Thread: Canning tomatoes

Default Canning tomatoes

Hi, I have a tomato recipe that is used on top of bread, like a bruschetta. we would like to can a bunch of it.

It is a recipe of grape tomatoes, salt, pepper, oregano, garlic and olive oil. they are baked in the oven and the allowed to cool down in the oven until the oven is cool.

i was looking at some canning techniques and I was a little confused. Can i just pack those in hot jars and then hot water can/boil for 1 hour or so. looking for some guidance from more experienced folks with canning. they are drenched in olive oil, so there is some fluid in there with them. pack with a headspace of 1/2" . do i need to add anything else? thanks for the help.

pack 'em in tight. tomatoes shrink A LOT when canned. so leave the headspace, but really pack them in there, smoosh them down. I don't think you should bake them in the oven at all, I think the canning process will accomplish that. Maybe you could roast the tomatoes and garlic a touch if you like that flavor, but i wouldn't bake as you would for fresh eating, because then it will be redundantly cooked when you can it.

After meats, tomatoes are apparently very notorious for nasty botulism and other bad bacteria, so definitely pressure cook them or hot water bath them for the proper amount of time.

Sounds delicious.

agreed, reduce pre-cooking time, and pack them in tight. check the bible (the ball blue book) of canning for specifics.

Your recipe sounds like a salsa recipe
    Like Dirty said check out the Bible a lot of good stuff in it for hot water boiling tomatoes recipes
    Yep andweav been there just throw some peppers and tomatoes on the gril and let the skin turn black take them off
    put them in a bag let them cool peal the skin off and do your magic with the rest
    FYI when working with peppers put food gloves on and DO NOT git it in your eyes been there and done it
    Pop a beer and have fun

thanks for the info. may try that out with a small batch. i have the ball book already. the baking process gives it some of its characteristics/taste that's why i was asking. i think if i just cooked them without oven time, that it would taste more tomatoey than normal.

thanks