Thread: Splitting Cases? Pressure???

Default Splitting Cases? Pressure???

OK, I am working on a new 280 and bought new Rem brass.
    After 3 rounds of reloading some cases are showing signs of fatigue/stretching/actual splitting about 1 in up from base.
    I have not seen any other pressure signs - however I have had 100% cratered looking primers with every load I have shot in this Rem700 so far, but it looks the same on light loads and factory loads so I think that crater look is not suggesting High pressure?
    Could it simply be bad brass? Is the new brass being blended to much to cause it to not last as long?
    I would appreciate your thoughts....
    I am full length resizing ea time also, dbl checked die settings and all seems Okee Dokee there.
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Is the brass nickel?
    Have you cleaned the brass with any bore solvent that contains ammonia? (most do)

Stretching from the case web up is from F/L sizing each time. Try neck sizing only by backing off the sizer about a half turn. Look for sized line on case neck with lube.

Is this brass once fired factory or was it new? I presume R-P head-stamp?
    What is your load? Powder, charge weight, bullet, primer?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Hi Murphy, glad you chimed in!
    Lets see,
    Brass cases - new Rem never fired.
    No case cleaner used - rolled in RCBS lube - resized F/L - wiped off with clean rags only.
    Have used 6 diff powders - various amounts - max has been 57gn RL19 - all pushing a 140gn Nosler Accubond.
    and 55.5 of IMR 4831
    Bullets have been very slightly extended past Sammi of 3.33 Max - most I seated were 3.334 - 3.338 - one round of 5 were 3.34 - 3.355 seems to be my range to contact.
    Oh, Federal Gold Medal Match 215M Large Rifle Magnum Primers
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    After 3 rounds of reloading some cases are showing signs of fatigue/stretching/actual splitting about 1 in up from base.

I have not seen any other pressure signs

I would appreciate your thoughts....
    You mentioned it's a new rifle. Just a thought, is the brass getting scared by the feed rails? If so it's like scoring glass and it will split along those scratch marks.

With my new rifles or any rifle that scratches brass I will smooth the feed rails with 600 or 1000 grit sand paper. If this is an issue with your rifle remove the barreled action from the stock and take your time smoothing the rails. Clean thoroughly and wipe down with a lightly oiled patch when you're done.

Once smoothed out your brass will not get scratched and it's life will be extended. This is assuming that rough feed rails are the culprit.

It sounds like the splits are circumferential, not longitudinal. Therefoe it would seem as though the brass is "stretching" a lot. You mentioned this was a new rifle. As in new in the box? Or new to you? Even if its new in the box, check the bolt and make sure it is serial numbered to the receiver. When we had a couple hundred rifles on the rack, we would sometimes have chimps come into the shop and try swapping bolts. Rare, but it could happen. Instant excessive or insufficient headspace. Follow Murphy's advice if the rifle checks out.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Yes sounds like head space to me also, ether in the gun or from FL sizing bumping the shoulder back too far. Follow Murphy and Gunbugs advice. You can also check fired case to your sized cases for sizing issues. If the cracks are liner and not radial Marshall may be onto it, check this by chambering and ejecting a round to inspect for scratches.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Hey guys - thanks for the tips.
    The cracking is circumferential and only 1 of 36 actually split, but about a dozen others show a stretch or stress line.
    I have a dealer's lic and bought the gun brand new from a wholesaler so doubt any chance bolt was played with - plus it is Remington's Annual Limited Edition gun, which appears to have had a little more TLC work done from factory. No evidence of rail scratching...
    My guess is Murphy hit the nail on the head with F/L resizing being the culprit and adjusting die will likely extend brass life.
    I have never had this happen so quickly with cases so was a bit surprised - I will load a batch of new brass and fire away as soon as I get my new trigger installed...