Thread: The Stand Thread!!!

Default The Stand Thread!!!

So I am interested in what kind of stand every one uses. Do you buy one and hang it? Do you use wood and nails to make it? Do you use ground blinds? How high do you go? How far away from your barrel do you go? Do you use bow or gun? Just thought I would start a fun thread.

I use wood, go about 20-30 yards away, hunt with a bow. I hang my stand between 10-15 feet ( I am afraid of heights ). So I started it, now who's next?
    Hunt until you don't like it any more

wheelchair accessable... 10-15ft ft

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

Myself, everything depends on location, location, location; that said here is how I generally set-up:

Archery - stand height 16'-20' and 15-20 yards from my bait.
    Gun - stand height 20'-24' and 20-25 yards from my bait.
    Stands - both ladder-stands and hang-on stands with various accessories.

Oh.. I always use a safety tree-sling.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

I had one hang stand and one self made ground blind last year up on a hill about the height of a stand and 15yards from the barrell. The tree stand I have is the cheep 100doallar one from sportsmans and its hell to sit in for even an hour I hung it about 12-13ft up and mostly sat on the foot rest Im going to have to figure out something better this year, because i would be sore and miserable long before any bears would show up. Im thinking of getting one of those lounger tree stands but i dont know if that would be a problem for me as I only bow hunt. I wouldnt really trust anything I made out of wood.

Ground blind for me. quick to setup, easy bow shots, up close action. When I used treestands I set them up about 15ft and 15-20yds from bait.

I either build platforms or use a commercially built climber. The climber is nice in that I don't have to commit a lot of time in a new spot before it has proven itself. If needed I can also move it to a better location depending on how bears are entering or exiting the site. When I am using the climber I do use a harness to tie myself in.
    I like a platform as it gives me more room to get comfortable for a long night. Several locations even have roofs to keep the rain off. In the past we've enclosed them w/ bug net to keep the skeeters off of us too.

i will be using a summit golliath climber probly 15-20ft up and 15-20 yards out, this year we are setting 2 bait's so the climber will be handy the last two bait's i had i built a stand on site

Depends on how the trees are arranged but I look for a straight birch with a spruce or two close by and behind where I want to be to help break up my outline. I like to be 12-20' up and 20-25 yards from the bait. I use a clamp-on platform. Building stands that incorporate standing, live trees is illegal as I understand it.
    If cave men had been trophy hunters the Wooly Mammoth would be alive today

I have 2 12 ft ladders and 2 ameristep hangons that I am going to be using this year

This year I want to use a climbing stand or a good ladder stand. Last year I got out a bit late and attempted to build a platform stand with a leatherman and a hammer and when I finished building it it resembled an old rickety diving board more than a platform. It was very uncomfortable for one person let alone two adult males trying to balance on it. I think it was maybe 10 feet off the ground too.

I just bought a monster 65lb, 300 lb capacity, 2 man stand at Sportsmans this weekend. I am gonna use it this year with the idea that my 7 year old and I can use it together. We just assembeled it tonight and holy cow its big... Good thing we can wheeler relativley close to the bait. I will let you know how it works out in a couple of months

Quote Originally Posted by jcorwin4278 View Post
    So I am interested in what kind of stand every one uses. Do you buy one and hang it? Do you use wood and nails to make it? Do you use ground blinds? How high do you go? How far away from your barrel do you go? Do you use bow or gun? Just thought I would start a fun thread.

I use wood, go about 20-30 yards away, hunt with a bow. I hang my stand between 10-15 feet ( I am afraid of heights ). So I started it, now who's next?

Quote Originally Posted by mekaniks View Post
    I just bought a monster 65lb, 300 lb capacity, 2 man stand at Sportsmans this weekend. I am gonna use it this year with the idea that my 7 year old and I can use it together. We just assembeled it tonight and holy cow its big... Good thing we can wheeler relativley close to the bait. I will let you know how it works out in a couple of months
    I thought them 2 seaters at Sportsmans had a 500 lbs rating. My one seat ladder stand is rated for 300. Got 40 pounds to spare

I have 2 Strong Built "SS Lounger" hang on stands. They weigh 35 pounds apiece and are kind of hard to hang BUT I've done numerous 12 hour sets in them and a few 24 hour sets... They’re kind of hard to find, I bought my last one from the sportsman’s guide and it was $80, 3 years ago. My friends make fun of their appearance and bulk but that quickly goes away after you set in them... ROCK SOLID ALSO!!! I've had one since 1995. I set one at 25 yards and the other at 30 yards to hunt the wind. Both are 22’ off the ground.
    Attached Images Attached Images

yea your right.. its 500lb capacity,
    Quote Originally Posted by terbear747 View Post
    I thought them 2 seaters at Sportsmans had a 500 lbs rating. My one seat ladder stand is rated for 300. Got 40 pounds to spare