Thread: Ketchikan Wolf

Default Ketchikan Wolf

My son's friend picked this one up in a snare on Saturday about a mile from my sons snares. Another deer killer down.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cody's wolf .jpg  

Nice!!!! Is he really short?
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Nice!!!! Is he really short?
    Not really Deb, it was a dandy wolf.

I guess you missed the humor...
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

NO, I didn't miss the humor.

Looks like your son and his friend are getting the wolf trapping techniques down!

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    Looks like your son and his friend are getting the wolf trapping techniques down!
    Something cleaned out the bait at one of his sites, he saw wolf tracks on the road above his sets heading toward his friends. It appears it some how cleaned out the one set and headed down and got caught in my son's friend set.

Nice photo. Congrats on the wolf. Maybe you or some of the other trappers can help me. How often, especially in a warmer climate like yours, do you check the line? In warmer weather, can the hide get hurt/slip if you do not get to the animals quickly? Could that be a problem especially with larger animals like wolves?
    I've heard of some concerns, especially around the bellies, on some animals. I've only ever shot a couple, and it was always cold enough to start the cooling process, and I was always able to skin quickly. Well start quickly. I am slower than flowing mud getting fur off an animal.
    Again, thanks for sharing. Wonder what it is like to walk on something green as contrasted to 2 1/2' of white stuff?
    ARR

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Nice photo. Congrats on the wolf. Maybe you or some of the other trappers can help me. How often, especially in a warmer climate like yours, do you check the line? In warmer weather, can the hide get hurt/slip if you do not get to the animals quickly? Could that be a problem especially with larger animals like wolves?
    I've heard of some concerns, especially around the bellies, on some animals. I've only ever shot a couple, and it was always cold enough to start the cooling process, and I was always able to skin quickly. Well start quickly. I am slower than flowing mud getting fur off an animal.
    Again, thanks for sharing. Wonder what it is like to walk on something green as contrasted to 2 1/2' of white stuff?
    ARR

We check once a week and haven't had any concerns. As it gets lighter we'll check twice a week, one right after work and the other on a Saturday.

way to go guys!! are you snaring a bait pile or just snaring the trails?? sounds like the ol hardware snares worked just fine. do you ever have trouble with deer getting in your snares??

Quote Originally Posted by rosscoak View Post
    way to go guys!! are you snaring a bait pile or just snaring the trails?? sounds like the ol hardware snares worked just fine. do you ever have trouble with deer getting in your snares??
    We're snaring both ways.

I did hit a deer once about 10 years ago, sad deal.