Thread: putting meat in water to cool down

Default putting meat in water to cool down

My son just watched the Fish and Game Video and it suggest to put the meat in water to cool it down it the temp is above 45 and use your hands to get the water off the meat. Have any of you done this this. Ive never had to do this but since Ill be hunting the haul road Aug10-20 the temps could still be warm.

Just noticed I just hit a 1000 post

Quote Originally Posted by skybust View Post
    My son just watched the Fish and Game Video and it suggest to put the meat in water to cool it down it the temp is above 45 and use your hands to get the water off the meat. Have any of you done this this. Ive never had to do this but since Ill be hunting the haul road Aug10-20 the temps could still be warm.

Just noticed I just hit a 1000 post
    Works great! But I've only done/seen it done around saltwater, not sure how I'd feel in still water. Now, a moving river would be ok I'd think. Cleans out the inside fer sure.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

I would put it in the Sag river

I've placed meat into compactor bags and dry bags and then placed that into the river to cool during the day and making sure to remove it at night to dry and air out.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

dito with steve, trash compactor bags are near bullet proof, once again make sure you get your meat out durring the night....
    I ♥ Big Sheep

Ok stupid question are you talking about trash compactor bags and then putting them in the water proof bags you get at Walmart.

Ok stupid question are you talking about trash compactor bags and then putting them in the water proof bags you get at Walmart.
    I'm saying that I have used both. Meat in a game bag, then into something water proof, then into cold water.

Don't forget to tie it off good, river levels can rise quickly and it can get washed away.
    Founding Member

Got it now Sid thanks thats what I was thinking but wasnt sure you going to get another huge black bear this year how did your candles work out last year

Got it now Sid thanks thats what I was thinking but wasnt sure you going to get another huge black bear this year how did your candles work out last year
    We killed 2 using the candles.

I might go this year, but I will just be showing some friends around.
    Founding Member

Yea, It works very well, but there are easier ways to do it than this!....haha

A buddy of mine that hunts the haul road has a neat idea. He removes the top couple inches of tundra exposing the frozen ground ground below. With the meat in a waterproof bag, it is laid on the frozen ground and the "flap" of tundra is tossed back over the meat to keep it out of the sun and insulated. The meat firms up nicely during the day as it is laying on frozen ground. At night it is pulled out to expose it to the air keeping it dry. I thought it was pretty slick.
    BK

I've kept sheep in the water for days. Put meat in garbage bags, usually triple layered. Make a ring of rocks so meat can't float away, put meat in the ring of water. First night, keep bag open so heat escapes, then next morning tie off back, put in another and tie off and then another. Then put back in water and put heavy rocks on top to keep it submerged. Works great!

Any problems with Fresh Water Shrimp attaching to the meat........?

I've done it several times with black bear and moose. I have to say the result was the best meat we have had! I never bothered with the bags, just straight into the water. I don't think I'd put it in still water without bags though. An interesting side effect is when you soak it in cold water, it doesn't develop the "skin" when it dries and doesn't need to be trimmed as much during processing which = less waste.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Trash compactor bags might be too short if you are leaving the quarters on the bone. Regular trash bags are longer, but they are too flimsy and tear easily. The best bags we've found for this are contractor trash bags. You can buy a box of them at Home Depot. They are the "Husky" brand; they're 42 gallon bags and 3 mils thick. It's a yellow box. For an entire caribou you'll need one for each quarter, one for each side of ribs (on the bone), one for your prime cuts (straps and loins), and one for neck and trim.

I would not advise putting meat directly in the water without bags; it will be permeated with sand, grit, and debris. Not to mention giardia and cryptospooridium. I would also advise against putting it in game bags before it goes in plastic, if you can avoid it. You'll just soak your game bags with condensation, making it harder to get a dry glaze on it later when you hang it. Or in the case of tundra hunts, when you place it on the brush pile for ventilation.

A lot has been written on this here in the forums, you might do a search for meat care and see what turns up.

The tundra burial technique is interesting and might be an option if there is not water nearby. Of course you want to be very careful to place that sod back exactly where it was; tundra takes a long time to grow. Water is much better though; it dissipates heat about 25 times faster than air of the same temperature, so it is a very effective coolant.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

I've cooled meat in the water, but usually not by choice. Even when the sheep season started July 20, heat was not the "problem" that had to be dealt with when preserving meat. However, extended periods rainy weather were a whole different issue.
    Once a good "crust" is formed keeping the meat clean; eliminating or at least greatly reducing the potential for fly "blow" and a few days of rain are a lot easier to deal with.
    Joe
    (That "crust" does not have to be "waste".)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    I've cooled meat in the water, but usually not by choice. Even when the sheep season started July 20, heat was not the "problem" that had to be dealt with when preserving meat. However, extended periods rainy weather were a whole different issue.
    Once a good "crust" is formed keeping the meat clean; eliminating or at least greatly reducing the potential for fly "blow" and a few days of rain are a lot easier to deal with.
    Joe
    (That "crust" does not have to be "waste".)
    Yeah I was thinking the same thing the dry crust as long as it is clean grinds up with the rest of the burger and rehydrates just fine IMO no sense in throwing it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Strahan View Post
    I would not advise putting meat directly in the water without bags; it will be permeated with sand, grit, and debris. Not to mention giardia and cryptospooridium. I would also advise against putting it in game bags before it goes in plastic, if you can avoid it. You'll just soak your game bags with condensation, making it harder to get a dry glaze on it later when you hang it. Or in the case of tundra hunts, when you place it on the brush pile for ventilation.

-Mike
    I agree. when you put raw meat into water, you are introducing all kinds of things including bacteria which can spoil the meat at worst or give meat that "gamey" taste at best. Water also causes meat to sour. Keep it as dry as possible, cool it off as fast as possible, then put it somewhere it will get good air circulation to cure, or crust it. Moisture is your enemy.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

Thanks for all the information guys

Doug Drum touches on this topic in the Forums magazine: http://outdoorsdirectory.com/magazine/meatcare.htm