Thread: Iditarod starts in Willow!!!

Smile Iditarod starts in Willow!!!

Here we go again Iditarod starts in Willow!!! Wasilla has lack of snow. So as trialmaster for the Willow Trail Comm. I want too invite you guys up to Willow to enjoy the Last Great Race Sun 2 o'clock. Grab your sleds and get out and enjoy the best family and get to Willow!
    So from Winter Park Cabins get out and enjoy the best part of winter !!!

Default Access?

So, where's the best place to access the lake with a snowmachine. Would like to avoid the mobs as much as possible and get over to the west side of the lake to photograph the mushers without all the crowds at the starting line? Suggestions? Thanks. John

The best place to take unfettered photos of the musher would be out on the Big Su. If I were you, I would set up right out on the river, in front of the Deshka Landing. That way you get to photo each team and driver coming out on to the river. Very scenic, with Mt McKinley in the back ground, providing it is a clear day. Especially if you want to avoid the hoards of people at the lake. The only access across the lake is iffy, as it too crosses private property and is sort of in limbo at this time, as to whether or not it will remain accessible for much longer. The owners are sort of wanting to shut it down and reclaim their lot.

Smile Great Pic.

You can start at Willow Lake. Go across the lake there is a pubic access that take you to the main trail system after going down a road. Best picture area will be down by Deska river area because there would be more sunny area. Pick up a map at one of Willow local stores.

Default Where to go?

I think the big question is how can you get anywhere near Willow to park & unload in a timely fashion given the incredible traffic jam that only gets worse every year. I've tried from Nancy lake with no luck and for my money it's probably easiest just to run out from the Little Sue-which is too bad given the 20+ miles to the Big Su compared to the Deshka at Ground Zero.

Short of getting up way early to get to Deshka Landing, I digress.