Thread: Adding a pocket to drysuit

Default Adding a pocket to drysuit

I bought a NRS Extreme drysuit this winter (got a screaming deal) and want to add 1 or 2 pockets to it, as it currently has none.

From the NRS website the fabric is:

Triton™ | 3-layer fabric
    1. Tough nylon exterior with a DWR
    2. Microporous waterproof, breathable barrier
    3. Nylon tricot interior lamination

My question is, would it work to simply cut a pocket out of say a urethane coated nylon drybag, rough up the edges and rough up the corresponding area on my drysuit, and attach with aquaseal?

If this would not work, does anyone have any suggestions on a DIY pocket addition?

Thanks.

The urethane should work- if you prep it well before the glue. Or another option, which i use, is just buy a small water-proof fanny pack, like a sea-line. Have used this system for years.
    Goo

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by asrjb25 View Post
    I bought a NRS Extreme drysuit this winter (got a screaming deal) and want to add 1 or 2 pockets to it, as it currently has none.

From the NRS website the fabric is:

Triton™ | 3-layer fabric

1. Tough nylon exterior with a DWR
    2. Microporous waterproof, breathable barrier
    3. Nylon tricot interior lamination

My question is, would it work to simply cut a pocket out of say a urethane coated nylon drybag, rough up the edges and rough up the corresponding area on my drysuit, and attach with aquaseal?

If this would not work, does anyone have any suggestions on a DIY pocket addition?

Thanks.
    I feel your much simpler and more practical solution, plus something that does not jeopardize warranty (or look bad) is something like Goeaux's suggestion to having a PFD with pockets.

Think it through a bit... can you easily get to such a pocket wearing your PFDd?

There are a few reasons why you do not see much of any pockets and such on Dry-suits... to name a few: introducing potential failure to dry-suit by way of seam-sealing or fabric welding (or chemical) disruption and the pocket itself meaningless if wearing safety gear like PFD, gloves, holding on for life etc. Other stuff such as more cost, weather/water-proofing to draining (air or water) of such a pocket is of importance.

However --- your question was not for someone to tell you it can't be done --- just to say weigh the options.

How best to do it:

A.) Pick the best location with regards to some of what I said above.

B. Then 'Depending' on weather/waterproofing or drain-ability (and realizing the warranty issues... choose a suitable fabric like matching piece of Triton and do the lay-out.

Few things you should know:
    1.) Triton 3-layer is quite simply a laminate sheet of 'inexpensively coated' (think rug-doctor) ripstop nylon to get water to bead up, a bonding Poly Urethane laminate inner film that has a billion micro holes punched into it to create a much cheaper than Gore-Tex barrier, and plain old tricot Nylon inside to complete the laminated sandwich.
    2.) The rest is seam work, seams are sealed by heat-applied taping, plus gasket work.

C.) I'd have a professional seamstress (unless you are good at this stuff) sew in the pocket securely. In my design, I'd add a small grommet for drainage and make my closure with Velcro and snaps.

D.) On the Cheap - you could use Aqua-seal, or other PU and similar sealants to even two-part PU coatings to seal the seams... but why stop there!

Better to go with a real solution that will likely last longer and look nicer. The Tapes you need are either Sympatex or Melco... note to self: these are to be applied using careful/focused heat --- you just don't toss 'er over an ironing board to straighten out and cook the whole suit.

That's how it's done.

Thanks for the replies, a life jacket with pockets is a much better and more practical solution for sure. (KISS principle is generally always the best way to go!)