Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Wooldridge Alaskan XL Motor Choice

Default New Wooldridge Alaskan XL Motor Choice

Well, I am finally going to bite the bullet and go today and start the paperwork on a new (08) Wooldridge Alaskan XL. Marita has some good pricing from the boat show.
    They come "standard" with a Suzuki 4 stroke 140 horse jet. It is being recommended by a friend of mine to go with at least a 175 HP motor on there as the more power the better in a river boat. I mentioned to the salesman that I might want to step up to the 150 but he said that the 140 Suzuki pulls stronger than their 150. This seems odd to me as a gearhead of sorts, but since I am a bit new to boats, I'll let it ride. Can any of you boat experts make any recommendations as to whether it would really be beneficial to me to upgrade to the 175?? I looked up the fuel economy figures on both of them and obviously the 175 isn't exactly a fuel miser, but when hauling a ton of crap, I think the 175 would earn its keep. Would the extra weight of the 175 be substantial? Can any of you comment on this? Thanks so much for any advice ya'll can give.

Mark

If it were me I'd absolutely upgrade the motor....call Glen at Wooldridge and he will give you a no B.S. answer to your questions...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

I can't comment on specific weights of each motor, or how the various motors will pull compared to each other, but I can say, you can never have too much power. It is suprising how much extra crap you start carrying and how quickly boat performance changes because of it. I would always reccomend more ponies available to the driver, but maybe someone with a AK XL and one of the above motors could give a better performance answer.

Should be able to go to manufactures websites and check weight/hp/gph/torque curves/just about any other data you want on the different powerheads

The more power the better as stated above you will always want to carry more stuff. Also a boat is like a sports car you dont get it for fuel economy. Congrats on the new boat cant go wrong with a wooly.

I think the 150 and the 175 are the SAME WEIGHT...

I have NEVER heard ANYONE say .....I have too much power.

The 175 is my vote .

I have always wished I had more HP on every boat I've owned>
    19' Lowe Roughneck
    90/65 Honda 4 stroke
    Outboard Jet

Whelenator, Call me at 206 722 8998 7;30 to 4;00 Seattle time or E-Mail me at glen@wooldridgeboats.com your phone number and I will call you. I will talk to you about every brand and horse power outboard pro and con. Glen

Bigger the better. But I would never put a 4 stroke outboard jet on any boat. To slow to rev and to get on step. Yes I realize there are a lot of happy 4 stroke jet outboard owners out there but the 2 strokes just make for a nicer, more powerful package for the same hp ratings. For my money I would go Optimax or Etec. Better fuel economy and lighter weight. And lighter weight equals better fuel numbers.
    Tennessee

Talk about great service....... WOW

I drive an '09 XL with E-Tec 175. Couldn't be happier. The 150/175/200 E-Tec's are all the same weight.... 150-175 is a diff in programming, 200 is some other magic inside that makes more HP, not sure on specifics. Have heard 200's have generally had more issues up front, at least in the 07-08 model years. Mine has been outstanding with 100+ hours/season on it. Uses much less fuel than my old Yamaha 115 on the AK 17 did, and hauls whatever/whoever/etc you want.

A buddy here in town has same rig with an E-Tec 150, and he put *13 people* in his XL and zipped up and down the Chena last summer. Nice.

I've also ridden in TJM's XL with the Optimax IB. Amazing ride that's quite different than an OBJ. However, I'll take my power tilt over his stomp grate when high and dry any day of the week...

You will really, really like this boat - enjoy!

At risk of repeating an old saw and perhaps giving away my age, it's one from my musclecar days...."There's no replacement for displacement" More horses equals bigger smile.

Quote Originally Posted by Whelenator View Post
    Well, I am finally going to bite the bullet and go today and start the paperwork on a new (08) Wooldridge Alaskan XL. Marita has some good pricing from the boat show.
    They come "standard" with a Suzuki 4 stroke 140 horse jet. It is being recommended by a friend of mine to go with at least a 175 HP motor on there as the more power the better in a river boat. I mentioned to the salesman that I might want to step up to the 150 but he said that the 140 Suzuki pulls stronger than their 150. This seems odd to me as a gearhead of sorts, but since I am a bit new to boats, I'll let it ride. Can any of you boat experts make any recommendations as to whether it would really be beneficial to me to upgrade to the 175?? I looked up the fuel economy figures on both of them and obviously the 175 isn't exactly a fuel miser, but when hauling a ton of crap, I think the 175 would earn its keep. Would the extra weight of the 175 be substantial? Can any of you comment on this? Thanks so much for any advice ya'll can give.

Mark
    Well, I am just floored at the responses to this post. And getting a response from The man himself. Wow! I am impressed. Thanks to all of you. I have to admit though, due to my short term memory being totally shot, I somehow thought I was buying an XL, as it turns out it is the Alaskan II. The salesman and I went over a lot of info in a short period of time at the boat show so I plead memory dump. The boat specs aren't that much different it seems to me, even though I am fairly ignorant on this stuff. So the AK II is a couple hundred pounds lighter than the XL, given that, and the reduced width and everything, would all of you still say go with a bigger motor? While speaking with the salesman today, I asked him to price me up for a larger motor. He seemed reluctant to try to sell me on horsepower and seemed to really like the Suzuki 140 4 strokes they sell. They are offering a $750 rebate on that motor right now and I had planned to turn that into 3 more years of warranty. Back to the salesman. He said it wasn't worth it to jump only from 140 hp to 175 so he priced me for a 200 Optimax. Dang it was like $4,000 more, and I nearly fell out of my chair. I had asked about the difference between 140-175, but he said there wasn't that much. I tended to disagree a little bit since I am a mechanic but I didn't want to be a jackass with him. Plus I thought it at least kind of nice that he wasn't trying to push me into a massive horsepower engine. Am I was off base here? Is there some monetary reason why he would be guiding me towards the Suzuki 140? Factory kickbacks?? Employee perks??
    I was all set to go tomorrow and get the thing written up now I am not so sure.
    One other thing, I also was going to get a lower prop unit and electric transom jack plate added in this deal. Should I just forego that stuff and worry more about power?? I am trying to stay around the $40,000 mark. My wife was originally ok with us spending $20,000. Once we saw how few used Wooldridges were on the market we had to take a step back and re think it. The 2008 AK II with 140 Suzuki 4 stroke out the door is just a smidgen over 38,000, but its $40,800 with the prop unit, and jack plate and install. Please help me, my name is Mark, and I have a boat problem! ALL responses very welcome! And thanks again to all of you. Mr. Wooldridge, I am going to put together an e-mail and get it off to you tonight and you can answer at your leisure, but I would sure love to hear from you soon.
    Me and phone calls aren't working very well with my memory issues.

I have that same motor on a 20 foot boat and I think its a great motor, for several reasons, Its light, economical and quiet. However the AKII is a bigger boat and 8" wider that my boat and that is probably an advantage. I find the hole shot OK, its not a rocket but will get out of the water in 3-4 seconds. Maybe a 2S can better that? I dunno how much time you can cut-off 3 seconds?

I use a lift and switch between a prop & jet, its worthwhile if you plan to use the boat in areas that you can use a prop, its not worth the swap for short trips, but a diffrent story if going in the salt and long river trips.......IMO.

The 140 will easily be plenty of motor w/ the prop but I have never meet anyone (yet) that didnt wish for more power w/ a OB powered jet, no matter what they had.

There are several members on here that have that combo, on similar woolys anyway, some with Honda 150's on that hull, hopefully they will chime in. Also the salesman-dealer should be able to refer you to someone that has that identical setup, I know I talked to them 3-4 years ago about a AKII set up that way, I am sure they have sold a number of them with that motor.

I would not care for a salesman pushing me into a purchase that I am not 100% on, (if thats the case?). I think the salesman should make every effort to make sure you are buying what fits yer needs. Its downright painfull to regret a major purchase, and certainly not cheap or easy to rectify once a done deal.

Do you plan to hunt with the boat? or just fish? Short trips-long trips? Lots of passengers? or mostly under 4?
    I have found I can carry about a 2400 pound load in my boat w/ the 140, I suspect the AKII would better that with the wider hull?
    2400 pounds sounds like a lot, but weight can add up quick when planning a long trip and you start adding gear, extra fuel and all the beer & food...............! If weight is important ask them what it will carry, expect 9-10 GPH at WOT with the jet, maybe 6-7 light?

Also give Glenn a call, after all he built the boat and posted his phone number for you...........! How can you beat that?
    Sounds like hes reaching out to you........................LOL goood luck!
    “Nothing worth doing is easy”
    TR

Quote Originally Posted by Akgramps View Post
    I have that same motor on a 20 foot boat and I think its a great motor, for several reasons, Its light, economical and quiet. However the AKII is a bigger boat and 8" wider that my boat and that is probably an advantage. I find the hole shot OK, its not a rocket but will get out of the water in 3-4 seconds. Maybe a 2S can better that? I dunno how much time you can cut-off 3 seconds?
    Wow, that sounds plenty quick to me, how much faster is needed in the faster rivers?
    I use a lift and switch between a prop & jet, its worthwhile if you plan to use the boat in areas that you can use a prop, its not worth the swap for short trips, but a diffrent story if going in the salt and long river trips.......IMO.

The 140 will easily be plenty of motor w/ the prop but I have never meet anyone (yet) that didnt wish for more power w/ a OB powered jet, no matter what they had.

