Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Over limit on black bear?

Default Over limit on black bear?

So after reading this article by Medred I am left confused.

Consider that you are in a One Bear per Hunter Area. Evidently if you shoot an "anchoring" shot to help out your hunting partner you are now taking over the limit on bear in that area if you take your own bear.

Is it that they might have shot at the same time?

Do both hunters have to tag the same bear then?

Will guides be processuted for this? How about a non-res guide on a brown bear? Are they over the limit and "hunting" with out a guide if they put in a shot on their customer's brown bear?

When a parent takes their child hunting and the child shoots a moose, the parent puts in a shot to anchor the moose just splits of seconds after the child fired. The child is old enough to have their own harvest ticket. The next day the parent shoots their own moose. Is the parent now over the limit on moose? Does it matter when the second shooter fires? What if they were both on a grassy knoll?

When a flock of ducks come in and there is one male green head and both my friend and I shoot just at the greenhead and we both hit it, then keep shooting through the morning and get our limits for the day (8 each), which one of us is now over the limit because we each hit the same duck? One of us technically shot 9 ducks even though we only have 8 in each of our bags.

I went through the reg books a few minutes ago and I didn't see where the issue of two people shooting at a game animal is addressed as to limit restrictions.

As for the not shooting from a boat thing, that appears in several locations in the regulations so they have no excuse for not knowing. Wonder when they are going to processecute the boat owning friend for unlicensed guiding and outfitting? Wonder how long till this thread gets locked due to comments about Medred.

I suspect that the whole story is not contained in Medreds article. Only one person can tag, or count as killed, an animal. There is no such thing as half a bag limit. Back up shooting is NOT illegal in Alaska. It is standard procedure to assist other hunters in harvesting a wounded animal.
    Perhaps the son attempted to tag the bear in question, but questioning by officers revealed that the father had initially hit the bear, thus he was legally responsible to tag it upon harvest. Hard to say for sure. Interesting they were pleading in 2011 for an offense in 2008. Likely the bear hide went with them to Tx. or where ever. Thus, the feds involved probably held a lacey act citation over their head and thus the guilty plea.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

It's hart to tell the entire story when all you have information on is what went wrong. There is no way to know (from the given information) if they already had harvested a bear prior to this or not. It also is not clear that both of these convictions are related to the same bear, just that they both happened on bear hunts in 2008. It never actually stated that both events happened on the same trip.

A licensed guide is legally and morally obligated to make an attempt to recover wounded game for a client. If a (insert any game animal) is wounded and getting away, a guide should be shooting to anchor/recover (call it what you want) the client's animal.

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Back up shooting is NOT illegal in Alaska. It is standard procedure to assist other hunters in harvesting a wounded animal.
    Martentrapper - I have spoken with Fish and Wildlife about this and they told me point blank if you have harvested an animal and you are the back up shooter and it is found that your round or arrow was fatal.... you would be charged. I'm not saying I agree with that but, that is what I was told by a FWP LT.

i'm not gonna spend any time worrying about it... seriously..
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by ICEDOG5 View Post
    Martentrapper - I have spoken with Fish and Wildlife about this and they told me point blank if you have harvested an animal and you are the back up shooter and it is found that your round or arrow was fatal.... you would be charged. I'm not saying I agree with that but, that is what I was told by a FWP LT.
    So are they willing to go all CSI and be able to prove that in court?

In the SE if you wound a bear it counts as your quota so I guess who ever then kills it owns it by the law. I would guess that the hunter that stopped a wounded bear from running around mad would be charged if he had already taken his quota though I've never seen it go that way
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by ICEDOG5 View Post
    How could any entity PROVE which bullet or arrow was fatal. Like 270 says, are they going to confiscate the organs, guts, and do an autopsy?
    I think you misunderstood, icedog. If you are the back up shooter and put a bullet or arrow in an animal.........and it is later found that your bullet or arrow was the ONLY projectile in the animal.................then you will be charged!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Move here to Unit 23, and avoid all that crap....

Shoot 3 Blackbear every year, , a Brown Bear, cruize the rivers and shoot Caribou from the boat, theres no limit on waterfowl and I promise , I will NOT shoot your Bear, for or with yyou, unless he's gonna eat you real soon like , it's yer show!

"In

my

Blue

Heaven...."

If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Move here to Unit 23, and avoid all that crap....

Shoot 3 Blackbear every year, , a Brown Bear, cruize the rivers and shoot Caribou from the boat, theres no limit on waterfowl and I promise , I will NOT shoot your Bear, for or with yyou, unless he's gonna eat you real soon like , it's yer show!

"In

my

Blue

Heaven...."

Stranger...you crack me up! Loving life as you sir.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

This is what happens when there is only 18 days left...
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    So are they willing to go all CSI and be able to prove that in court?
    How much money did the state waste proving that Jeff King shot a moose 600 feet inside an unmarked park border?
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06
    How much money did the state waste proving that Jeff King shot a moose 600 feet inside an unmarked park border?
    I'm guessing not much since it was a fed case.

I will do what ever it takes to recover a wounded animal.If my tag has been filled earlier and they want to fine me I will pay the cost but sleep better knowing I did the right thing in my eyes.Peace of mind is worth it.In my camp 1st. blood fills the tag .
    My .02 cents or should I say money.

Quote Originally Posted by bushrat View Post
    I'm guessing not much since it was a fed case.
    Mark, I thought that the State Troopers did the investigation, did the Feds pay the state for it?
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06
    I thought that the State Troopers did the investigation, did the Feds pay the state for it?

The way I recall it is that an NPS ranger and Wildlife Trooper initially were jointly on the scene and spoke with Jeff, but the investigation was handled by the feds. Feds and state often work together on some investigations, not sure how they decide who funds that, but feds have usually had more resources and funding to contribute.

No biggee. I did hear a lot of people saying it was a waste of fed taxpayer money from the get-go.

Bottom line: the law is the law. Ignorance won't get you off. We all have to read and understand the regs, seasons and boundaries etc before going afield. Only way to not get in trouble.

None of this is going to cause me to lose any sleep I will keep doing what I feel needs done and not worry about the CSI team tracking me down.

There are a lot of regulations and statutes out there that anyone can read into and derive their own meaning from its all open to interputation.
    http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o...0junk/reag.jpg

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - George Orwell

Before taking any of my advice for granted on here research the legal ramifications thoroughly I am not the Troopers nor am I the Judge that will be presiding over your case/hearing. Please read the hunting and sportfishing regulations and feel free to interpret their meaning on your own.

yeah who cares I will continue to shoot up the road signs with my AK 47 and whatever else.

He got busted for shooting out of a boat not over the limit correct?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast