Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hunting partners from hell.

Default Hunting partners from hell.

I have had so many hunting trips ruined by picking the wrong hunting partner. One guy informs me after we walk two hundred yard off a river “I’m not going any farther”. I ask why “I’m not going to pack out a moose; I will only shoot one next to the river”. This guy was a lot stronger and younger than me and he was not really into moose hunting. It would have been nice if he said something before we drove 250 miles to go moose hunting.

Another guy (my brother in law) walks by putting his full force into each step, you could hear him coming a block away tromp, trump, trump, as he walks and that night he brings out a bottle of whiskey, I told him we do not drink on a hunting trip, “I thought you mend when we were hunting not in camp” and he starts drinking, the next morning he could not get out of bed.

If you had a partner from hell, let hear your story.

My hunting partners are usually my kids. I doubt you can find anybody that's louder, moves more, or can screw up a hunt better than them. But, we manage to get it done. I make sure I can do a handful of solo hunts a year though.

Hunting partners are friends and friends are people I know real well.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Rutting Moose View Post
    I have had so many hunting trips ruined by picking the wrong hunting partner. One guy informs me after we walk two hundred yard off a river “I’m not going any farther”. I ask why “I’m not going to pack out a moose; I will only shoot one next to the river”. This guy was a lot stronger and younger than me and he was not really into moose hunting. It would have been nice if he said something before we drove 250 miles to go moose hunting.

Another guy (my brother in law) walks by putting his full force into each step, you could hear him coming a block away tromp, trump, trump, as he walks and that night he brings out a bottle of whiskey, I told him we do not drink on a hunting trip, “I thought you mend when we were hunting not in camp” and he starts drinking, the next morning he could not get out of bed.

If you had a partner from hell, let hear your story.
    No offense but I would love to have hunting partners like yours. The 1st one especially. I think its pretty smart of him not to want to shoot a moose that far off the river. As for drinking whiskey, any hunting camp I've been in, we like to party and whoop it up. The nightmare partners I've had are guys that like to plan for 6 mo before a hunt, I'm a seat of the pants type guy, plans always change I like to be flexible and roll w/ it. The worst hunting buddy I can remember didn't feel he needed to pay for anything like groceries boat fuel etc

Drunk hunting partners aren't always bad. My father-in-law moose hunts with a guy that likes his beer and other herbal supplements. My FIL will drink a beer or two, doesn't touch the supplements, and the last 2 years he has shot the moose while his partner was still sleeping off the night before.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

My worst hunting partner was a guy who was out for himself. A group of us would make a plan and spread out for maximum efficiency, then this guy would practically run to get ahead of everybody before we'd all be in place. Either he got the first shot, or he'd chase the animals into the next county, screwing everybody else up. After the second time he did that, he was no longer welcome to hunt with us.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Quote Originally Posted by AKBoater View Post
    Drunk hunting partners aren't always bad. My father-in-law moose hunts with a guy that likes his beer and other herbal supplements. My FIL will drink a beer or two, doesn't touch the supplements, and the last 2 years he has shot the moose while his partner was still sleeping off the night before.
    Reminds me of the explanation that my dad gave me as to why he hired an alcoholic contractor to help him remodel a ragged foreclosure home he bought. He says, "Well son, this ole boy is always late! He comes in about noon or 1pm and then is so happy that I am not mad at him he busts his butt and works up a storm for last 4-5 hours in the day! In fact he works so hard that he gets the entire days work done in 1/2 the time. Best part is I only have to pay him for the 4-5 hours he showed up for!!"

Hard to argue w/ the old mans logic on that one! I figure it is probably the same way w/ a good drunken hunting partner. I don't need em in my pocket first thing in the morning. I just need em to be up n' ready to carry something heavy around noon.

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Hunting partners are friends and friends are people I know real well.
    yup for me too

I'm the oldest one in hunting camp and usually wind up doing the most walking, field dressing and dragging animals, etc. One of my partners said, "You should quit working out in the gym so much and start eating more cheeseburgers, then you'd be like the rest of us and wouldn't have to work so hard."
    I need to find some older hunters to hunt with. These youngsters just aren't cutting it.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Reminds me of the explanation that my dad gave me as to why he hired an alcoholic contractor to help him remodel a ragged foreclosure home he bought. He says, "Well son, this ole boy is always late! He comes in about noon or 1pm and then is so happy that I am not mad at him he busts his butt and works up a storm for last 4-5 hours in the day! In fact he works so hard that he gets the entire days work done in 1/2 the time. Best part is I only have to pay him for the 4-5 hours he showed up for!!"

Hard to argue w/ the old mans logic on that one! I figure it is probably the same way w/ a good drunken hunting partner. I don't need em in my pocket first thing in the morning. I just need em to be up n' ready to carry something heavy around noon.

Very wise man indeed!

My worst was big city fool, who came up here to hunt along, who thought that $$ was gonna solve it all, but there was no one taking it, no stores, hotels, backrubs or guides to give that $$$ too ~~LOL!!~~......funny thing was he really didnt have much $$ anyway......and even brought alcohol even when told absolutely not to... Not so bad the first trip, but a rude trying of my patience.

Some people live by the clock, some live by the weather.....belive me, I aint no time puncher.

Gave 'em the benifit of the doubt and took 'em out a second time.....by the end of that hunt he had pissed off EVERYBODY, 'cept me, (I was laughing my ass off)cause I was just up to half speed leaving this poor fellow behind, so it was S l o w to me, and twice the work one of mmy kids would have been.......it was quite the $$ and work to restore the snowmachine after he was done riding...
    Demanded to hunt in crap weather when nothing was gonna be moving, insisted on early morning rides that faced the sun,and blew off any advice and local knowlage of such matters and rode in some seriously bad hunting weather, VERY VERY windy....
    In the end, when what he wanted didnt pan out, didnt say 'By", a handshake or not even a glance when the ride took his ass to the airport.

Oh, what was his name??...........oh well.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I have hunted with quite a few different folks even several from this very forum. Have been very lucky inregards to hunting partners I guess. Only one partner was a problem. She broke her leg on the side of a mountain and left me and my other partner high and dry on the first day of hunting once we had a goat down......But I will probably forgive her and give her another chance.

I have had drunks, hell-bent-for-leather but quit at the first real sign of work types, payolas, primadonnas and white bwanas. The worst partner that was ever foisted on me was when I was about 15 years old and my dad decided to help this guy who had gone to vietnam.
    I am patriotic as the next guy but in reality I don't think that this guy ever left. He wore his old Vietnam fatigues and would run full tilt after moose and caribou. He thought he could run them down and stab them with his bayonet on the end of his garand. You could hear him smashing through the brush. I found out that he later blew off his arm screwing around with improvished grenades down in Arizona. He wound up attracting a eatin size mulligan moose that I shot. I had it about taken care off when he returned about three and a half hours later.
    He had fired about 50 or sixty rounds after he had heard me shoot my 270. I don't know what he was shooting at but I hid behind his rig until he quit. We loaded into the back of his camo truck and drove back to our meat shed. I had him stop on the way home and he probably shot 200 rounds of ball into an old car that was abandoned on an old road. He had kind of a crazy gleam in his eyes like a cross between jack black, russel Brand and Jack Nichelson. I ended up giving him a front quarter and I told my dad that I would never take another crazy person hunting.

sincerely,
    Thomas

Like the Vet you hunted with I go back there most every night. I'm about the only one I'll hunt with though
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

You can be a whiner, a drunk, a wuss, out of shape, or just plain annoying....but if you point a loaded firearm at me at any point during the hunt, you will not join me again...

ya my safty is more important then any partner in the field. i WILL leave you alone if i feel your a danger to me.
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by norsehunter View Post
    I'm the oldest one in hunting camp and usually wind up doing the most walking, field dressing and dragging animals, etc. One of my partners said, "You should quit working out in the gym so much and start eating more cheeseburgers, then you'd be like the rest of us and wouldn't have to work so hard."
    I need to find some older hunters to hunt with. These youngsters just aren't cutting it.
    Don't worry about the cheeseburgers, simply carry a little brown bottle with "Heart Pills" written on the side of it. As soon as you kill something, make a big production about having to take one of the pills before any hard work. If your partners have any sense, they'll be fighting one another to help you out! :-)

Worst I had was the last 2 years. He's a nice guy, and really helped me when I was down but he also ruined the last 2 seasons so I don't think I'll be going with him again. 2009 we had to spend half the time we were gone driving around to find cell coverage so he could call his wife and tell her we were OK, then this year he bailed on me 2 day's before we were to leave for a weeklong hunt.

I don't recall any "bad" hunting partners; I need to know a little about a person before I go hunting with them. Have a few I didn't agree with and only hunted with them once, but I wouldn't call them bad.

The one I got most frustrated with was a guy who had never hunted moose before and desperately wanted me to take him out. I did, and most of the trip all I heard was how he had done this better or that better than. Near the end of the trip we spotted a bull & cow up a slew. I told him to wait until I got the boat nosed up on a sandbar to give him a stable platform to shoot from. As I was turning the boat around “Boom!”….”Boom, Boom”.

We pulled up on the slew and no moose to be seen. I asked if he thought he got him and was told “I had one good shot then couldn’t see him, the last two shots were where I thought he might be.” I was instantly pissed.

Anyway, I told him to unload his gun and stay in the boat. I eventually found a knee-capped, gut shot bull in some muskeg and put him down. I don’t think I talked to him for the two days it took us to pack the meat out.

Sounds like everyone has had their share of good and bad hunting partners.i only have one my father in law and he is a die hard he will not qiut till he has gotten his meat and me i hunt for the enjoyment i do like to get my game and i do 90% of the time. but if i dont i still had a great time.i wish i had other parteners cause enjoy the fellowship but hasnt work out .i moved to montana 5 years ago and locals are tough to get to know they really dont care for people not born here especially if u have a southern accent. so my main partner is myself.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast