Thread: Dog trainers??

Default Dog trainers??

I am looking on here for information for some friends. They have 2 Australian Cattle dogs, about 5 and 7 months old, one male and one female, both recently fixed. The dogs are VERY undisciplined and the owners are simply not cut out for training them in basic obedience due to time restraints and lack of authoritative personality. They are looking for someone that they can send their dogs to for basic obedience training, preferably in or near the valley. If anyone has recommendations, I would appreciate it, as would they.

Located in Palmer, just as good as it gets.
    http://www.alaskadogboardntrain.com/

listen to tailwind he knows of what he speaks!!

Where are these folks and their dog?

Have I trained dogs like that for other people? Yes
    Could I train these dogs? Yes.
    Would I? No.
    Why? Because the dogs are not the issue it is the owners. I know you are trying to help, but your help is misguided. They need to get involved w/ their dogs, learn what is necessary, or get rid of them.
    Encourage your friends to get off their butts and do the right thing for themselves and their dogs. If not, the risk to the dogs will not improve.
    Sorry if I sound brusque, I see no sense in avoiding the issue, or molly coddling the owners.
    ARR

Jim - they are in Wasilla

River Rat - I totally agree. It aggravates me and my wife to see the way they deal with them as we are very disciplined with ours and they do very well, BUT we aren't good enough friends to talk tough to them and as much as we have tried to hint has been met with almost a deaf ear. They acknowledge they should do more, but they don't and obviously won't, plus they just shelled out a lot of money for the two dogs, so I know they won't get rid of them. I am just trying to find a way to hep the dogs. I would do it but just don't have time with my new Chessie.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Explorer View Post
    Jim - they are in Wasilla

River Rat - I totally agree. It aggravates me and my wife to see the way they deal with them as we are very disciplined with ours and they do very well, BUT we aren't good enough friends to talk tough to them and as much as we have tried to hint has been met with almost a deaf ear. They acknowledge they should do more, but they don't and obviously won't, plus they just shelled out a lot of money for the two dogs, so I know they won't get rid of them. I am just trying to find a way to hep the dogs. I would do it but just don't have time with my new Chessie.
    Explorer is right, it is a slippery slope discussing dog behavior problems with their owners. Most know exactly what the problem is(them), but they do not want to change. Suggesting what they have probobly heard a 100 times in a rude manner, won't help. It is nice of you to help when I know you are dealing with a lil' puppy yourself! Good luck, call the people I posted, they're the best. Sounds like those dogs need the best.

Thanks, tailwind. I gave them the information, so hopefully they will look into it.

Tongue in cheek here, and see the sarcasm:
    Then by all means since they "shelled" out a lot of money for the dogs help them waste some more by sending the dogs to a pro. It seems as if they have money to burn, or more money than common sense.
    They still will end up not happy.
    End of Sarcasm.
    I have been that guy who was put into the same position to train in similar situations and could not do anything to make the people happy. In fact I heard back that I screwed one family's dogs up. So I went back over to their house and had a face to face with the owner about being careful how he talked behind a guys back. There are some people who just should not own anything more than a "Poochie". (read plastic, battery powered, toy)
    You might help those folks out by prompting the pro to require a deposit (large, $500 or more) for them to go through required training sessions at set intervals. If they don't go to class, they don't get the money back. I'd also suggest he not take the dogs for less than 3 months, paid up front of course. If they want the dogs back early they lose the balance.
    Maybe, just maybe, if they have a lot to lose economically they will take these dogs and their inabilities seriously.
    You are a good friend to stick your neck out. I hope it does not come back to bite you. My comments are not meant to disparage you personally.
    ARR

I don't take anything too seriously. I know most people have their dog's best interest in mind, and that is really the most important part. I know it can get frustrating dealing with some, but I can't really get angry with someone who loves their dog to a fault.
    It is usually the rich folks who are the real problem, and think they need not change at all, and that's where the problem lies. Try convincing an ultra dominant multi-millionaire that he is the root cause of his dogs trouble, it just dosn't go over well!
    In the end they love dogs, I love dogs, and we find common ground there.

