Thread: HSM 45 acp ammo

Default HSM 45 acp ammo

Last week I had several fail to feed issues with HSM 45 acp ammunition in my H&K HK45.
    A fellow at the range dropped a few of these rounds into a Pistol Max Gage, and several rounds failed.

So...my new Wilson Pistol Max Gage arrived in the mail today, and here are some quick results.

I ran 200 rounds through the gage and 24 rounds failed to drop in. That is 12%. One
    even stuck out about 1/4 inch, so that explains why I had a very tough time, last week, ejecting a round that would not feed while shooting.

Now I have only 14 boxes left. Anyone want to bid on them? Is a 12% defect rate acceptlable quality control on Remanufactured Ammunition?

I will be running the remaining 14 boxes through the gage, and will post the results...unless the shop will give me a refund on the unopened boxes.

I will find out next weeki.

Final results...out of 800 rounds Orange Box HSM remanufactured ammunition, 66 failed the drop in test on the Wilson Max Gage. 12 rounds base diameter were touched with a ceramic stone to make them ok. That left 54 bad rounds or 6.75%. The problems were virtually all too large base diameter (some a bit out of round) and bulges in the cases about 1/4 inch from base. That is still over a box to discard.

The shop, as expected, replaced that box and gave me another for my trouble, new brass, black box HSM. Those all passed the test.

Great shop.
    Last edited by Hunt-n-Fish; 02-09-2011 at 18:52. Reason: addition

That's cool they gave you new ammo.

On a side note, how do you like your HK45? Have you read this yet?... http://pistol-training.com/articles/...-larry-vickers

I like it fine. I have read everything I could find about the HK45 before I purchased it, but did not see that article. Don't have any of the issues mentioned in the article. I was looking for the most reliable 45acp I could find, out of the box, that didn't need the 1000 round "break-in" mentioned on so many 1911s. It fits me perfectly. I do like the controls...DA/SA decocker, safety. A little stiff, but this is a combat gun. You can carry it cocked & locked, so if you train/carry a 1911 one can go back and forth and it is familiar. I have seen guys who carry 1911s hit the decocker when going off safe though. I would like to have the HK45C to try sometime, may carry a bit better.

I'm a HUGE HK fan. Have you ever tried the LEM trigger? If you were in Fairbanks I'd let you try out my LEM P30 and P2000SK. It's the only way to go IMHO.