Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jet boaters - What do you carry to get unstuck?

Default Jet boaters - What do you carry to get unstuck?

It is Sunday evening and we just finished dinner consisting of moose burgers and onion rings and I am bored, lol. So I am posing this question, what do you jet boaters carry to help you get that rig unstuck? Not so much concerned about the real light weight boats but the big inboard hogs that weigh 3,500 pounds and up.

I'm thinking a Lewis chainsaw winch, snatch block, some extra rope, a short shovel, a saw to cut trees as rollers if need be, and maybe 3-4 pieces of heavy walled pvc pipe.

Mind you, I never stuck a boat before as we never really played in the shallows even when we owned a jet outboard.

Would love to hear your input and suggestions.
    Tennessee

I've thought of bringing some flat basketballs. Air them up under the boat could help. A capstan winch will not do the trick so stay away from those.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

I use a rope come along with 600 feet of 5/8 line, I also carry a handi man jack and a short handle pointed shovel... I needed everything one time, I was cruising through a real shallow section of river,in places you could see the gravel above the surface, I new it was going to get deeper so I pressed on for about 300 yards, went around a 90 degree corner, the water got about a foot deep, I started to get relieved,another sharp corner and full reverse and wide open to stop, brand new log jamb.Way to big to cut out with the chainsaw.

So I had about 50,60 feet of 12 inches of water then 4 to 8 inches for 300 yards. I unloaded the 18 foot almar,302 inboard,,walked all the stuff back through the riffle, put my 13 year old boy on the bow,cleaned the intake on the jet,and nailed it, almost got it going fast enough to make it back through,went a couple boat lengths into the riffle,then the work started.

It took us three hours,to jack ,come-along the boat back to deeper water. It really helps to jack up the boat and slide aspen poles under the boat, once you get started you just keep rotating them.

I've also used the rope come-along to get many moose out of rivers and creeks.

The only thing I learned is don't use rope that will stretch. Spend sum money and buy some amstell rope or any non stretching rope. Save you lots of time and arm power.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Quote Originally Posted by akmike30 View Post
    The only thing I learned is don't use rope that will stretch. Spend sum money and buy some amstell rope or any non stretching rope. Save you lots of time and arm power.
    Not to make an arguement but having rope with stretch is not a bad thing if you are working by yourself. Understand that over a 1000 foot move you may have an extra 50 feet to winching to do.

I have a rope winch, which I forgot last time out and stuck, handi man jack, 2 deflated bouy balls.....and a good friend with another boat with more gear, thanks TBloomA.

I got my 24' inboard stuck once on the Deshka. I had to use some rope to a tree and a come a long. It was not a great combination. It was nice to have a purely manual ystem that was reliable, but the problem was the rope streched so much it used up most of the reach of the come a long tensioning it. I think a better bet would be a chainsaw winch or a rope winch by itself rather than the combination I had.

It was a lot of work to get back in the water.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

I been eyeing the Amsteel rope and plan on buying some but it sure is pricey. The 5/16 size is rated for over 12,000 pounds. Amsteel sells a 100 foot section winch extension piece:
    http://www.amsteelblue.com/item.cfm?itemid=47212

Plan on picking up a couple of sections, one at a time as the budget permits. Am thinking it might be easier to handle the short sections instead of 300 feet. Just snap together as many sections as you need, and hopefully you have enough
    Tennessee

5000lb UTV winch front or back, 300ft 1/2 rope, and HI Lift jack. The UHMW on the bottom helps with the sliding. I used a viper winch supposedly made in the USA and the only 5k winch i could find. http://motoalliance.com/

I can never keep it short, so....have plenty of rope, stretch doesn't matter as much as just getting the keel just off the bottom while you're pulling. Jack it up, block 4 corners. Wiggling the boat with the keel off the bottom will get even a large hardtop inboard to move several feet at a time as long as you've got your rope come-along cranked tight. If you just try to dead drag it while high and dry (on sand) you'd better have a high capacity powered-type winch of some sort. Even then, I'd always be leery of how much stress the welds on your cleats or bow eyes can take. Might be okay with a lighter boat, but it's just easier to jack the boat up a bit, and then pull. The stretch in the rope actually releases when you get the movement started and pulls a bit further.
    A couple points- Handi-man jacks, even if cut-off, can be hard to clear the sides of the boat (because of the flare) if you try to place them under the chines to lift. -powered equipment can fail to state the obvious. -it may be difficult to get to or find wood to cut blocks or rollers. -several times I have been unable to use a parachute because I'm off somewhere I shouldn't be where the water is spread out and there is no current. I'm not to impressed with schedule 80 pvc either- it's heavy, sinks in the silt, and isn't needed it you just lift the keel. Oh yeah, and it's expensive. After carrying all of this at one time or another, I got rid of it. Save the weight.

You can't go wrong with carrying a few pieces (5) of taller blocking (1 as a fulcrum), and something you can use as a lever to place under the chine of the boat. That with some rope and an end-less pull rope come-along will always do the trick, doesn't take much space, and is cheap. Sure there are fancier ways to do it like just hooking up a fancy winch and pushing a button, especially with a lighter boat, but it's not always that easy with a heavy one. You gotta lift it up a bit. Some prefer to use their chainsaw to cut blocking/rollers if needed, but this takes longer than you think, especially if you're losing light quick, have to wade any distance, or try to cut sandy driftwood. I suppose you could bring a few pulleys and the sort to help with mechanical advantage of the come-along.

Rope-a-long winch, 3x100' sections of rope (only 1 needs to "fit" the winch, the rest are just tail sections that can be removed as you go), and 5 or 6 sticks of P-tex sled runner material the dog mushers use... Here in Fairbanks they have tons of the stuff to pick from at Cold Spot Feeds... takes up zero space/weight and won't get crushed like PVC. I have a chainsaw winch as well but have never had to use it. Also tend to carry a pair of 16' x 2" diam spruce poles, nice and dry.... use as a lever and also for poling down river to avoid snags/etc when you run out of fuel... so I've heard....

Want to get a Pull-Pal for an anchor system, just haven't gotten around to getting one yet...

Talking

Passengers

So far every time I’ve been stuck the passengers and I have been able to manhandle it to where we need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan XL View Post
    5 or 6 sticks of P-tex sled runner material the dog mushers use... Here in Fairbanks they have tons of the stuff to pick from at Cold Spot Feeds... takes up zero space/weight and won't get crushed like PVC.
    Great idea, anyone know of a source for this stuff around Anchorage?
    Tennessee

Maybe Plaschem down town Anc Near AK Mill and feed.
    1415 Spar Avenue
    Anchorage, AK 99501-1810
    (907) 274-5505
    They have a wide variety of goods HDPE, Fiberglass supplies, etc.

Thats exactly the opposite of how we've been getting our gillnetters unstuck on the Copper. Guys have been known to spend litterally months waiting for a big tide to float their boats off. So we use Sampson braided purse line. Its the stretchiest line we can find and it also happens to be plentiful cause every seine boat has it. we get big power boat or several bowpickers to give a jerk and when the rope is at its maximum stretch the boat surges fwd. We do this till its floating. In my 27 years fishing the flats I've seen a boat or two high and dry

Going light and having a few passengers along that can lift heavy things helps a lot!

When you take a few friends bear hunting and one of them is in charge of the food and leaves it up to his girlfriend things go bad real quick! Lets see 5 adults 2.5 days, 24 cans Mt.Dew, 4 1.0L bottles of H20, two small packages of lunch meat, one loaf of bread, one bag of donuts. Yeah we were hungry...

Quote Originally Posted by KelvinG View Post
    Passengers

So far every time I’ve been stuck the passengers and I have been able to manhandle it to where we need it.
    Apperently I need a new selection of huntin-fishin partners........................LOL
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Lots of good advice here.
    If you connect a chainsaw winch or comealong to a tree is the eyelet you connect your winch strap to when getting the boat back on the trailer strong enough to handle the winching chores?
    Tennessee

Fullbush See here u missed the point here. When using a chainsaw. Or comalong u have to fight with the stretch in the rope in you pull.but when pulling with a boat You don't run out of cable in the pull. You save lord of time and effort by using non stretching..
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Fullbush See here u missed the point here. When using a chainsaw. Or comalong u have to fight with the stretch in the rope in you pull.but when pulling with a boat You don't run out of cable in the pull. You save lord of time and effort by using non stretching..
    Aw gotcha Mike sorry about that. I did completely miss the point, and I apologize cause it makes sense

A "come-a-long" steel cable, a 6' steel pole (for those times when ther are no trees) and two red flags to send the kids to the corners of the river to warn other boaters.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast