Thread: Off season repairs

Default Off season repairs

I just sent out a Leupold scope with a broken reticle and a Badlands pack with a torn out suspension system and some broken buckles. Every year I have some kind of gear repair or replacement to pursue. Now is a good time to get that done when the bears are sleeping and the fall hunting is still in the distance.

I'm curious, who else has some gear they are getting repaired or replaced on the forum? What kind of gear?

You hear about good equipment all the time and I think a big part of that is product warantee. I'll trust the advertising if they stand by their products.

Just this week I had a pair of replacement Pentax 8x25 binoculars, a pair of rebuilt Nikon 8x42 Monarch binoculars, and a set of replacement Kennetrek boots show up in the mail. All done under warranty. I've got a rifle that I may send back to Ruger next week. Winter is the time to do it, no doubt.

I'm fairly hard on equipment, so a good warranty is essential and a real selling point for me. I try and buy quality, but have managed to break/wear-out/malfunction some supposedly tough stuff. In the last few years, that includes a Leupold fixed 3x scope, Ruger single action revolver, a Ruger 77 30-06, and a Dana frame pack.

I revamp my snow go every before the "off season" (Nov, dec, Jan) in october, and do mostly light riding untill theres snow, usually after new years, so , like now, when the Sun is back, and its time to hunt, its good to go.
    The wife spent mucho time at freezeup mending and making our cold weather clothing, a sleeping bag, and making me a nice light pair of hardbottom Mukluks are perfect for walking the hours away, popping Bunnys, Ptarmigan, and I change into em when I check traps, no motor smells.
    In spring, I just need shotgun shells ~~LOL!!~~

The guns are cleaned with every use and the rides are maintained as we go, but major redo's like berings, shocks and such, props for the boats, and tightening up the boat are Fall projects. We try to put stuff away , but ready for use.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

I too like a good warranty. In my experience Leupold has one of the best. I have a Ruger out for repairs right now (not the rifles fault, a gunsmith messed it up when he re barreled it to 35 whelen and it wouldn't always shoot) not a good thing for a back-up gun. Interesting that the badlands pack needed repairs... two guides I know that bought them had to send theirs out as well.

Just got my packraft back from Alapcka raft last week (3 week turn around). Had a bunch of holes in the floor due to the old style seat blowing out on a long hiking trip last year which meant the floor dragged much more than normal. Used it the remainder of the season (into mid Sept) just stopped and bailed a bit more often with lots of tyvek tape to slow the leaking. Anyways, new patches and a new better style seat and back in business.

Took the hunting pack to Alaska tent Tarp to have the shoulder strap repaired. I was going to replace the old Gary Kings " Jack Wolfskin" tent with a Kodiak Condo today. I stopped at Boondocks and fixed the old Mossberg 835 with a Benelli SBE II instead. I hate ADD (HA)
    The Standard bearings and Races on the toy Trailer and the Boat are standard off season repairs. The Rifles all have been field striped and cleaned up. Scopes are checked and double checked. Pretty much just trying to get my Kodiak dates dialed in and waiting. Finally I am fixing the Cardio with 30 minutes a day treadmill to repair 44 year old body for next years Hills and valleys :O)

I don't think the repairs ever truly end, I carry a notebook and pen daily and constantly am noting stuff I see, or remember, that needs some fixin up! Then I pull out the book and review it often so I don't forget some of the important stuff... There seems to be a never ending change of seasons for repairs for the next hobby of interest. Getting boats and fishing gear ready will be next venture, new line on reels, minor boat repairs, etc....
    I can't possibly remember it all but I can remember my note book!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Bighorse, I ran across something this weekend that kinda fits your thread from a different angle.
    I saw one of my Robo Dove decoys sitting in my clubhouse and checked it out - sure enuff, I had left the 4 AA batteries in it - so promptly removed them. Made me think Hmm I need to dbl check ALL my electronic gear that will sit for a spell and remove the batteries so one does not explode and cost me a new unit!
    We all seem to have electric gizmo's now and I know I have found flashlights and the such ruined by battery neglect...
    Also had a rifle hanging in a gun case in my garage for about 30 days - thankfully no rust so case musta been dry... Good time to look things over fellow hunters....
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

I've got a pair of Nikon Monarchs out right now. Bino's are the hardest thing for me to send out because I am potentially using them all year long. I twisted up the eye piece and it came totally off, I would hate to loose it, so I sent it in.
    Smokey, I agree, I have left my batteries in my trial cams and the next season had to clean them up before usage, luckily they still worked.

My MR crewcab is in Bozeman right now. Roomies dog chewed off three straps and ate them. Pair of caulks at hofmanns for new sole. Ross fly reel shipped in for pre season tune up.

Got a tent and vestibule sitting in my basement that I need to get sewn up, darn wind in Kodiak is no joke!

'Been doing more lower back exercises this off season. The dull ache that never subsides...

The most important equipment repair is the body.
    Proud to be an American!

"The most important equipment repair is the body. "

Thats a Truth! No kidding..... a broken nose when I was 20, then, 20 years later, a broken arm, less than a year later, 4 broken ribs......everytime there was a broken snowmachine in the same instant as well.....Ive been luckier than alotta guys.

You can always buy new equipment, but not a new you. Keep your stuff repaired, keep safe!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....