Thread: Anyone shooting a TC pro hunter for sheep?

Eielson Air Force Base, Alaska, United States

Default Anyone shooting a TC pro hunter for sheep?

I am looking into buying a Pro Hunter primaraly for sheep hunting but had concerns on the wieght. So does anyone have a opinion on them good or bad. I was looking at a 7mm barrel for it, is there a better caliber for sheep hunting? And if you are shooting what type of optics do you have on it or recomend. Thanks for all your help and info.

The 7mm is as good as any for sheep. If your going with a encore you might as well go 7mm rem mag or even 7mm STW. Cartridge length won't be a cocern. I have an encore with 22-250, 45/70, 30/06, and 209x50 barrels. I have found it to be very handy, and accurate. The best thing is the compact length, the weight isn't a huge consderation. They aren't that heavy but they definately aren't that light. I have been really impressed with mine and have used it on several whitetails and a moose so far. If you like the gun I bet you will be well served by an encore.

I have a nikon monarch 3-9x40 on my 30/06 barrel, a burris 3-9 FFII on the 220250, and peeps on the muzle loader barrel. The 3-9x40 VXII is another very good all around choice.

I've use one in 270 Win. Works well, easy to pack. Not too much to go wrong with it out in the field ( at least nothing has happened yet). Pretty accurate especially with reloads. Don't let anyone tell you a single shot isn't good enough for sheep either, with a little practice you can reload pretty fast. As far as optics I use a leupy vx-II 2x7.

I have a standard Encore frame with a Pro Hunter barrel in 7mag. Wanted to save a bit of dough, so I decided against the pro hunter frame. Figured the swing hammer and extra engraving weren't worth it. Bad idea, I managed to mount my scope the width of a dollar off my barrel and having the swing hammer would be pretty nice.
    What I'm about to say may be disagreed with, but I'm going to say it anyway. I love my Encore and feel that it is one of the best shooting platforms available. Being in WA, I obviously have not taken it on a sheep hunt. That being said, I would take it anywhere. It may not be the lightest gun out there, but it is definately lighter than a lot of bolt guns out there. Bottom line, get the gun!

YOu can send your frame back to T/C and have the swing hammer installed for around $70

Yeah, I looked into that after this past hunting season. Kicker is, it takes up to 8 weeks. I just use a hammer extension and hope there aren't any issues. So far so good!