Thread: Sand lake poachers

Default Sand lake poachers

I went to sand lake today trying to get a fish or two for the first time this year after reading all the stocking reports done over the past summer. I drilled a few holes and fished for 3-4 hours with a few hits but no hookups. During this time i watched an oriental family pull 12-14+ fish from the lake and saw many more laying around, they also had buckets with them and who knows how long they had been there. I called 911 trying to get ADFG or the troopers number but was told this was for emergency only and they could not be of assistance.

Please be on the look out for parties like this, they were fishing directly in front of the 80th avenue canal-

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    I went to sand lake today trying to get a fish or two for the first time this year after reading all the stocking reports done over the past summer. I drilled a few holes and fished for 3-4 hours with a few hits but no hookups. During this time i watched an oriental family pull 12-14+ fish from the lake and saw many more laying around, they also had buckets with them and who knows how long they had been there. I called 911 trying to get ADFG or the troopers number but was told this was for emergency only and they could not be of assistance.

Please be on the look out for parties like this, they were fishing directly in front of the 80th avenue canal-
    Shoot. Too bad you didn't get them. I'd get in contact with the troopers anyway and let them know what you saw. Maybe they'll start trying to bust these (edited) families that believe they are exceptions to the rules.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 02-06-2011 at 12:48. Reason: racial comments
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

You know I had the same type of a situation with a 911 call. I was out on a snowmachine and came across evidence (stashed property) reference about 30 burglaries that had occurred in the area. I thought that the 2 suspects may have been in the area of the stashed property. The troopers knew who the 2 suspects were and had been looking for them for over 2 weeks, extra troopers in the area, snowmachine patrol, plane and chopper. When the 911 operator answered I advised that this is not an emergency but that it was urgent/important. I tried to explain but was told if it is not life threatening/emergency I was not to call 911. I said okay transfer my to someone I can talk to, they could not do that. I asked for the correct number to call as I do not carry a phone book on my snowmachine. I was told I would have to wait until I could get to a location where there was a phone book. Needless to say I was p???ed and told them what I thought about their 911 rules and hung up. I know that 911 gets calls all the time that are not appropriate for what 911 is to be used for but like anything else there has to be a little common sense and discretion. Everyone should remember if they call 911 for assistance and it is not life threatening/emergency you probably will not get help.I always hoped that I had just got a bad operator and my experience was not the norm, evidently not. When I read fishwhackers post I got mad again and had to vent again. Did not mean to steal the thread.

Ref the 2 burglars, the "Anchor Point Vigilantes" caught them. Caulk one up for the good guys!
    Retirement Plan - Having Fun and Still Learning

Default Contact F&G at this number - program it into your phone now

Quote Originally Posted by Fishwhacker View Post
    I called 911 trying to get ADFG or the troopers number but was told this was for emergency only and they could not be of assistance.
    While in the field, report F & G violations to 1-800-478-3377

This is the official number for the Alaska F&G Wildlife Safeguard Program.

The regs give this guidance regarding that number: "You will not have to reveal your name, testify in court, or sign a deposition. You will remain anonymous, and you may receive a reward."

I can't hellp wondering about those last two items though (anonymous, and reward) - they seem mutually exclusive.

Thanks for the number, Ill add it to my phone

Speaking of phones, thats the only thing I caught today besides a few nibbles.

I was fishing in 6-8 ft of water and hooked onto something heavy, I reeled it up and lo and behold I had looked a leather case containing a samsung sliding phone with a 3g card in it. Obviously it was completely water damaged but if anyone lost their phone to sand lake, I have it.

I got the same response when dialing 911 for a drunk driver once. I started to report it and the operator immediately said there was a phone number for it. I asked what it was and she got smart and said look it up. I said I can't because I'm driving. I asked her to patch me through and she said she couldn't. I said that I was going to run the guy off the road and there was going to be an emergency so dispatch an ambulance and rescue truck. Miraculously I was then immediately transferred to the troopers. Wouldn't it have been faster to patch me through in the first place? I'd sure love to see a 911 type number for non-emergencies that patch right through to the troopers. They've got 811 for safe digging, 711 for the hearing impaired, 611 for phone problems, 511 for road conditions (had to look that one up), 411 for information. Hey guess what...while googling all this crap I found out that 311 is for designated government services. So, now all we have to do is to get AK to start using the 311 number to connect us with the troopers. Yes, I just tried 311 and it doesn't work in AK.

Disclaimer: This is not my normal occurrence with 911 operators in my time as a firefighter and EMT, but this lady sure was having a bad day. I guess if I would have given my fire radio designator I might have gotten along better.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I have called in bonfires during the ban, drunk drivers, huting vilolations and small brsuh fires and have never had anything but kind courtius operaters. Ya'll found a bad egg, get her name and operater number so she can be removed. We had a F&G desk person a few years back up this way that didn't know anything, I mean nothing! But thought she did. Her "info" got several folks in trouble and after much complaining......well it's been years since I have seen her.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

For non-emergency calls in/around Anchorage, the APD Dispatch number is 786-8900.

i thought the troopers were *711 thats whats programmed in my phone anyhow

If i see that happening at sand lake....im going to walk over to them, take out my camera (always in my pocket), take a picture of them and theyr catch, and then take a picture of their car if its the only one in the lot......then email the pics to the troopers and say "HERE YA GO!" Now go get em!

If thats goin on down at sand lake I think everyone should do whatever needs to be done.

Thanks for the headsup FishWhacker....I live just 5 minutes from the canal on 80th

Release Lake Trout

Have reported a couple accidents on the Glenn highway. Both times APD told me to call the troopers. Call the troopers and they tell me to call APD.

This was between Boniface and Muldoon.

Pretty much if you call for help call both if you think it may apply. Be clear to the dispatcher about your report. Either APD or AST will roll for emergent calls regardless of jurisdiction. (just wanted to put that out there)

Here is a link to the Trooper post ph#s..

http://www.dps.state.ak.us/ast/contacts.aspx

Cellphones these days are super at saving things like say...Phone numbers

AS mentioned in this thread..

Alaska State Trooper Anchorage outpost is 269-5511

APD non-emergency contact is 786-8900

F & G violations to 1-800-478-3377

Would be nice if APD could issue summons for blatant offenses. Or can they? I'm sure LOTS of our officers would take whatever training needed to officiate. Our honest fishermen wouldn't be bothered by it.

I've always wanted to get an unhelpful operator like that. I've heard the stories, but my calls have always been well received and handled. If an operator refuses to help you out, just inform them that a crime is being committed, and by their refusal to send help, though hired and trained to provide that help, they are an accessory to that crime. That should bring some action!

Unforunatly I have seen this at pretty much every lake in town. It's no wonder there aren't many fish for the kids to catch when this action continues. It should be pretty easy with the new limits on stocked fish to see when those few are taking more than just 2 fish per day. And that doesn't mean 2 fish at each lake you can get to each day either. That means 2 fish total for the day no matter how many lakes you fish that day.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt&FishAK View Post
    If i see that happening at sand lake....im going to walk over to them, take out my camera (always in my pocket), take a picture of them and theyr catch, and then take a picture of their car if its the only one in the lot......then email the pics to the troopers and say "HERE YA GO!" Now go get em!

If thats goin on down at sand lake I think everyone should do whatever needs to be done.

Thanks for the headsup FishWhacker....I live just 5 minutes from the canal on 80th
    (edited)
    You guys need put the cell phones away and get some handcuffs. We as law abiding Americans have the authority to make citizens arrests. If you wanted to get technical, because you're on the water, Admiralty law presides. As citizens on American waterways under Admiralty Law we have the right to arrest, arraign, conduct a trial, issue sentence and last but not least execute the sentence, right there on the ice! Admiralty law scares the crap out of the modern judicial system, it undermines their authority. Mark my words its very real and some of the oldest laws on the books. Thats how Exxon squirmed out of the 5 billion, by some old admiralty trial that happened in the 1800's. Anyway next time I drive by Sand lake I want to see Jake out there (edited) conducting execution of sentence!
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 02-06-2011 at 12:46. Reason: racial comments

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    (edited)
    You guys need put the cell phones away and get some handcuffs. We as law abiding Americans have the authority to make citizens arrests. If you wanted to get technical, because you're on the water, Admiralty law presides. As citizens on American waterways under Admiralty Law we have the right to arrest, arraign, conduct a trial, issue sentence and last but not least execute the sentence, right there on the ice! Admiralty law scares the crap out of the modern judicial system, it undermines their authority. Mark my words its very real and some of the oldest laws on the books. Thats how Exxon squirmed out of the 5 billion, by some old admiralty trial that happened in the 1800's. Anyway next time I drive by Sand lake I want to see Jake out there (edited) conducting execution of sentence!
    Fullbush,

I really did miss ya, during your short vacation lately. Thanks for reminding of things long forgotten and seldom said.
    Last edited by Michael Strahan; 02-06-2011 at 12:47.

Default marry'm

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Admiralty law presides. As citizens on American waterways under Admiralty Law we have the right to arrest, arraign, conduct a trial, issue sentence and last but not least execute the sentence, right there on the ice!
    Heck, I think you should marry them. That'll get them poachers, good!

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    Heck, I think you should marry them. That'll get them poachers, good!
    Oh yeah me w/ a mama-san for a mother-in-law along w/ her parents and their parents (you know how long those people live) can you imagine? If the jabbering didn't kill me the aroma of the kimchee and poached pike would