Thread: Rafts and Bears

Default Rafts and Bears

Anyone else experience bears knawing on their rafts while tucked in for the night? If so, any suggestions on how to keep them away?

Quote Originally Posted by HikeHunt View Post
    Anyone else experience bears knawing on their rafts while tucked in for the night? If so, any suggestions on how to keep them away?
    Check the forum archives on this one. You are new here, so you didn't know that. But this has been discussed A LOT here. In short, yes, bears do love to chew on rubber, so you should take precautions. Urinate on the trail upstream and downstream of your boat (not a guaranteed deterrent, but everything helps), keep your boat in sight of your camp, and consider using an electric fence around the boat. You can rent fence setups, or you can buy one. They're inexpensive and some of them really pack a wallop off of just a couple of D-cell batteries. And... ah.... if you forget where that wire is when you get up to take a leak at night, you will only forget once. :-) The fence is a great bear deterrent, and an excellent memory stimulator. Ooooh... youch!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I have had only one bear bite incident after perhaps 250+ nights on rivers. I believe we, my client, killed my problem bear when it wandered back into camp while I was fixing the raft. The bear was not leaving with the urgency I instructed and my client-hunter (with bear tag) liked its blond pelt.
    I try to keep my boats close to the tents. My camp has plenty of human scent, so I do not add anything else near the boat. But I absolutely DO try to keep fish smells off the rafts.
    I have also had little muskrat size critters nibble on my boats at night, but so far without any lost air pressure.

In addition to conducting September hunts in remote western Alaska, I spend many summer and fall nights on the Kenai River. I'm not sure which bears concern me the most. While my only problem has been in a remote location, those "urban" Kenai bears always have me wondering....

And oh yeah, I have lost three tents to (I believe) black bears while on sheep and/or mountain goat hunts.

dennis

In addition to your comments, I will take some time and research the archives. Losing a tent is bad enough, I would hate to have a raft destroyed. Thanks for the information Dennis and Mike.

And....oh....by the way....Ammnnnnnnn....
    Concerning the raft that got a bite and the tents that got flattened.....I was not in the boat or in the tents when BooBooBear(s) done the bad deeds.
    dennis

Here's a video of what they can do to an Alpacka Pack Raft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZxoF9dUsUE

During a float hunt last fall I placed the raft inside our electric fence enclosure at night. The meat was farther down the gravel bar. This year I'm carrying a second fence so the meat and the boat will be inside one fence and the tent inside another farther away. I think the bears just get pissed off that they have to go around a raft and step over the rope as they travel down the shoreline.

Amazing repair job.

That is some pretty incredible repair work

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    I think the bears just get pissed off that they have to go around a raft and step over the rope as they travel down the shoreline.

Rubber and plastic both offgas volatile compounds that smell intriguing to bears and probably irritate them. Hip waders, gas cans, action packers, rain coat etc. I've had chewed on and shredded. Luckily never a raft. The only non-rubber / plastic item I've ever had chewed on was meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Birdstrike View Post
    Here's a video of what they can do to an Alpacka Pack Raft.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZxoF9dUsUE
    Isn't Sheri just amazing? She is truly one of the "Greats" on the boating scene today.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

UDAP makes a 4 lb electric fence for about $300. As Dennis said, likely not something that will be needed. But as another wise man (Goo Vogt) told me once when discussing rafting in general, "You don't need it till you do". Ha ha...

-Dan
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.