Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Arctic Cat 700 or 1000 and a few other questions

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    30

    Default Arctic Cat 700 or 1000 and a few other questions

    Hello

    So I am thinking of someday getting a ATV. I have a few questions that I hope can be answered.

    Is there enough back roads/ATV trails around Anchorage? Is it even worth buying an ATV?

    How well does Arctic Cat ATVs hold up? This is a huge purchase and I do not want to make a mistake. I am most fond of Arctic Cat's looks and options. I like Honda, but am not fond of the Rincon's looks.

    Kawasaki Brute Force looks great, good power, but lacks power steering.

    Not fond of Yamaha Grizzlies. Love Yamaha, but that's one ugly ATV

    Can Am - eh....I don't know. Too expensive.

    Polaris? I hate their racks. Too much plastic.

    Back to the Arctic Cat. Do you think a 700 is powerful enough to tote around me (6'4 200lbs) and wife (5'6 160) plus a little gear? Or am I better off going for the 1000? It seems there is not a whole lot price difference. I could be wrong. It's hard getting prices on these things!

    Thanks in advance for anyone with knowledge!

    Jake

  2. #2
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    The 1000 is an absolute rediculous machine. It will honestly burn off all four tires on asphalt. It's basically too much power. I've been riding ATV's since three wheeled 90's in the 1980's and it is too much for me to handle in most cases. I'm not sure why they even built the thing.

    My wife and I weigh a good 100 pounds more than your wife and you. We have a two-up AC400 that gets us anywhere we want to go if we are riding together. When it gets serious the person on the back has to get off anyways. We also have a pair of AC500's that we usually ride. The 500 is a great compromise between power and good fuel economy. I get 25% better mileage than any 700 or 800 and that matters where we ride. I've beat the piss out of my Cats and so have my teenage kids. They have held up just fine. The new 550 Cat with powersteering is one of the best Cats they have built. If I didn't already have mine paid for long ago I would be all over it.

    If you aren't willing to travel at least 45 miles to ride, you might as well not buy an ATV in Anchorage. The closest place to ride is Bird Creek, but there isn't much riding there. The next closest is Eklutna Lake, 30 miles out of Anchorage, but it's only open Sun-Wed and the ride is on basically a road. The next place to ride is Jim Creek, 40 miles or so from Anchorage, and there is a bunch of riding available there.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Oh I can travel to ride. That's not a problem. I was just concerned about the lack of roads in Alaska being the same for ATVs. ( as you can tell I am new here) Sounds like a 700 or 550 would be great for us then. I do want power, but not to the point my wife can't handle it on her own. I am not sure if we should buy a canoe this year and explore Alaska or an ATV. I used to ride a Suzuki 300 when I was a kid. Great motor, but the rest was not so good. Lacked power for 2 people.

  4. #4
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    There is tons of wheeling to be done within a four hour drive of Anchorage. Even more if you are willing to go up to the Denali Highway.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  5. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    30

    Default

    I'd like to explore Petersville area

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    264

    Default

    If you're looking for something for both of you to ride together, trust me, just get a side-by-side. Since 99% of the ATV trails in this area are also accessible by Jeeps and modified 4WD trucks, the slightly larger size won't matter. In a side-by-side, you can see and talk with your passenger, drive with one hand, and have plenty of storage space.

    If you are determined to get an ATV which you straddle, be sure to get one designed for 2 people. Otherwise, you end up with too much weight behind the rear axle, making the ATV prone to flipping backwards (not to mention a rather uncomfortable ride for the passenger. Can Am has their Max lineup, Arctic Cat has their TRV, and Polaris has their Touring lineup. Also, if you get a regular ATV, doe yourself a favor and make sure it has power steering, as this virtually eliminates having the handlebars getting ripped from your hands if you hit a object in the trail, such as a large rock or tree root.

    My family has both a Polaris Rzr and CanAm Outlander Max. The preferred machine, without a doubt, is the side-by-side.

    Don't get too enthralled with power for something to ride up here--a huge engine (such as the Thundercat with a 1000) rarely gets a chance to "strut its stuff." The riding up here is almost always more technical, threading your way through boulders, through mud, or down bumpy trails.

    Finally, don't get too focused on what a machine looks like on the showroom floor. On the trail, you'll be looking more at the scenery than admiring what your now mud-covered ATV looks like. Plus, there are plenty of aftermarket parts (both from the manufacturer as well as third parties) that let you customize the look of your machine, improve its utility for your type of riding, and replace parts you may not like.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    30

    Wink Arctic Cat TRV

    I have a Arctic cat TRV 550 EFI. It has more than enough power to take my wife and I down the trails and up the hills without hesitation. Ive also ridden the TRV 700 and can barely tell any difference between the two, but if your concerned then the 700 would be the way to go. 1000 is too much. Plus she can ride on the back all day and be comfortable because you know if she isn't happy you aren't happy. Then when she gets tired of riding go buy "her" a mud pro

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Justicemedic View Post
    I have a Arctic cat TRV 550 EFI. It has more than enough power to take my wife and I down the trails and up the hills without hesitation. Ive also ridden the TRV 700 and can barely tell any difference between the two, but if your concerned then the 700 would be the way to go. 1000 is too much. Plus she can ride on the back all day and be comfortable because you know if she isn't happy you aren't happy. Then when she gets tired of riding go buy "her" a mud pro
    I would love a Mud Pro! Not piratical but fun!!! I have a question on the TRV. Is the 2-up seat adjustable? Can it sit back further on the ATV? I have long legs and from what I can see the 2-up seat would leave me little room for my butt and legs on the ATV seat. If I could move the 2-up seat further back, that would give me room to ride. MY wife has short legs, so she would be fine up on the 2-up seat.

    My father-in-law has a side x side. My wife hates them. Also, I would have to buy a trailer if I had one. They will not fit in my little truck!

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    264

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ph21 View Post
    ...I have a question on the TRV. Is the 2-up seat adjustable? Can it sit back further on the ATV? I have long legs and from what I can see the 2-up seat would leave me little room for my butt and legs on the ATV seat. If I could move the 2-up seat further back, that would give me room to ride. MY wife has short legs, so she would be fine up on the 2-up seat. ...
    On most 2-seaters, the rear seat is raised somewhat above the driver's seat, so you really can't slide back a few inches if the passenger seat is in place. However, with the passenger seat removed, you may have more leeway.

  10. #10
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Wasilla AK
    Posts
    161

    Default

    Wifey has the 08 AC 500 TRV we both love it plenty of power for us 2
    I have one qustion for you Do you plan on going with some one on your long rides or just the two of you?
    I dont wont to sound out of place is all Have you thought of gitting 2 wheelers?
    Its just when we go we by yourself we take 2 anything can go wrong because its a lonnnng walk back to the truck
    and the wife will let you know about it (been there and done that)
    maybe just check on 2 good used ones to start with
    just my 2 cents
    be safe have fun and enjoy Alaska

  11. #11
    Member greythorn3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chasin the ladys! away!
    Posts
    2,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    The 1000 is an absolute rediculous machine. It will honestly burn off all four tires on asphalt. It's basically too much power. I've been riding ATV's since three wheeled 90's in the 1980's and it is too much for me to handle in most cases. I'm not sure why they even built the thing.

    My wife and I weigh a good 100 pounds more than your wife and you. We have a two-up AC400 that gets us anywhere we want to go if we are riding together. When it gets serious the person on the back has to get off anyways. We also have a pair of AC500's that we usually ride. The 500 is a great compromise between power and good fuel economy. I get 25% better mileage than any 700 or 800 and that matters where we ride. I've beat the piss out of my Cats and so have my teenage kids. They have held up just fine. The new 550 Cat with powersteering is one of the best Cats they have built. If I didn't already have mine paid for long ago I would be all over it.

    If you aren't willing to travel at least 45 miles to ride, you might as well not buy an ATV in Anchorage. The closest place to ride is Bird Creek, but there isn't much riding there. The next closest is Eklutna Lake, 30 miles out of Anchorage, but it's only open Sun-Wed and the ride is on basically a road. The next place to ride is Jim Creek, 40 miles or so from Anchorage, and there is a bunch of riding available there.
    if its to fast, your too old!
    Semper Fi!

  12. #12
    Member AKDoug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Talkeetna
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    Yep, I'm too old. After a 40mph end'o last summer I have finally realized my limits. Frankly, utitlity quads are not built for speed and nobody builds a utility quad that is capable of handling the power that a 1000 makes. Now, a sport quad I might be able to understand, but a 1000 Cat, even the Prowler, is simply rediculous for 99% of trail use.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

  13. #13
    Member greythorn3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chasin the ladys! away!
    Posts
    2,507

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Yep, I'm too old. After a 40mph end'o last summer I have finally realized my limits. Frankly, utitlity quads are not built for speed and nobody builds a utility quad that is capable of handling the power that a 1000 makes. Now, a sport quad I might be able to understand, but a 1000 Cat, even the Prowler, is simply rediculous for 99% of trail use.
    u right! i like to go slow and see the animals myself.
    Semper Fi!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •