy sinkers, i.e. 3-5#'s. Younger kids have a very hard time realing up such heavy sinkers. You might want to consider valdez, and see if there are charters that use jigging rods. Jigging rods are much lighter than tuna sticks, and jigs are lighter than cod sinkers.

Based on what I've seen with my kids, a 7 and 9 y/o would be miserable fishing bait with heavy rods and sinkers.

I'd really consider the reeling in here. I've seen adult men and women get tired after reeling in 20 pound "chickens," with the proverbial "my arms are gonna fall off" lingo! That said, I hope you're kids are strong, because in Homer they will be using 3-5# sinkers. PM me if you'd like a cheap, reputable, 1/2 day halibut charter and I'll share my info.

Depending on size and strenght of kids you can always let them use electric reels.

Tiger15 Not sure how long you've been stationed in Alaska but here is a very affordable option for you in Seward. http://sewardresort.com/index.html They don't catch the largest fish but they do catch fish and the price is right. They do however have a 4'2" limit on passengers. Not sure how tall your children are. The resort is 1st Class and have lots of things for kids to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    The only caveat with homer is due to the high tidal swings they tend to fish with very heavy sinkers, i.e. 3-5#'s.
    I'm sure you must realize this Paul, but there are times in Homer when the tidal swing is not that big. There are BIG tidal swings wherever you go in Alaska. I have to imagine you realize tides change over time and there are times when the tidal swing here in Homer is only 6 or 7 ft. which doesn't require heavy sinkers. There are days I only use 8 oz. sinkers without a problem.

A blanket statement like "Fuel E Fishin Sea" said that "in Homer they will be uising 3-5# sinkers" is total nonsense. I have NEVER used 5# sinker and VERY rarely use anything more than 24 oz. unless absolutely necessary.

And I have no "height limit" on the people I take on board.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I'm sure you must realize this Paul, but there are times in Homer when the tidal swing is not that big. There are BIG tidal swings wherever you go in Alaska. I have to imagine you realize tides change over time and there are times when the tidal swing here in Homer is only 6 or 7 ft. which doesn't require heavy sinkers. There are days I only use 8 oz. sinkers without a problem.

A blanket statement like "Fuel E Fishin Sea" said that "in Homer they will be uising 3-5# sinkers" is total nonsense. I have NEVER used 5# sinker and VERY rarely use anything more than 24 oz. unless absolutely necessary.

Good point Mutt.The halfdays fish with 2#ers to help eliminate tangles and fish around the tides for max enjoyment.Not to say it won`t be a work out for the kids but thats all part of the fun. A few calls might put you in touch with a charter that might cater to your personalized needs.Pick a smaller tide.Have fun and good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Muttley Crew Fishing View Post
    I don't think the sides of your boat are as high as the Military Charters. Kinda like using the big boy uninal and having to stand on your tippy toes and arc your stream just to get it in. Not really practical nor fun for a little kid if dad has to hold him up to fish. Might be able to put 2 of your boats on their deck.

We fished a huge tide in Homer back in June and we never used anything over 2# weights and never fished in over 100ft of water. Had a great time. Just start talking to charters and see what they say.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

If you are bringing two kids, go with a 6 pac charter and get the whole boat for the fam. If they do fine, then move up to the bigger party boats.

Every kid is different, but for kids that aren't familiar with being at sea, I think being on as large of a boat as possible is the best way to go...for the sake of them having space to move around or finding space to do their own thing (besides fishing).

This, of course, is the counterpoint of being on a smaller (6 or fewer passenger boat) and puts you on a boat with a bunch of other people and very unlikely to be able to control where the boat goes if the kids aren't happy.

Larger boats also "move" less...and IMO are less likely to cause seasickness. But everyone is different...some are more likely to get sick on a big boat with a slow roll and others on a smaller boat...

I don't know how the black bass fishing is in Homer but if you find a charter that will take you to a dynamite fishing hole the whole family will have a blast. My kids love fishing for them and they are 6 and 3 years of age. You can use light tackle that is easier to for the kids to handle.

Olin

Quote Originally Posted by kodiak kid View Post
    I don't know how the black bass fishing is in Homer but if you find a charter that will take you to a dynamite fishing hole the whole family will have a blast. My kids love fishing for them and they are 6 and 3 years of age. You can use light tackle that is easier to for the kids to handle.

Olin
    This would be my first recommendation...target smaller fish with lighter gear for the young folks. I know Muttley could take you out and have a heck of a good time not too far out and enough action to keep them interested...it`s nice how he caters to small groups.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

Your best bet is to rent the whole boat that way you have a say on what the charter will do. Your kids may not want to fish or can not take the sea its no big deal if you are the paying for the boat. Do your kids get car sick,plane sick, or get sick on fair rides if so they will not make it on the ocean. Many boats will not take kids for those reasons.

I never thought about a charter outfit not taking kids before.
    Or having Height limits etc.
    That would be a good thing to ask when looking for a charter operator ...what limitations they do put on the customers.??
    That would make a difference to me no matter if I had little ones coming along or not.
    ................ So on the captains on his death bed, and he proclaims,, "and by God, I never let any children under 4 ft 2 " on my Boat" !!"
    And I Want that put on my headstone for all to see.."
    For Me,, Life is a little to short to spend time around folks and businesses that think that way...
    You know why??? Because one day... you just Die.... and what truly you thought was important was not, because it was selfish..
    I can understand that if you are a split group sharing a boat, that you would not want to go back in early or what ever due to a small one getting sick on the boat, but what a small price in life to pay,, when you get the chance to spend some time on the water with children.. even if they are not your own....
    Kinda like the little convienience stores you see sometimes up here in Alaska, that have a sign on the door that reads " No Public Restrooms".
    One of the most important functions of life denied because someone does not want the hassel of offering that very important and very much appreciated service... Such things boggle my mind.... We make it a point to remember those places as we travel around the state and make sure we do not spend a dime at that location or recomend them to anyone...
    Back to the Family friendly charters for our Thread starter..
    Thinking of my kids and our fishing trips, they so enjoyed the bass fishing out of seward etc. the chance at a big ling cod is there too and oft times the bass can be found in protected coves etc.
    Halibut are not always kid friendly fish to bring up no matter the weight, but My kids never seemed to mind if we just went out after halibut, they just looked my way when the had enough reeling and I could lend a little cheerleading and what ever... very special times in my memories...
    I may be able to help if you need someone that is kid friendly ..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskacanoe View Post
    I never thought about a charter outfit not taking kids before.
    Or having Height limits etc.
    That would be a good thing to ask when looking for a charter operator ...what limitations they do put on the customers.??
    That would make a difference to me no matter if I had little ones coming along or not.
    ................ So on the captains on his death bed, and he proclaims,, "and by God, I never let any children under 4 ft 2 " on my Boat" !!"
    And I Want that put on my headstone for all to see.."
    For Me,, Life is a little to short to spend time around folks and businesses that think that way...
    You know why??? Because one day... you just Die.... and what truly you thought was important was not, because it was selfish..
    I can understand that if you are a split group sharing a boat, that you would not want to go back in early or what ever due to a small one getting sick on the boat, but what a small price in life to pay,, when you get the chance to spend some time on the water with children.. even if they are not your own....
    Kinda like the little convienience stores you see sometimes up here in Alaska, that have a sign on the door that reads " No Public Restrooms".
    One of the most important functions of life denied because someone does not want the hassel of offering that very important and very much appreciated service... Such things boggle my mind.... We make it a point to remember those places as we travel around the state and make sure we do not spend a dime at that location or recomend them to anyone...
    Back to the Family friendly charters for our Thread starter..
    Thinking of my kids and our fishing trips, they so enjoyed the bass fishing out of seward etc. the chance at a big ling cod is there too and oft times the bass can be found in protected coves etc.
    Halibut are not always kid friendly fish to bring up no matter the weight, but My kids never seemed to mind if we just went out after halibut, they just looked my way when the had enough reeling and I could lend a little cheerleading and what ever... very special times in my memories...
    I may be able to help if you need someone that is kid friendly ..
    Max

Umm...Not to try and insult you or offend you but alot of the time A height limit is for the childrens safety I wouldnt want to be on a boat that allows all age children or babies on board...especially since I use MWR charters mostly for my halibut fishing and usually that is no place for young children...But I guess to each their own(and their children as well).My advice is When we brought my cousins out to homer we used the spirit.its a big overnight boat but your kids should be able to fish comfortably.
    There's a fine line between fishing....

and standing on the shore like an idiot! ALLEN BRADLEY-TANGLE LAKES ADVOCATE/FANBOY

I had many days where I would not have been comfortable with a child on board, due to rough seas. If it's blowing 25kts and you are fishing in the 8ft nast, that is no place for a kid. It wouldn't be fair to the other paying clients too if they couldn't go out and blow chunks (and load up on fish) because their were kids on board.

Also, when people go to a charter, they go to fish.. Not to have kids running around them. Kids can naturally be a pain the the ***, without much effort. Like I said, get the whole boat. For your sake, and for the sake of everybody else. I fish with my kids all the time, but I'd never subject anyone else to fishing with them, particularly people who are paying a good price. (grin)

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I read some ideas I have not yet considered, but sound very intriguing. The sound of going after smaller fish is nearing the top of the list. We are still pretty set on Homer, as we have traveled to Valdez and Seward on different occasions and have never been to Homer.

Although I am somewhat biased on the topic, my kids are well-behaved and more importantly well-mannered (they take after their mother more than I). They are also pretty tough kids too. They have spent the majority of the lives either in a vehicle, plane or train travelling the US and Europe. On occasion we have spent time on the water, but I too know all to often how the seas can change quickly and turn a good day into a bad day. The last thing I would want to happen is a day like that and my kids have a miserable time that would have a lasting affect on them.

Also, the idea of a smaller boat I think is better too. I have been on bigger boats in the past and have not really enjoyed the experience all that much. Plus I like the more personable feel to a smaller vessel.

Once again, thanks for all the advice and replies. I will be sure to post pictures of trip later in the year hopefully with big smiles and lots of fish!!

Terry

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast