Thread: Best ~5 hp motor for scanoe?

Default Best ~5 hp motor for scanoe?

I have done a little research and determined that a scanoe will best serve my needs for the type of fishing Ill be doing this season. I tried the trolling motor last year, and I'm done with it. I want internal combustion. I understand it better and I'm convinced it will push my scanoe a lot better. I'm going to buy a scanoe that can handle a 5 horse motor. So my question, for those of you who have used the little outboards, is - which ones should I be looking for, and which ones should I avoid?

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

I would look at the little 3 1/2hp Merc.Its a very light motor which is nice and it will run for a hour wide open on the small tank of gas around 6mph on my 9' zodiac/10'crawdad. A scanoe should be faster
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I would agree w/the 3.5...it works great for general messing around but it`s not a river motor. Never gps`d it but it did run pretty good solo w/some gear.

Heavy Hitter Fishing
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Heavy...54441957966186

Kodiak Custom Fishing Tackle Pro-Staff

I have the Merc 3.3 and used it for my aire traveler. It weighs 28 lbs and pushed me a friend around the lake at 7 mph. Start on the frist pull every time.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

So far no info on 5 hp motors. I'm guessing the added weight isn't worth the increase in power? Thanks for the info guys, Ill be looking for one of the little mercs.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Gotta agree with these folks on the 3.3hp Merc. I have a 60's vintage Johnson 5 hp and two Eventude (OMC) 6 hp's and unless I'm pushing alot of weight or going upstream in fast water the Merc is the answer. I use it on a 17' Grumman sq back and it does fine....take along a 2 gal can of mixed gas and you can run all day with it....take ear plugs.

I'm sort of in the same boat. Thinking more about a 2 stroke Yamaha 6 horse for my next outboard on my 17.5 Old Town. In the past I've ran a 9.9 Merc and a 4 hp old Merc on it. (and yes I know the boat's only rated for a 5 HP and I don't care) The only river trips I plan to do anymore will be float trips so I think for just knocking around the lakes I can drop down to either a smaller 4 stroke or the 6HP 2 stroke Yamaha I mentioned because I let the 9.9 go with one of my duck boats. Still on the fence. Let us know what you decide.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

would agree with a 2-stroke 6 hp if you can find one. Weight is suitable and hp is adequate for moderate loads. If your frame is robust, i'd consider a 9.9 honda or yamaha 4-stroke, but heavier than most 2-stroke 6 hp. I would recommend against the hps under 6 hp for moderate loads going upstream anywhere.

larry

If you are set on 5hp, go with the Briggs and Stratton. Not pretty but less $$$. I have a 4hp yamaha 4 strk that is light and has an internal tank. It has done everything I've asked of it on a grumman sport boat. I have it on a lift for shallow sloughs. The BS is also a four stroke.

Go with whatever is the lightest engine with the HP you want. I would look at the 2 strokes, more power for the weight. But that would mean you could not use the motor on the Kenai.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Air cooled Tanaka 5.5 is what we have been using and pushes the boat ok. The motor is old but i like the weight and it being water free.