Agreed Tailwind. Agreed. In part. Poor people are stupid when it comes to dogs too though. And what I don't get about that is that dogs are easy. For me anyway. In fact I get dogs better than most people.
    But I'll bet you make a contract w/ somebody, poor or rich, and they have something to lose, they work harder not to lose it. I.e my suggestions about non-refundable training costs.
    And for the record (and you could ask my boss) I don't tend to mince words w/ anybody. Sometimes to my downfall. But being rude, and being direct, are 2 separate things.

Sometimes the best thing you can do is be honest. It might not be what they want to hear, but someones got to say gods honest truth. the hardest part of dog training is communicating with the owners in a direct but polite way. Dogs are easy, people not so much.

Amen Brother, Amen.

"But being rude, and being direct, are 2 separate things. "
    Hey ARR you are starting to show your age. LOL

There is old saying "Obedience is a way of life, NOT a 15 minute drill"
    It is something that is fine tuned over time and consistency.

As a trainer you find out quickly many people make some foolish decisions when it comes to the training of their dog. I decided years ago that I couldn't save all the nice dogs from foolish owners or the nice owners from mediocre dogs they were really invested in.

Just so you all know, I am not sticking my neck out at all. These people do not have money, but they had enough to pay for 2 Australian Cattle dogs, so I know they won't be getting rid of them.

There is a lot of ideology in the comments here, and I agree with it, but the fact is that they are not going to magically become awesome at training these dogs. He works and goes to school ALL the time and she works, but even when she is home she simply does not have the personality to handle these dogs. We tried to warn them before hand about that breed being hard to handle, but they had one before and were set on it. When they got the second one, we thought they were crazy, but hey, it' their life. My wife went to classes with one of the dogs for a little while to help her out and so she could bring the other one, but as we thought, other things took precedence and she only wound up going to about 3 or 4 classes - not even enough for the dogs to comprehend anything. Point is, the dogs need some training and the best option for them now is to send them to someone for a while to at least let them learn obedience and get housebroken. (Don't even get me started on the housebreaking. She feels "bad" for them being in a crate while she is gone, so she sticks them in the bathroom loose and they tear up everything. Yes, I know, totally irresponsible and stupid.) Anyway, training the dogs away from them isn't ideal, and they will lose some of the training due to the owners not following through, but it is easier than training the owners who JUST DON'T GET IT. Some people shouldn't have dogs, but they do. I am just trying to make it to where visitors can actually go over there without it being a madhouse.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

mmmm. Owners with no clue or inclination to train is how I've ended up with 3 rescues. People got the puppies, didnt train them so they became "untrainable" and were on their 2nd or 3rd trip to the shelter, here are the untrainables in a long group sit. http://alaskadognews.com/images/DJM-2011-001.jpg

Training takes commitment and they must follow up. They could spend thousands of dollars on training, have perfect finished dogs when they get them home. If the don't follow up, it is all for not. It sound like the owners are unlikely to do the follow up and the dogs will be the ones to pay the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    Have I trained dogs like that for other people? Yes
    Could I train these dogs? Yes.
    Would I? No.
    Why? Because the dogs are not the issue it is the owners. I know you are trying to help, but your help is misguided. They need to get involved w/ their dogs, learn what is necessary, or get rid of them.
    Encourage your friends to get off their butts and do the right thing for themselves and their dogs. If not, the risk to the dogs will not improve.
    Sorry if I sound brusque, I see no sense in avoiding the issue, or molly coddling the owners.
    ARR
    AK Explorer,
    I agree with what AK River Rat is saying.
    One option would be to have a trainer visit them in their home. That way the trainer could help train the owners as well.
    If they would be interested in that, I know of someone who is very good at both training dogs AND training people (she is not afraid to tell people exactly what they are doing wrong and why.), but at the same time she is an absolute sweetheart.

PM me if you want the contact information.