Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best Kodiak bear guides

Default Best Kodiak bear guides

Need your advice regarding Kodiak bear guides

What guides do you recommend?

Any particular area that is better then others? Spring vs fall etc

Default Jake

Go with Jake Jefferson, spring bears!!

You'll find him on this forum as BRWNBR.

Lots of good operations on Kodiak. None better than Rohrer Bear camp. Dick and Sam and their guides not only are great guides but they are great people. Experienced, knowledgeable,hardworking, people who love what they do. I rate them an a+.

I was thinking to say the same as gunner, the Rohrer family is a longstanding one of real high integrity, and extremely hard working folks. Been doing the Brown Bear deal for a long time.

I've had dealings with the family for many years and am continually amazed with how great they are to work with, even to run into in town somewhere

Haven't hunted with them nor do I know of their success rate, big bears, etc. but their long standing reputation is way over the top excellent. And that much time in the field probably stands for some serious wisdom by experience.

Also an A+ for the Rohrer Guys
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Several "big-time" and "long-time" gudes work Kodiak and the Rohrer outfit is one of the top. But as already mentined. Do not overlook the resume accumulated by BRWNBR/Jake Jefferson.
    He has produced some large beautiful bears, knows bear ecology, and his clients are as dedicated to Jake as Jake is to them.

dennis

If you are seeking the information with the intention of booking a hunt, the determination is what type of hunt do YOU want should be the first consideration. On Kodiak, as with any other place in Alaska there is a wide range of guiding services. The real question is not "who is the best guide on Kodiak, rather which guide offers the service that will closest meet YOUR expectations. Services such as facilities vary greatly as do overall hunting skills. If you are looking for a large mature male, there is a large spread in the size being harvested by the different guides. If the size is important then make certain the prospective guide includes ALL the bears harvested during the past ten years - males and females, and not just those produced on Kodiak. Everyone has some pictures of "big" bears.
    Look at the guide's percentage of sows harvested and average skull size separately for males and females.
    Best of Luck
    Joe

Some very good points Joe Thanks
    by the way you have a PM from me

Quote Originally Posted by wantj43 View Post
    If you are seeking the information with the intention of booking a hunt, the determination is what type of hunt do YOU want should be the first consideration. On Kodiak, as with any other place in Alaska there is a wide range of guiding services. The real question is not "who is the best guide on Kodiak, rather which guide offers the service that will closest meet YOUR expectations. Services such as facilities vary greatly as do overall hunting skills. If you are looking for a large mature male, there is a large spread in the size being harvested by the different guides. If the size is important then make certain the prospective guide includes ALL the bears harvested during the past ten years - males and females, and not just those produced on Kodiak. Everyone has some pictures of "big" bears.
    Look at the guide's percentage of sows harvested and average skull size separately for males and females.
    Best of Luck
    Joe

I have only been once and that was with Jake. Everyone that knows about hunting brownies on Kodiak knows the names Munsey, Roher and Harms. I have a hard time believing you could do better then what Jake provides. I personally like smaller outfits where the owner is your guide and that's what you get with Jake. I went in the fall where you also have the opportunity to hunt deer. Like others have said it depends on what your looking for and who you are comftorable with. Definately a good site to figure that out.

On Kodiak, as with any other place in Alaska there is a wide range of guiding services. The real question is not "who is the best guide on Kodiak, rather which guide offers the service that will closest meet YOUR expectations. Services such as facilities vary greatly as do overall hunting skills.Joe
    Yeah, this is definitely true,
    I'm making sure I was not "un-endorsing anyone" by saying good things about some I know
    that have a lot of experience and are way cool folks, the Rohrers

Honestly, if I could afford it and/or needed to hire a guide,.....

I'd be giving Jake Jefferson (BRWNBR) a call probably first,
    cause as Joe mentions, "For my style hunt planning, he comes across as the type of hunter I'd most like to be guided by on Brown Bear especially, probably Sheep also .
    Runs the kind of operation I'd like to learning from the most and his resume is looking pretty impressive.
    Owner operated, would be high on the list of considerations.

So, anyway, there a fair number of things to consider, including that,
    as in any business, there are a fair number of guides I have met personally, that you might be not be your style,
    very different in approach, etc. ?

It's worth asking around for sure.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Quote Originally Posted by svehunter View Post
    Some very good points Joe Thanks
    by the way you have a PM from me
    Have you hunted on Kodiak? Nice member picture of the big bear - one of my favorites.
    Joe

No never hunted Kodiak Joe but Its a dream of mine

Have you hunted on Kodiak? Nice member picture of the big bear - one of my favorites.
    Joe

I hunted with Paul Chervenak in Joe's old stomping grounds and was really pleased with his operation. Jake Jefferson has a great reputation and EVERYONE seems to like/respect/admire him so that says a lot. I met Sam Rohrer when I was there on Kodiak and people speak highly of their operation and he seemed like a real nice and hardworking guy.

I'd get as many references as possible and call both unsuccessful and successful clients alike. I got some of my best reviews/information from unsuccessful hunters.

I also thought ALL of Joe's advice was spot on.

My .02, PM me if you would like more information about Paul C's operation, he's the only one I have any first-hand knowledge of.

Give Karl Braendel a call (907) 745-4064. He may not have a website but he gets big bears.

I would second MTBrownBearHunter with Paul Chervenak. Paul is a great guy and goes above and beyond to give his clients a great hunt. Good luck hunting.

Mel
    Kodiak Island Adventures
    907-539-6474
    Shearwater 38' Allen Marine Catamaran
    Lana J 40' USCG inspected

i'd say paul c as well, was more than impressed with him the couple times we sat and chatted. had several clients that have hunted with rorher in the past as well, dick and sam are people i'd trust with my wallet. like everyone else has said...there are big bears on the island..pick someone that looks likey they'll best suite the trip your dreaming of!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Thanks for all your input! Anyone that knows about Scott Mileur or Dennis Harms and their reputation on Kodiak?

Thanks for all your input! Anyone that knows about Scott Mileur or Dennis Harms and their reputation on Kodiak?
    Both have exemplary reputations as guides. Scott has been one of the top producers of big boars on Kodiak for a long time.
    Joe

Did Scott and you guide during the same time on Kodiak with P&T?

Both have exemplary reputations as guides. Scott has been one of the top producers of big boars on Kodiak for a long time.
    Joe

Scott Miluer is a small operation, where you'll likely be guided by himself...He hunts the best area, and is known as the best...

Dennis Harms is a large operation, hunting multiple areas. You'll likely hunt with an assistant or registered guide operating under Dennis, some of whom have less than honorable ethics.

My two cents...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast