Thread: Why didnt we cut their Halibut take as well?

Default Why didnt we cut their Halibut take as well?

OK this is NOT a Comfish VS Sportfish thread. Both areas have been cut. One major player has been left out. What is being done with bycatch? How have the cuts impacted them? With all Halibut they waste and i do mean waste what is being done to include them in the cuts. Talk about an unregulated harvest. Also its not just butts but Kings as well. Lets put them on the chopping block as well.

I agree we also need to chop the IPHC and let the state manage the halibut. Get rid of IFQ's and go back to the old ways where the average person can participate.

Who ever does the managing has to be indepent of the state and fed. Operated for maxium catch and stop or reduce the bycatch.

This was in the Alaska Journal of Commerce Friday.

The IPHC plans to begin a project focusing on reducing halibut bycatch in other fisheries to get an accurate accounting of all removals. Due to expressed concerns over its perceived "ad hoc" management style, the commission will do a review of its own performance over the coming year.

You can read the article here: http://alaskajournal.com/stories/020411/fis_hcasc.shtml

"the commission will do a review of its own performance over the coming year"

I would hope it will be an independant review, rather than in-house.