Thread: Hare population cycle around the state?

Default Hare population cycle around the state?

I hear hare populations are back up in the Soldotna area; how much does the hare cycle vary around the state? If one area is up, is another down? Any reports on other areas

I am not going to name specific areas bukshot, but I would say generally speaking, I have observed a sharp decline in numbers in unit 14 this year. Unit 13 appears to be stable. Those are just my general observations.

14 is definately crashing..2 years ago you couldnt hardly go 20 feet without flushing one, this winter its pretty slow in the same areas.....south and east 13 is on its way i believe, and 7 im not sure about

Release Lake Trout

Unit 7 was pretty decent for a while but as of recently seems to be down.

I just got back from three days in 13 after hare. Near Lake Louise, they seem down from last year, but in another part of 13, I could have shot more than I wanted to clean. It had my buddy and me talking about hare cycles and range. Can they vary from one side of the mountain to another? Can they be high on one side of the road and low on the other?

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    I just got back from three days in 13 after hare. Near Lake Louise, they seem down from last year, but in another part of 13, I could have shot more than I wanted to clean. It had my buddy and me talking about hare cycles and range. Can they vary from one side of the mountain to another? Can they be high on one side of the road and low on the other?
    The simple answer is yes, it all depends on natality, mortality, immigration, and emigration. Now take those four factors and compound all the various reasons for variation within these factors from area to area and then you have your complex answer.

Near my cabin in unit 13 they appear to be stable from last year.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge