Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 9 hp go devil-boat suggestions

Default 9 hp go devil-boat suggestions

I have a BN 9 go-devil [never even started it yet] I will be using it for moose hunting on a slow currant [3MPH] river, no rocks all sand, usually I can stay in 4-5 foot water if I follow the channel. No need for any speed, just need to get up/down 3 miles from the base camp.
    This is fly in, [cub] so metal boats are out. Any rafts you think would work with this?

are you going to try and go upstream? or just use it going down stream?
    that would make a big difference because you would need to test what ever boat you were going to take and make sure it could buck the 3 mile per hour current.
    It the river is 4 to 5 feet deep. you could take a sport boat like a transom Zodiak style.
    A donut raft would also work but not want to go very fast of course.
    If I had that much water depth, I would go with the sport boat.

Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Up and down, but only a few miles up. It would be used to access different hunting spots fairly close to camp. Problem is the handle on the go-devil is like 4 feet long and the biggest sport boat I can get in a cub is 10 foot. That would work with a regular ouboard, but not that super long go-devil. No room for people. I was thinking 14 foot cataraft with transom, but not sure they can handle that much power.

cataraft would work.
    i talked to a guy at the boat show that used a go devil type unit on his cataraft and it did work fine
    No problem with to much power .. it would not go fast enough to be out of control for sure.
    I have seen 30 hp on 16 foot cats with no problem and a guy in our campground used an 18 hp on his to try and go up the kenai from Bings landing only to find he lacked enough power to make any serious headway.
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

30 HP? I guess I should be alright, if I dial it in here. The reason I was leary of the cat was last time I was on this particular river we flew in a 16 foot cataraft, a 10 foot Avon with floor boards and transom and a 15 hp regular outboard [I don't remember if it was short or long shaft]. The idea was to put the motor on the cat and use the Avon as a towed meat trailer. Never could get the trim right on the cat, all it would do is pull wheelies.
    Ended up putting the outboard on the Avon and towing the cat. Worked fine for a mile or two till the river sand utterly destroyed the waterpump. Hence the air cooled go devil. But it sounds like I should be able to make the go devil/cat combo work.
    I have no idea why that go devil has such a ridiculously long operating handle.

They are designed to use while standing.

I'd go with an Aire canoe "shorty" and contact Brian Richardson of Alaska Raft Connection regarding how to secure the motah. Aire has a purdy wide canoe too, check out there website. The good thing about the skinnier inflatable is that it will be more efificient to motor power. How much does that 9hp go devil weigh?, is it a long tail or a surface drive? these things are important details you need to provide. SOAR also makes a shorter inflatable canoe too, which would work good also. The only problem nowadays, is that most people are "scared" to run a canoe down a rivah, they need the comfort of a wide raft/bubble. A few folks on here still run canoes, but not many. OK, I found the web link, it's called the AIRE "Power Traveler". It's similiar to the other Aire Traveler being a little over 15 ft. long, and it's 47 inches wide (just right).

The power traveler has slightly more load capacity, and is plenty stable enough for that small go devil. Any more boat than this, and you're motor won't have enough power I'd assume. I just found you're motor too, it's a 140 lb., is a long tail, and is recomended on a 36 inch wide boat that is 13-15 ft. in length. Therefore, the
    Aire traveler(either one) would be about your best option. Here's a link to the power traveler:

http://www.aire.com/aire/products/default.aspx?id=234

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    I'd go with an Aire canoe "shorty" and contact Brian Richardson of Alaska Raft Connection regarding how to secure the motah. Aire has a purdy wide canoe too, check out there website. The good thing about the skinnier inflatable is that it will be more efificient to motor power. How much does that 9hp go devil weigh?, is it a long tail or a surface drive? these things are important details you need to provide. SOAR also makes a shorter inflatable canoe too, which would work good also. The only problem nowadays, is that most people are "scared" to run a canoe down a rivah, they need the comfort of a wide raft/bubble. A few folks on here still run canoes, but not many. OK, I found the web link, it's called the AIRE "Power Traveler". It's similiar to the other Aire Traveler being a little over 15 ft. long, and it's 47 inches wide (just right).

The power traveler has slightly more load capacity, and is plenty stable enough for that small go devil. Any more boat than this, and you're motor won't have enough power I'd assume. I just found you're motor too, it's a 140 lb., is a long tail, and is recomended on a 36 inch wide boat that is 13-15 ft. in length. Therefore, the
    Aire traveler(either one) would be about your best option. Here's a link to the power traveler:

http://www.aire.com/aire/products/default.aspx?id=234
    That might do it. I need to look at one.

Quote Originally Posted by rbuck351 View Post
    They are designed to use while standing.
    Now that you mention it they always do picture the operator standing.

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    Plus they have a long tail, that equals leverage. Hit that tail against an obstacle and get thrown out, if you had a short handle.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Plus they have a long tail, that equals leverage. Hit that tail against an obstacle and get thrown out, if you had a short handle.

Steve
    Yeah, I thought of that. I think the long tail is to provide a better angle in thick weeds, which is the motors real intended purpose. But it and the mud buddy the only air cooled motors out there.
    Except for the B&S, and they only make a 5 HP.

Those Briggs and Stratton motors are air cooled. Only 5 hp though.

Like this one and they are cheap, have a friend that uses one on an inflatable.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shZ_R...eature=related

Steve
    Founding Member

You could get a Jet Ranger, will carry 800lbs on step @ 17mph, will fit into a Cub. About 300lbs for the raft and engine.

Steve
    Founding Member

How much sand was in that river? I've run outboards, both jets and props, in some seriously silty water and never destroyed a water pump in short order. I honestly don't see how you can run that motor on anything less than a 12' long boat and Go Devil recommends it to be run on a 14 to 15' boat. You are going to have to stand up. Stid's boat might just work. I have a friend with a big Go-Devil on a 12' boat and it's sketchy at best.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    You can run that motah standing or sitting on a cooler. Aint not big deal, and with 9 horsepower on a fairly wide Aire Traveler (47 inches) you'll be fine, trust me. The good thing about your set up, is that you'll use such little fuel that It'll be one less thing to worry about. With the 3mph current you've described, you can just put-put along as slow as you wish to go. And unlike a jet which you have to run at higher speeds to steer, you'll be safer in the long run. I'm guessing that you'll only burn about a half gallon of fuel per hour at Wide Open Throttle. I run an outboard motor while standing in a canoe, done it my whole life, and there aint nothing to it.

Mercury doesn't offer that two stroke jet motor posted anymore. The only one they offer is a darned near 186lbs 25 horse four stroke jet, and the Jet ranger used with that motor weighs 175 lbs. Do the math, that's an insane amount of weight to be flying into a location along with moose meat, not to mention the extra fuel needed. Stick with what yah have, that little long tail will do fine.

There's a new Surface Drive company in town called copperhead manufacturing, which I'm going to do testing for them up here in AK. The surface Drive is a bit more powerful than a long tail and can also be run sitting down. The 10 horse only weighs about 100lbs so would be about 30-40 lbs lighter than your longtail. If you were REALLY looking to shave weight but not power/torque, that'd be the motah I'd go for.

Stid 2677- That jet ranger looks perfect. Whats the length?
    Doug- its ALL sand. Not glacier stuff, but beach sand. Miles and miles of it. We tried a 15 HP water cooled prop drive there and lasted a mile
    till the impellers on the water pump where gone. I mean gone, not a drop of water coming out of the pump outlet. A jet would be the worst choice. You'd lose both your drive and cooling in a minute.
    The problem is you can MOSTLY stay in deep channels, but they always quit and you must cross the river to pick it up on the other side. This means crossing a barely wet sand bar in the middle, maybe a foot deep.

Story: Guy I worked with, unknown to me, spent half a summer dragging in a 16 ft steel boat and a 17? HP go-devil. They left it at a spot they could be flown into, with the idea of stashing it there forever. Well same year I was fiy in about 10 miles up river from his stash with no motors, just rafts. Fly in-out. Well one morning I hear a loud engine noise [and I mean LOUD]. I was shocked, you never hear a motor on that part of the river. Sure enough, it was Larry with his 17 go-devil. He made it as far as I was, but no farther. Due to the sand, his prop was little more than a hub.

Mr Jim,

Here is a link to the specs. It is 13ft 2in long and 4ft 10inches wide weight is 145lbs.
    http://www.alaskaseries.com/alaskan_jet%20ranger.htm

Steve
    Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Mr Jim,

Here is a link to the specs. It is 13ft 2in long and 4ft 10inches wide weight is 145lbs.
    http://www.alaskaseries.com/alaskan_jet%20ranger.htm

Steve
    It must be the angle of the photo, I thought it was longer then that. Are those double oar locks? I think it will work as long as it would accommodate the go devil and operator. It would be used like a tug, towing a small transomless raft with hunting Buddy's and moose upriver to camp.

One thing I like about my 9 go devil is it is electric start with a charging system. The electric start is unimportant, but the charging system is. I picked up a small, light weight AV battery for it with the idea I could put a spot light on it, dirft down river in the morning, hunt till dark and return to camp with the light.

It does have oar locks. I like to run up river and use the oars to hunt my way down river.

Just an idea on the light thing. I use one of those portable batteries that you jump a car with and a hand held spot light. Last for hours and hours.

Steve
    Founding Member

I've never seen that much suspended sand in four to five feet of water...but then again I haven't been everywhere. So, how are you going to keep your go-devil from grinding away the prop.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast