Thread: Another crazy smokeless powder post

Default Another crazy smokeless powder post

Since TrailBoss powder is close to being a "bulk" powder, is there anyone out there with "more money then sense" that has been willing to sacrifice a smokepole? Always nice to know what one could use in an emergency to get by.
    Last edited by Bukshot; 02-04-2011 at 20:22. Reason: spelling

It's only a matter of time before someone tries it. I don't even want to read about the results or the law suits.

+one with BrownBear's comments
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

You might could get away with using some type of smokeless powder in a black powder gun but how would you ever know just how close you were to blowing you head off. Just exactly at what pressure point will the gun come apart and just how close will your load be to that point. That would be a very bad idea without proper test equipt and the willingness to blow up a few guns to see just how far they will go.

Yeah, the pressure curve on smokeless powder is really different than black or black substitutes, and the steels used aren't the same. Even Savage has backed off from the muzzleloader they purpose-built for using smokeless. Too many blow-ups, whether from idiots magnumizing their loads or not getting the bullet seated firmly on the powder charge. My fear is that the press would not distinguish, and every report of a muzzleloader blowing up gets blamed on that "dangerous" black powder, and how citizens handling any kind of powder is foolish and dangerous. I'd much rather keep the idiots on the golf course or in front of their tv's, rather than messing things up for the rest of us. Rant over.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I'd much rather keep the idiots on the golf course or in front of their tv's, rather than messing things up for the rest of us. Rant over.
    You and me both. I guess "Golf" does serve THAT purpose. I dunno what else, it's good for.

As I see it, Smokeless Powder doesn't burn the same, in cases with different capacities, or even with different bullet weights.

Just look at the loading data. Some powders are for small cartridges, and some slow burning powders are for heavy bullets, and not for the lighter ones.

I don't even use the BP substitutes in my MLs because they're smokless, and therefore, hard to ignite. Who knows, what erratic ignitio can do to the Pressure Curve?

I think it must take enormous R&D to design a BP Substitute. They've gotta make SP ACT, like BP.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.