Thread: fly fishing for lakers

Default fly fishing for lakers

Looking to do some fly fishing for lake trout later this year. Any sugestions on gear? Thanks

in the spring an late fall, the best time as the water will be cooler, use streamers, [small graling, white fish;] will do the best, these fish are not top feeders but will come up for food early or late in the season good luck

Depends on where and when you are fishing for em. You can catch them on everything from poppers to chronimids just depends on where and when
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Ok I will bite :-) Exactly where would you like to try for Lakers this Spring/Fall. Would help with a more detailed answer from the group.

As an example does your lake have a stream with a salmon run in it?

Expand some general items might be able to help with answers.

I've not caught a laker on a fly before (although I've given it a half-hearted go a couple times). Just haven't really put in the time to give a serious effort. Someday. Tony Route's book Fly Fishing Alaska has some good info on fishing for lakes.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

I will be fishing around the Tangle lakes area near Paxson. Nearly all the lakes there have at least 1 stream flowing into them with salmon running in them. I have caught lakers there before on a spinning rod in fairly shallow water. I will be going in July/August time frame/

In that setting, streamers and maybe a sink tip line will work great if the lakers are around. They're not real sophisticated and they really like their fish dinners, so the biggest trick is getting a hook in front of them. Sounds like you already have that part dialed in.

Cool! The only thing I will add is being that your fishing summer fish late and fish early. Lots of peeps who fish for lakers that time of year fish the last couple of hours of decent light and the first thing in the AM.

I have caught lake trout in the Tangle Lakes on wooley buggers fishing where creeks dump into the lake.