Thread: I need a all-around shotgun

Default I need a all-around shotgun

I have a desire to have a shotgun for all around use. Leaning more towards defense.
    Id like to be able to shoot slugs accurately, as well as make good patterns with #6 birdshot.

The Idea being that this gun can handle everything from moose to bunnies as well as home/camp defense

Id like to keep the barrel at about 18-20 inches.
    Sights would be nice, perfect world would be picatinny rail with flip up sights.
    High capacity magazine
    Adjustable stock
    chokes
    Would like a weatherproof metal or coating

Right now I have an 870 mag in 12 guage with a 26" barrel. Been my duck gun for years and its showing it.

And I have a maverick 88 security with 18 inch barrel, 6 round magazine and a cylinder bore.

Should I modify one of these guns, or buy something different?

my budget is limited to 1000.00 or preferably way less.

What about the Remington 887 Nitro Mag Tactical? Looks like an all weather shotgun and has chokes. Short barrel, should shoot slugs OK, picatinney rail.

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...-tactical.aspx

Thanks for that, sounds perfect and its under 500 to boot!

hap

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    I have a desire to have a shotgun for all around use. Leaning more towards defense.
    Id like to be able to shoot slugs accurately, as well as make good patterns with #6 birdshot.

The Idea being that this gun can handle everything from moose to bunnies as well as home/camp defense

Id like to keep the barrel at about 18-20 inches.
    Sights would be nice, perfect world would be picatinny rail with flip up sights.
    High capacity magazine
    Adjustable stock
    chokes
    Would like a weatherproof metal or coating

Right now I have an 870 mag in 12 guage with a 26" barrel. Been my duck gun for years and its showing it.

And I have a maverick 88 security with 18 inch barrel, 6 round magazine and a cylinder bore.

Should I modify one of these guns, or buy something different?

my budget is limited to 1000.00 or preferably way less.
    Buy a slug barrel for your 870 and have the metal cerakoted.

There are synthetic stocks available, but a pump gun is nothing like a bolt rifle where accuracy can be affected by the stock.

Cannot imagine a need for adjustable stocks, but folding stocks are available...

They make extension tubes for the 870 magazine, but if 7 is not going to get it done, neither will more...
    art

Well I held an 870 tactical and the 887 tactical today. Hands down the 870 felt tighter and smoother. Hands down the 887 felt better to shoulder and hold. I really like the longer slide on 887.

The 887 is pretty wild with that armor coat. Looks like they dipped the whole gun in plastic. I like the High vis sight on the front. BUt the 870 comes with a rear peep.

I dont know, kind of a toss up right now. Both are about the same price. 50 dollar difference. I have heard alot of negative with the 887 though over the net. Id say a 50/50 split with the people that like them and the people that have had problems

Hap, I thought about your idea. But I dont like the idea of a slug only barrel. I want to just be able to change ammo on the move, no matter the situation. Besides by the time I got something cerekoted and a new barrel Id be into it for the price of a new gun.

First, let me comment on the Rem. 887 being a 'plastic-clad-pile'. I suppose they are making some inroad attempt at the Benelli Nova's well established following (by the way - a very good choice in a 12 ga. pump for 2 - 3 1/2").

Rem. 870 Express guns are also not up to snuff... rough and unfinished when compared with the 870 Wingmaster.

As you're probably realizing, Remington established the standard for the 870 by way of the polished, well made, and reliable Wingmaster. Pretty much it's agreeable that majority of all other brands/models of pump shotguns indeed fall short.

Here are along the lines of what I'd do with regards to the one gun for your utility use while staying under the price-point:
    A.) Benelli SuperNova w/ steady grip 24" bbl and mag extension (full compliment of chokes)
    B.) Benelli SuperNova Tactical (then opt for ghost-rings with tritium inserts) Only custom work by gunsmith here would involve adding a choke system.
    C.) Not a pump, but consider the Saiga-12... add H&K G3 sights, hi-cap mags, and choke-kit system (or poly-choke II, or customize by gunsmith adding rem-choke set-up)

I would not be overly concerned with regards to folding and/or collapsible stocks on shotguns... they are not worth the level of under-performance and discomfort while shooting the shotgun gun afield.

I would look at the Mossberg 590A1 shotguns if looking for a defense shotgun. I like the 51668.

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossb.../NEW/51668.jpg

If you want a semi I'd look at the 930SPX

http://www.mossberg.com/products/def...&display=specs

That looks really good but...its a Mossberg. I like the 870 more. If I really didn't want to put a new/different barrel on my old 870 I would probably by one of them stainless models...and put that sight setup they have on that mossberg.
    For years I drug around an 870 with a sabot barrel on it. Never had to use it but gave me good piece of mind. Now I would just buy a cylinder bore with rifle sights and get some of those Brenneke slugs. Should be all the protection you need and can still carry a couple of bird shot loads for camp meat.

a winchester model 12

Mossberg Tactical Turkey in 535. It does not have the overbore of the 835 which takes a special barrel for slugs. It comes with sights, drilled and tapped for scope/red dot, side saddle, M4 adjustable style stock, 20 inch barrel, 3 1/2" chamber, and camo'd up well. I love mine and got a great deal on it through Gun-Broker.

I have two 870's and have been pleased with both. One is a 870 with 3 inch chamber and the other is 870 super mag. 3 1/2 inch. You can change choke tubes and get them to shoot about any ammo you want to shoot.