Thread: aftermarket triggers

Default aftermarket triggers

one of the biggest detractors to good shooting is a heavy or ( worse yet ) unpredicable trigger. inconsistancies in trigger pull allow for erratic shooting and poor groups, which are sometimes blamed on ammunition, bore condition, or even rifle scopes.

in an effort to improve their image, and still avoid lawsuits, remington has chosen to redesign their model 700 trigger. not once, but twice. the newest remington trigger is adjustable, and functions quite well.

with just a little bit of skill and simple tools it is easy to adjust and improve the old model remington m700 or the winchester m70 trigger to allow for a clean and light break. the ruger is more difficult.

if poor shooting is your problem, look to your trigger. if it won't break every single time at a pull weight satisfactory to you, replace it. consider timney, shilen,rifle basix, and jard. if shooting a marlin lever rifle, the excellent wild west guns trigger is hard to beat.

this simple and cost effective "gunsmithing" may show the greatest improvement in your shooting, target or game.
    happy trails.
    jh

I am curious if anyone on here has experience with the Boyds or Bold triggers especially in Mausers? They seem to get positive reviews, but I am always leery when a product costs half of that of a competitor (Timney) I need to replace the trigger in my customized Charles Daly Mauser. It breaks cleanly enough, but you cannot adjust all of the creep out of it and have it stay on safe.

The only trigger to consider is a Jewell. Anything else is a joke. Unfortunately they don't make one for the Mauser, but there are a few that are out there. Brownell's and NECG have a nice selection.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I have a Boyd trigger in my Interarms mark x (commercial M98). I to was a little leery of the low price but on the whole I am very happy with it. The stock Mark X uses a safety to block the sear so I needed an after market trigger with a safety. The stock trigger had an okay pull but tons of creep, it was actually posible to pull the trigger right to the edge of breaking and it would stay there.

Initial installation of the Boyd trigger was easy, but there were issues. The first issue was the safety lever was to long and hit the bolt shroud when the bolt was closed. I cut off part of the safety lever, and rebent it to get it low over the stock like the stock safety. I did TIG weld the little thumb piece back on but it could have done without that. Other then that it went right in with no other changes other then cutting a little into the stock. There was no creep or over travel I could feel. I did adjust the pull down a bit, but that was easy it is adjustable for all 3 settings.

What I did find was that the sear was located a bit further back in the trigger then the stock trigger. This caused the cocking piece to engage the sear before the bolt had started to turn down and lead to about 1/32" of cock on closing. It functioned fine but was kind of an odd feeling when cycling the bolt slowly. I could have cut the cocking piece back to solve this but instead resided to move the trigger forward. I simply used a needle file to move the mounting hole in the trigger back about 1/32", which allowed the trigger to be mounted forward about 1/32" and solved the issue.

I am very happy with this trigger for the price, but you will need to accept that you may need to do some fitting to get it to work well. That said the more expensive triggers also say they need fitted as well so they may have the same issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Nitroman View Post
    The only trigger to consider is a Jewell. Anything else is a joke. Unfortunately they don't make one for the Mauser, but there are a few that are out there. Brownell's and NECG have a nice selection.
    Nitroman is both right and wrong with his statement. Jewell is the best. However some of the other aftermarket triggers are not junk but very good replacement triggers for factory offerings, most of which are junk.

If you are serious about punching close together holes in paper, spend the money and go with Jewell. If you prefer to have an excellent trigger and save a good bit of money for hunting supplies, go with Timney. It is not as good as the Jewell but you will not notice the difference.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

i have used the jewell in a comp rifle, and am happy with it, but it is not suitable for a duty or hunting rifle. imo.
    happy trails.
    jh

geissele triggers for ar15s

The bold is a good bargain for Mausers I have two of them and they work fine. As far as Jewell triggers go, I wouldn't give a nickle for one of them, flimsy POS as far as I'm concerned. All this talk of the dreaded Walker Remington trigger firing when you take your gun off safe or drop it and yet guys spend hundreds of dollars to buy Jewells that won't pass a drop test.

Id have to say my favorite trigger for workaday use is the current crop of Ruger 77 triggers. They generally need a triggerjob as they come from the factory but the mechanism doesn't get much simpler. Plus there are no adjustment screws for Uncle Larry to work his wonders on at Aunt Barbs kitchen table.

I also like the new breed of 700 triggers from Timney. Other than the wide trigger which I don't care for they seem better than the older ones from the same outfit, not that the old ones weren't good. RifleBasix makes some good stuff, some that he's the only game in town for. I'm not wild about his 700 offerings but he does make some nice stuff.

[QUOTE=The Kid;886382]

Plus there are no adjustment screws for Uncle Larry to work his wonders on at Aunt Barbs kitchen table.

That's funny Kid! Probably a pearl of wisdom as well for us "do it your selfers"

I have Bold and Timney triggers on my mausers and a Timney on my old Ruger 77. All are great and break cleanly. No problems.

hap

I have a bunch of different brand triggers on several different rifles... And I have installed a huge bunch more than that. Currently I will not buy another Timney unless absolutely forced to. They are a fine trigger once installed, but the last several have been ridiculous. The last two I returned without installing as they were the wrong trigger in the package.

Bold is the best deal for the money.

RifleBasix is a very good trigger and reasonable for the 700, okay for the Savage bolt rifles.

Jewell is a great bench rest trigger but not something I would consider for a hunting rifle. I hunt with an empty chamber and the safety is essentially moot in my use. If it were not the Jewell would never be considered.

The 700 trigger of old is far better than the new X mark...
    YMMV
    art