Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help getting my boat to anchorage!

Default help getting my boat to anchorage!

I have a 14' flat bottom boat across the inlet in beluga. I can get as far east as the lewis river. I would like to get it to anchorage to repaint and use for duck hunting since I do not fish that area any longer. I believe I could get to the mouth of the big su along the coast line on a calm day during a high tide. I need some advice. Do you all think it is possible to do? I know my father took the boat there about 15 years ago when I was young. I have a 30 horse johnson prop motor I can use to power the boat. But I am worried. Have any of you boated in the area? Do you have any suggestions? THANKS FOR THE HELP Ill attach a picture of me standing on the boat

duck hunt 2009.jpeg

It could be done but it better be a very calm day and hope that if it does start to get rough you may be on the beach for a while

AK375HH,
    Check with the owner of the store over there to see if he has barges going back and forth (Freeman MIGHT be his name if memory serves me correctly) in the near future. While drilling for Conoco over there the last few summers barges were coming in about twice a week with supplies and going back to Kenai almost empty.
    Also, Spernack flies to/from on a daily basis. If it's small enough you might be able to stuff into one of their planes....maybe?!
    Justa couple ideas for ya....
    BK

Tie it to the top of the truck in the background and DRIVE it to Anchorage
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Do you have a snowmachine and a freight sled? Should be a pretty easy haul anytime between now and April.

Quote Originally Posted by Corn View Post
    Do you have a snowmachine and a freight sled? Should be a pretty easy haul anytime between now and April.
    Just a snowmachine will do just drag the boat it its own sled!

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by AK375HH View Post
    I have a 14' flat bottom boat across the inlet in beluga. I can get as far east as the lewis river. I would like to get it to anchorage to repaint and use for duck hunting since I do not fish that area any longer. I believe I could get to the mouth of the big su along the coast line on a calm day during a high tide. I need some advice. Do you all think it is possible to do? I know my father took the boat there about 15 years ago when I was young. I have a 30 horse johnson prop motor I can use to power the boat. But I am worried. Have any of you boated in the area? Do you have any suggestions? THANKS FOR THE HELP Ill attach a picture of me standing on the boat

duck hunt 2009.jpeg
    a 16ft Jon boat is the smallest I've ever crossed Cook Inlet with.. figure an hour and 15 or 20 mins..DON'T go on a windy day.. especially if it's coming out of Turnagain...!!! KNOW your tides.. Tide turn around in Anchorage (upper Cook Inlet) is fast.. You have to hit Anchorage just right on an incoming tide to get clear up to the boat ramp... and DON'T be caught out there at Low Tide and run the risk of getting flipped by a Bore-Tide.... all that said.... I'd try the Snow Machine trick first.... Regards Old John

People use the gas line trail to get over there all the time, it runs right into the Beluga road system and woud be a very easy snowmachine trip, you'll probably want a rigid tow bar of some sort so you don't make the paper by being the guy killed by a boat while snowmachineing if you do PM me and I'll fab something up for you real quick.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

OK. I will say it. DON'T TAKE THAT BOAT ACROSS THE INLET. It is not worth your life for a couple hundred dollar boat. I have been out there when it was flat calm and beautiful, and it changed very quickly with the tide. I was in a 20' Thunderjet, and it became very uncomfortable. Drag it, ship it, or leave it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    Tie it to the top of the truck in the background and DRIVE it to Anchorage
    the only place that road goes is to beluga. didn't know i came off as such a dumb@$$

i have an arctic cat m7 that could tow it. would I really need a freight sled though? seem like that boat is just a big freight sled. Ill be honest I would be nervous about going all the way to anchorage in it for sure. Maybe not the big su as im pretty close to it. The store is freeman. I have spoken with him a few times at the airstrip there. Ill give him a call as that would be easiest. snowmachine is plan B. thanks for all the information guys any more suggestions would be appreciated as well.

LOL!!!

Noooo

I was making a funny and to see if anyone else noticed the truck
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    LOL!!!

Noooo

I was making a funny and to see if anyone else noticed the truck
    haha ooooh i was like...is this guy serious??? lol

No need for a freight sled as you stated "it's it's own sled" just a straight ridgid tow bar to the bow tie down eye, that boat weighs about 1/2 as much as most people are towing to the cabin each weekend and a 1/10th as much as they tow when they're building the cabin, it's an easy trip over from Point McKenzie and would be fun little Saturday adventure.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

I have seen the trail many times from the air when I fly over there. But I cant imagine even getting that thing close to in the cargo door of an arctic turn. Are there a ton of branches off of the trail that may aid in me getting lost or is it a pretty straight shot?

Default Drag it to Burma Road

The trip across the inlet is dangerous. Suicide in that boat for a beginner.
    I've done it a bunch. Do not think that you can hit the beach when it blows up. The shallow water stands the waves up worse than what you are trying to get out of.

A tricky part of snow-machining to Wasilla is getting from the Beluga road system to the pipeline trail. Once you find the pipeline the next iffy spot is where the trail drops onto the Big Su. The current there can leave the ice thin. Once I hit the Big Su I usually head up river to Alexander and cross there. Good place to grab a burger anyway. The trail is usually more defined from Alexander too. A guy can get turned around on the river, it is wide there.

Just remember that the big power lines run parallel to the pipeline, with the pipeline to the north. The power line is runnable, but ROUGH going.

Lots of people doing it. Look for the trails and double check before you bail down any hills onto ice. If you are starting at Burma Road, then it is easy to find the way. I recommend running in pairs as any snogo left on the trail has a tendency to get burned.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

It is possible to drive a truck from Beluga to Anchorage yes it is possible. I have seen more than one truck on the trail in the winter going to town. Can you do it this year I donít know? I donít see why you canít with a snowmobile.

Some years one of the Power companies (gas, elec, coal) will build an ice road but they haven't this year.
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

according to freeman (owner of beluga general store) and denis torrey (owner of chuit river lodge) there hasn't been an ice road in years. They wont do it unless they absolutely had to. How do you think I got that truck over there! if there was a road. This project would be open and shut.

Get ahold of Mike Mason (Dinglishna Freight Services) you can get the number by calling the Point MacKenzie General Store. Mike hauls anything and everything around in that area.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast