Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What a day!!!!

Default What a day!!!!

Yesterday morning started out at 7 AM with me drinking a cup of coffee while driving down a rural Iowa gravel road scoping the landscape for coyotes. In a short while all of the group had made an account for themselves on the FM radios and the plans for the day were made known to all.

Today was to be a special day for our coyote chasing crew of 10 guys in 10 trucks( thats 100% attendance). We had a special guest with us today. A gentleman from the south had been invited to bring a couple packs of his champion bloodline coyote dogs to our turf to run some timber land that couldn't be hunted by truck. The guy was eager to give his dogs the work out and proud that we were going to get to watch them strut their stuff. They were as good if not better than advertised!

Once the first pack of dogs got turned loose it was a matter of minutes before the FM radio sang the familiar song "OK boys...I have a pair of coyotes headed north out of the west end of the timber". Within minutes another one of the gang chimed it "another pair head south along the railroad tracks". I was sitting next to the railroad track and one of those two coyotes was soon dead. The range finder said he was 228 yards out and he was going broadside when the 70 grain Hornady from my 243 made that very distinct WHOP and he went end over end. The other one got away...sorry!

By 2:30 in the afternoon we had 6 dead coyotes(2 at my hands) and still the best timber left to hunt. Man I hated to break away from the chase but I had promised mother that I would take her to the basketball game at 3:00. As soon as the game was over I was in the truck with the radio back on. Just as I had figured the boys had struck gold in that last patch. I had set out next to that timber one night a couple of weeks ago and did a little calling and it sounded to me like there were at least three different coyote litters from last springs hatch talking back and forth across the 1200 acres of timber and switch grass! The boys killed 5 out of that one push alone.

At the end of the day we had 6 very tired dogs and 11 very dead coyotes and a wounded one in big brush pile! One of those dog chased coyotes ran right through a herd of cattle and into a barn. The farmer also had sheep and was very ok with the idea of us getting the coyote out of the barn. To my knowledge that is the first coyote any one in our group has ever killed with a 380 (nobody had a 22 along).

To some this sounds like a slaughter. Well to each his own but I'm hear to tell you that for every coyote killed there were 3 that got away a little bit smarter! We'll pay them a visit again next weekend!

11 coyotes in one day is our group record for a single day and the one that hid out in the barn made this a day the boys will talk about forever!

Just thought I'd share it!

Sounds like a good time.

Too much fun EKC...any pictures?

Sounds like a great day EKC. I was anxiously reading to see if that 228 yard yote you took by the tracks was with your thutty thutty! Good job thinning the gene pool in your neck of the woods.

Woodchuck vs 380 PPKs 002.jpg380's rule for varmits:this ground hog was taken with my Walther PPk/s

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by jmckenney View Post
    Woodchuck vs 380 PPKs 002.jpg380's rule for varmits:this ground hog was taken with my Walther PPk/s
    Remarkable. I've got a Walther PPK, in 380 myself.

I never thought of it as a Ground Hawg gun.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    To some this sounds like a slaughter. Well to each his own but I'm hear to tell you that for every coyote killed there were 3 that got away a little bit smarter! We'll pay them a visit again next weekend!
    Just thought I'd share it!
    It sounds like slaughter, but the odds are stacked against you guys, what with the, Running shots at long range.

Maybe, you bagged enough of them to increase the Wabbit, and other small game population, and keep the Coyotee, packs healthy.

Do you know how widespread, this kinda huntin is, down there?

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Hey EKC, been trying to reach ya...yer box is full. Figure inbound on tuesday. Sounds like you had some great huntin, good on ya.

Congrats EKC - a very good day for sure!
    I have never run with hounds but over the years we sure have used identical methods to thin the herd!
    Smitty, we have done this around here as far back as I can recall - I know many others scattered around IL and surrounding states also so its pretty common.... Can be a real hoot for sure - well, maybe not for the coyote!
    We used to spot foxes when I was young and get as many as 50 plus guys together - shotguns only - form a big circle and everybody start walking in on the sleeping critter - made for some excitement when "Red" would wake up and see an army around him! Saw an old boy with a 36in single shot break open 12 ga shoot 6 times at one - he was a legend when I was a punk kid!
    Had 2 cross the road in front of wifer and I this AM on way to work - was really wish-in I had something to shoot them with but alas I work on a campus and no guns allowed in vehicles...
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

After a weekend hunt the guys dump their coyotes of at one location in town. They are worth very little so I have been giving them to a couple of young boys that trap the river bottoms. These boys have a hydraulic skinning machine all rigged up that takes the work out of it. I think even after they are skinned they only get 10-15 bucks each for the nice ones.

One othe ones I killed was real dark. I might hang it in the garage and skin it myself and then do the home made tanning thing. I don't have a clue about the tanning part but their are several who will show me how.

Only a few guys went back out on sunday but they did pretty well without me. I took pictures of the weekends kill this morning before giving the yotes to the boys. I will post those pictures tonight!

EKC

I spent half of the day yesterday propping all those coyotes up in a snow bank so they looked like something you might see on exhibit in a Cabelas store and took some good pictures, However I can't get them from my picture folder onto this website....

My son is coming over tonight to see what I'm doing wrong....he caint shoot a running coyote to save his sole but he's good at computer stuff! He 's gonna learn me one and I'm trying to learn him the tother!

I spent half of the day yesterday propping all those coyotes up in a snow bank so they looked like something you might see on exhibit in a Cabelas store and took some good pictures, However I can't get them from my picture folder onto this website....

My son is coming over tonight to see what I'm doing wrong....he caint shoot a running coyote to save his sole but he's good at computer stuff! He 's gonna learn me one and I'm trying to learn him the tother!
    I hear ya on the computer knowledge - heck I still put my shoes on the wrong feet!
    Ya shoulda found one of them anti gunners houses that owned a poodle and stuck them coyotes in the snow around Fluffy's back door - that pup would hada a heart attack when he came out fer a whiz!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

OK, lets see if I can help Old EKC out on them dern ole pics!

EKC-coyotes 002.jpg

A very nice pile of pooches EKC - well Done!!!

Great Pic, Is that you, EK ? heck you look like a young buck, in that pic,....
    takin' out the trouble critters by the dozens, must have been fun

Nice Job, those look like nearing on Prairie Rats, for the number of 'em,
    Thanks for the Pic
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

That is nice pile of predators. Should be some better fawn survival rates this spring.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming-----WOW-----what a ride!
    Unknown author

Nice harvest EKC...a couple of them look like full body mounts already. How many (if any) had a touch of mange? I grew-up on a farm in the midwest, and that's a pile of varmits for sure.

Unlees you guys shot the hounds too EKC can't count. I see more than 11 varmints in this pic.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by Doc View Post
    Nice harvest EKC...a couple of them look like full body mounts already. How many (if any) had a touch of mange? I grew-up on a farm in the midwest, and that's a pile of varmits for sure.
    First off thanks Smokey for the assist on getting the pictures posted! My computer is not real geezer friendly!

Doc, none of these coyotes had any mange. We killed several early in the season that were pretty nasty but I'm guessing a few cold snaps of below zero weather sorted out the sick ones.

I took advantage of the ones that froze rock hard in the right position. A few of them spent the night in the back of a garaged pick up so they were to limp to look life like. I was going to curl one of those up in a ball like he was sleeping but forgot!

I mentioned one time on this forum that at the end of our best year of critter chasing the total tallied 119 of the buggers. I also remember back in the early days how many shots I fired per critter I killed. It is one of those deals where the success rate for sure climbs in proportion to the experience and the amount of experience is the learning curve. Kinda fun to watch some of the younger guys shoot at them and chase them around until they eventually run by one of us old timers and we make them dead. It's called paying your dues!

The biggest coyote (on the right 2nd from the top facing me) was killed on the trot at bit over 400 yards by a 62 year old guy with the same old Ruger 220 Swift that he was shooting when I joined this group back in the 70s. It now wheres a Shilen barrel of the factory contour. Any coyote that runs past Waymond(nickname) isn't long for this world.

Yup guys it's a whole lot of fun....but I'd still swap ya some yotes for some bears!

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    Unlees you guys shot the hounds too EKC can't count. I see more than 11 varmints in this pic.
    11 on saturday...your looking at the weekend total, as in they shot some more on sunday without me....the nerve!

11 on saturday...your looking at the weekend total, as in they shot some more on sunday without me....the nerve!
    SURE, I'll bet you guys had a few out behind the barn left over from a month or so back. Sounds like fun.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast