Thread: Green Island Black Tails

Default Green Island Black Tails

I've been talking with a transporter about early season (August) deer hunts on Green Island. I've heard the island is low (500 feet) so not too much of a hike up to where the bucks are but every post I can find say it's way too brushy in August. Has anyone been there? Is it worth my time?

Somewhere between lucky and extremely lucky

Doesn't matter when you go, its always brushy. Not a knob on the island that even flirts with being above tree/brush line. There are deer present however...and the island is pretty small, not too many places to hide.

Never been there myself but have been told the same thing by several that have hunted it . If you take a look at a topo map or satellite photo you can see that the island was scraped flat and trenched by glacier ages ago, at least it looks that way to me. I also have been told that if I were to hunt there to find a good deer trail and spend my time sitting and watching it.

Gullies and brush is how I picture it.

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedog View Post
    I've been talking with a transporter about early season (August) deer hunts on Green Island. I've heard the island is low (500 feet) so not too much of a hike up to where the bucks are but every post I can find say it's way too brushy in August. Has anyone been there? Is it worth my time?
    Been there a few times last couple years including last summer. Very brushy getting in plus very steep! Open space once inside but not the vast area of course that Montague can offer. Never seen bear sign there and many swear there's NO bear there. A hunter in our party took a big buck from there but it took two guys to drag it out and down the steep cliffs. Good luck! Take climbing robe ;-)
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

There are bears, well at least bear scat. The Forest Service claims that there are no bears there but we stay at the cabin about once a year in the late summer and every year we see bear sign. Because it is so brushy we have yet to see a bear, but it is hard to not notice what they leave behind.

Okay, so we are going in early August, and in early August for bucks it's down to Green or Naked (and I can see the Naked jokes coming...) What do ya'll think?

Quote Originally Posted by dixiedog View Post
    Okay, so we are going in early August, and in early August for bucks it's down to Green or Naked (and I can see the Naked jokes coming...) What do ya'll think?
    Have not hunted naked in a zillion years so I'm useless there. Both green and montague we worked for our deer. More so on green because of the steep embankments to reach the middle of the island. Green has a great cabin if you can get it, problem with that is many hunt from there too. Best trip, use a boat as base camp and move around accordingly.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel