Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shrimp pot limit for this year ??

Default Shrimp pot limit for this year ??

I stopped in to F&G in anchorage to see if i could get any info on the pot limit for the coming season. They don't know anything yet, still working on running the numbers from the catch report permits. All i got out of them was it would be somewhere around 1st of March when a announcement would be made. I need to make another call or two and will report back as soon as i know something. Standby to standby

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

It better be 8. Any less, and I have pots in the way in the garage. Any more, and I have to go and buy more pots.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Thanks for the update!

Just had a meeting with Fish & Game today. The sports guys were 5,000 lb. over the allocated amount for 2010 season while commercial were under their's. IIRC, 80k'ish lb. was allocated for sports and 60,000'ish for commercial. The way the regulation is set up is that a survey is conducted to determine the viable amount of shrimp that can be harvested. That figure is then split 40% for commercial and 60% for sports. All surveys are done by the Homer office during the winter at the same spots to create an index. The 8 pot limit was set due to 2009 season being under the allocated amount. Nothing will be set until the surveys are sent to Anchorage to determine the viable amount.

I had a few angry customers (not at me, at F&G) about getting the run around and possibility of pot limit being set to 5 due to a 5,000 lb. over run. One even said that she rounded up her figures when she reported and knows she wasn't the only one.

Quote Originally Posted by donalsoncompany View Post
    I had a few angry customers (not at me, at F&G) about getting the run around and possibility of pot limit being set to 5 due to a 5,000 lb. over run. One even said that she rounded up her figures when she reported and knows she wasn't the only one.
    I recall folks saying that they were going to round up as well, in the thought that if they did so then F&G would cancel the commercial harvest. How ironic that false reporting (which is illegal anyhow, right?) is coming back to bite some.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    I recall folks saying that they were going to round up as well, in the thought that if they did so then F&G would cancel the commercial harvest. How ironic that false reporting (which is illegal anyhow, right?) is coming back to bite some.
    Well, from my understanding F&G doesn't have the authority. The board of fish does. The board of fish sets the regulation on what the quotas for commercial and sports are to be and whether if shrimping should be allowed altogether. F&G manages that quota and can increase or decrease pot numbers based on what the harvestable viability of the fishery is based off survey reports. Not sure who has the authority to extend or delay the season ie delay the opening for 2 weeks.

Commercial actually has a 50 pot max per vessel. However, F&G has capped it at 20 pots out of the 50 allowed due to harvestable viability.
    Fish Nets & Supplies Since 1953
    Fish Nets - Dip Nets - Shrimp Pots - Bait - Rope - Twine
    5740 B St. - Anchorage, AK 99518
    www.donalsoncompany.net

Thanks for the clarification. I understand that the BoF sets the regulations and that F&G executes those regulations in-season. Anyhow, if you read through some of the old threads from last year on the topic, you'll read where some folks had that very goal in mind. Since the commercial fishery was designed to be contingent on the presence of a harvestable surplus, some people figured that overreporting would mean that there would appear to be no harvestable surplus, thus the commercial fishery would be closed.

Has there been any word yet re: the number of pots that will be allowed this year? I have never went shrimping before, but have a trip planned for late July. Just interested in how many pots we could possibly set.

I've heard it's 5 with the possibility it may go up to 8? Still haven't got an official word from F&G.
    Fish Nets & Supplies Since 1953
    Fish Nets - Dip Nets - Shrimp Pots - Bait - Rope - Twine
    5740 B St. - Anchorage, AK 99518
    www.donalsoncompany.net

If it's 5 that is fine, I can only pack 6 in the boat. Last year I fished with 6 for about 5 trips than cut back to 3, still logged over 15O gal of whole shrimp. For the guys that only make a few PWS trips the cut back will have a negative impact I guess.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Fish and Game gave me a person's number to call, but his voicemail said he'd be in BOF meetings until March 5th. So, at least a few more days

I called that number too, got the same message but pushed "0" and got another biologist...he said they are deliberating that now and should have the word out or at least know by the middle of next week...

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    I called that number too, got the same message but pushed "0" and got another biologist...he said they are deliberating that now and should have the word out or at least know by the middle of next week...
    Ron,
    They've been telling "we'll know next week" for 3 weeks now !! Was the guy you talked with named Sam?

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Quote Originally Posted by potbuilder View Post
    Ron,
    They've been telling "we'll know next week" for 3 weeks now !! Was the guy you talked with named Sam?
    Itís been a long winter and we are just a bunch on impatient fisherman.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

I think they're monitoring these threads, and prolonging the agony.

Steve,
    Dan is the person who I called

I too called Dan (Bosch) 907-267-2153. LETS ALL CALL HIM Actually, he's the PWS biologist, and I talked to Eric or Ken or something, but wasn't a Sam, Steve!! Dan was in a BOF meeting, like Grizzly Man said (hmmm....does that mean he was getting boffed?) Anyway, I'll call Dan Monday, maybe we'll all call Dan...

I'm sure that would have a good effect, if you just hold your horses we'll all know soon enough!
    Mike

Default Bad News...back to 5 pots

Called F&G today and found out the Sport Guys are cut back to 5 pots per vessel, to start with, the guy said. I don't know if they'll change it mid-season or not. They haven't changed the season dates, so fish on, just with less gear!!
    How many of you have 3 pots to sell???

Quote Originally Posted by Cap'n Ron View Post
    I too called Dan (Bosch) 907-267-2153. LETS ALL CALL HIM Actually, he's the PWS biologist, and I talked to Eric or Ken or something, but wasn't a Sam, Steve!! Dan was in a BOF meeting, like Grizzly Man said (hmmm....does that mean he was getting boffed?) Anyway, I'll call Dan Monday, maybe we'll all call Dan...
    Yep, he was the one I talked to today. Said we went 6,000lbs over our limit, so everyone's going to fish with 3 less pots this year.

I have not seen the numbers yet but one of the reason it may have looked like you went over limit is people round the numbers up to make it look like the caught more than they did.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast