Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spiny Dogfish

Question Spiny Dogfish

Hey gang, I was hoping somebody out there, would share some of their tried and true ways not to catch so many dogfish, being that Alaska is innundated with them, and the problme is only going to get worse until the state recognizes them as a problem (in many of our places of business). The second part of it is to keep it legal; with undercovers and all.
    Thanks for the input!

Talking Dogfish

It seems like the only thing that I've found that works for me when they're biting is to pull up my line and home!

Sometimes going home isn't an option, I'm looking for some new ideas. I appreciate the helpful intentions!

Quote Originally Posted by capt.k View Post
    Hey gang, I was hoping somebody out there, would share some of their tried and true ways not to catch so many dogfish, !
    Keep your line out of the water!!!!

I lost so many rigs this year to them. I have a true dislike for them.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

What would the state do about it even if they agreed there was a problem? The only thing I can think of would be to exempt them from the 2/year shark limit, but most fishermen wouldn't keep them anyways. Too bad, though. I had one years ago and seem to remember liking it a lot. In addition, skate wings are some of the best eating fish out there. Nobody keeps those either, and complain like heck when they catch lots of them.

-Brian

Quite using small baits, nothing smaller than a salmon head (big hooked nose males) the dogfish will eventually give up on your bait.

-Ben

I understand there is a HUGE commercial market for dogfish, just never see many being harvested by commercial folks in the PNW and Alaska.

FYI it's the preferred ingredient for English fishNchips!

The way I avoid dogfish in my local troll fishery is as follows.

1) If they're really eating you up bad, switch to artificials. If it doesn't stink, they won't bite.

2) If you insist on using bait... troll fast! They are lazy critters and most will NOT chase a fast bait unless they are very large. Think about whether you are trolling with the tide or against it. If you are going against it, you will be making very little headway while trolling and may actually be backtrolling. Your bait is basically standing still giving Mr BowWow ample opportunity to chomp down!

3) Learn how to tell when you are getting a dogfish bite. It is a very soft, slow, spongey bite as you look at your rod-tip (as opposed to erratic sharp taps of a salmon bite). When you see that soft, spongey bite... IMMEDIATELY reel it away to save not just your bait, but your leader from getting frayed! If it's a dogfish, you just saved yourself the hassle of retying/rebaiting. If it's not a dogfish... ie it's a non-committal salmon... the sudden change in action imparted to the monotonous spin of a steady troll will trigger an immediate slashing bite! Fish on!

My dogfish catch has literally plummeted since adopting these techniques. If we do catch any these days, they tend to be the big 3-4 ft-plus variety.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

Smile

In reply to B M maybe that would satisfy charter clients in June they could keep 2 spiny dogfish and a halibut. The responses are great keep 'em comming. ie jigging twister tails, drifting vs anchored, etc...

To add to this, how fast do you think I'd lose a bunch of buzz bombs? Would it be advantageous to buy a spinner maker and thread the bombs on a spinner wire to prevent bite offs? How do you think wire line like downrigger cable would work?
    The help from this forum is awesome!

This past year I started catching these little guys on jigs.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Ive been catching these on jigs for awhile now. I agree with some of the above posts, as in...maybe salmonheads, or for sure not putting your line in the water in the first place. Unfortunately, there is never a guarantee in the saltwalter, that's what does it for me, always a mystery.

Default B M--how did you cook the skate and the shark?

We ate some spiny a couple years ago. was fairly good, only problem is it takes the taste of whatever you are cooking it with. The guy who cooked ours we cought used a lot of pepper, tasted like burnt pepper, if not so much pepper would be great. that bugger took all the meat though and never got to cook it myself and have not caught any more. Last summer in homer my dad cought a huge skate. I cleaned the wings, easy to do. we were told it tasted like scallops. My grandma cooked it and didn't pay attention to what she used and how she did it. Kinda mushy though, i think to much butter? but still have a baggie in the freezer of it. Oh with the spiney sharks watch out for the spines on there back, can irritate your skin if poked or scraped, contain toxins. also you have gut them immediately if gonna keep them, one of the two we kept was pregnant. About 20 little sharks swam off with yolk bags attatched to their jaws. Kinda wanted me to set up a salt water tank. just some things i learned and thought i would share them.

Guess I have to consider myself lucky, alot of years I don't see any, last year I think 2 were brought to the boat. See more skate's and eels then I do dog-fish.
    Back when I fished out of Ketchikan they were pretty bad at times, used alot of plugs and spoons when they were a problem.

I haven't cooked dogfish, but have eaten them prepared by other people - can't help you out there. As for skate wings, I just cut them into small scallop-sized pieces and sautee them in butter and lots of garlic. Cook quickly on high heat (but don't over-cook) and enjoy. As with all fish, they're better fresh, but seem to freeze fairly well. I bet they'd also be good wrapped in bacon like we do scallops, but I haven't tried it.

-Brian

One day in Aug. I was heading out and saw all this tail action going on top of the water. We slowed down thing it was silvers ., we were wrong. Tons of dog fish. Along with the arrow tooth flounder these dogfish have purpose in life...... Did I say I hate them?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Once

I caught two once. Trooper pulled up right as we landed the second. I asked what they were good for and he said nothing, kill it. Might be fun on light tackle on those dog days of summer when nothing else is biting.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Do like they do in Puget Sound- Leave the bait at home. Dogfish aren't near so prone to hitting jigs.

As for what to do with them, eat them. Fillet and skin, then soak the meat overnight in freshwater. Our kids grew up eating the stuff (no bones, so no sweat), and they still prefer it to many other white fish. Because there's no bones, you can use it in all kinds of recipes. Makes some of the best fish and chips you ever had, too.

Default What a Pain

Yes. I too have lost many rigs to these vermin critters. They were all over my favorite trolling spot near Calisto Head. Maybe F&G could put them into their own species class for more harvest.

The worst part is they tangle so many lines up. Did I saw I hate them?
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

it seems like when you find one of them, there are always lots more... this means they're a schooling shark of sorts. i always catch far fewer by using a jig, but if they are hitting the jig, there's nothing to do, but pull up and find another spot. the good news is that you can often move just a quarter mile of less and get out of them. i've heard, and experienced, that these are cyclical populations and tend to migrate through the cook inlet (and other places) much more on certain years. some years you will have a hard time finding one, other years they will be hard to stay out of.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast