Thread: picking a river??

Default picking a river??

in trying to plan a hunt for 2012l i am waiting on my books to arive that everyone has recomended. maybe they will tell me all i need to know but i doubt it. I have spent the day reading the moose population estimates for most areas of the state of alaska. seems like there arent to many moose-ie- moose per mile, in the more remote areas. I seem to like unit 18 for no restrictions but it dosent have a huntable caribou population for a non res. still in looking at the maps i like the look and smaller size of the atchuelinguk river wich comes out at pilot station.
    Am I way off here? is the river to small to float?
    Also after looking at the population est. the koyukuc controlled use area in unit 21d looks great but if i understand you cant get a plane drop in there. is there any other way to do a float hunt on this river?
    Seems like lots on here like 40mi air float hunts. maybee thats what i should do?

It is going to be me and a friend and his wife. we have all done backpack elk hunts and have most of the gear except a raft. we are looking to spend $5000 each but are flexible because this is for 2012. we are mainly going for moose a but a incidental caribou would be nice.
    we would like solitude or possibly only one other group on the river. we are not affraid of lots of work or portages if thats whats needed. trophy size is not what we are after just good hunting and oppurtunity

Also what are my options for raft rental?

I have always been happy with the guys at Papa Bear Adventures.
    http://www.pbadventures.com/index.html
    They can provide the rafts & camping equipment at a reasonable rate in Unit 18. They have two Beavers on floats and really work hard to ensure you have a great hunt experience. I have hunted moose, caribou (when there was caribou in Unit 18), bears, sheep, and a fishing trip with them. On one trip our Satellite phone arrived a day after we were dropped off and Papa Bear brought to us at no charge. Thats excellent service!!!!

wow in talking to papa bear adventures he sounds to have just what we are looking for. fly in and fly out float hunt where he only puts 1 group on a stretch of river a year with very few other charter flights in the area for competition to come in before/behind ya. love the no 50" rule. going to call refrences and present this to my partners. thanks for the tip.

Did you put in for a moose draw in unit 23? That would have been one of the better spots for a moose/bou hunt.
    The good moose area and good bou areas in unit 18 are FARRRRRR apart.
    There is a registration moose hunt for non-res in unit 22D remainder. That area has some chance at bou. The reg. hunt has an antler size restriction. There will be other hunters there tho.
    Talk to the area bio about the Atch.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Since moose is your primary objective then unit 18 is probably your best bet. You don't have to worry about drawing a tag and since trophy size is not your main goal either, it would seem the Bethel area fits your needs. Having the option to shoot any bull is just not an option in large parts of Alaska. The moose population is in good shape and trophy moose are available in unit 18. Depending upon where you get dropped off there is a fairly good chance you may have opportunities to hunt or see other species like bears, wolves, or wolverine. I was able to take a wolverine on one of our trips with Papa Bear Adventures.

Deposit has been sent to papa bear. Was able to meet him in person at the N*** convention in Nashville TN. Now its gona be a long year and half.... now all the gear selection begins. Need to focus more on my elk hunt for this year but its tough when a moose is my life goal.