There are several members on here that have that combo, on similar woolys anyway, some with Honda 150's on that hull, hopefully they will chime in. Also the salesman-dealer should be able to refer you to someone that has that identical setup, I know I talked to them 3-4 years ago about a AKII set up that way, I am sure they have sold a number of them with that motor.
    So far he has not mentioned referring me to anyone with that setup, but I haven't had sense enough to ask either.
    I would not care for a salesman pushing me into a purchase that I am not 100% on, (if thats the case?). I think the salesman should make every effort to make sure you are buying what fits yer needs. Its downright painfull to regret a major purchase, and certainly not cheap or easy to rectify once a done deal.
    The salesman has in fact asked me questions about what I want to do with the boat and whether I plan on hunting and fishing or whatnot.
    So far I do not feel pressured into this purchase and he has been fairly helpful even if I am not asking all the right questions.
    Do you plan to hunt with the boat? or just fish? Short trips-long trips? Lots of passengers? or mostly under 4?
    I do plan on hunting with the boat, dipnetting, kids on the rivers and lakes just for fun, the whole deal. This is why I am fretting so much over this purchase. That and the 40 freaking grand! As for the length or distance of the trips, that depends on bears, salmon and trout, ya just never know just how far you'll have to go to find them. Well maybe not salmon.
    I have found I can carry about a 2400 pound load in my boat w/ the 140, I suspect the AKII would better that with the wider hull?
    2400 pounds sounds like a lot, but weight can add up quick when planning a long trip and you start adding gear, extra fuel and all the beer & food...............! If weight is important ask them what it will carry, expect 9-10 GPH at WOT with the jet, maybe 6-7 light?
    There are videos on the Wooldridge website of them running the boats with full drums of water and they look like they will do a great job hauling weight. Don't have any numbers handy though, Mr. Glen can help with that I suppose.
    How much does your 20 foot boat weigh AKGramps? Is it a Wooldridge? Other? 2400 lbs is a LOT of weight, I don't care what your hauling with even a truck!

Also give Glenn a call, after all he built the boat and posted his phone number for you...........! How can you beat that?
    Sounds like hes reaching out to you........................LOL goood luck!
    I'll send him an e-mail tonight, hopefully he will educate me a bit.

3-4 seconds is usally plenty good, but I should mention that is two people and not a lot else. When it really matters is at the end of a hunting trip in the fall and your camped on a skinny river and you wake up and find the water dropped 6" overnight, and yer heavy going out....!

I have weighed my boat, it is not a Wooly, but similar design. I had the motor off a couple years ago, tanks and seat out, so decided to weigh everything and this is what I came up with.

Silver Streak weight May 2009

Empty Hull weight: 1345 Pounds

DF140 w/ jetpump 440
    2 group 24 batteries and boxes, Power lift,
    Seats, fuel tanks, floor, bilge pump, Canvas w/ side curtains & back 240
    Total 2025 pounds

Boat w/ equipment below, includes:
    Winch, cable and tackle
    Aluminum anchor
    4 inflatable PFD's & refill kit
    2 paddles
    push pole
    2 cushions
    Tools in tool bag
    Slant back rear canvas
    Boot cover for canvas
    Ratchet straps (2)
    Binoculars
    Heater & extra propane
    Bow saw
    Horn
    Extra tuffs
    Waders and shoes
    Fenders (2)
    Space blankets
    Jet tool
    Grease gun & extra oil and bucket
    Rack
    Misc. hose and rope
    Jacket, gloves
    Safety bag w/ flares, first aid, gun, MRE's
    Basics bag”, hunting knife ect
    Fillet board
    Box of ****ty knives, that I won in a raffle
    Barrel drum wrench
    P-towels & TP

Basic gear Total 260 pounds
    9.8 Merc. kicker 70 pounds
    Basic gear Total w/ kicker 330 pounds
    Boat w/ above gear 2355 pounds
    Boat w/ full fuel (84 gls=500#) plus all above 2859 pounds

Now the "basic" gear depends on what & where, but as you can see it adds up, I have needed most everything on that list, maybe not all on the same trip.
    The "advertised" weight of the AKII is 1150, the last Wooly I had was over the advertised weight when I put it on a scale, dont know if that typical or not?

Its going to be a great boat for you, the wider bottoms are the way to go, IMO
    TR

Cant sleep, and looking at Wooldridge website and see that hull is rated for a 225 at the jet.............!

As much as I like the 140 I would probably want more HP and for sure talk to someone that has one first.............

And yeah, 40K is a freakin lotta coin..........
    TR

The 150 is the motor most 20 Alaskan II's leave our shop with. The 2 strokes are quicker off the line. As a example a 150 E-TEC is quicker than a 150 Yamaha but the top end is the same. The 140 Suz is a great motor, when it first came out with a jet years ago I heard lots of great reports from my dealors about it. The 140 Suz is the largest Suz you can get with a jet. Suz uses a gear reduction on their motors, because of this Suz's use larger props on any given size motor. With the gear reduction the Suz motors need larger impellers or jets than other make motors to hold them to the correct RPM. On the 140 Suz it uses the power jet, the same jet size a 200 HO E-TEC or 200 OPTI would use. With the grear reduction the motor is turning the correct RPM but the impeller is turning less RPM than the 200 2 strokes. After hearing so may good reports back when the jet first came out for the 140 I was looking forward to running one. The first 140 Suz I ran was on a 20 ft Alaskan II. I ran it as empty boat and was disappointed, it didn't act like a 150 which is what I had been told. I went back to the shop and got bunch of guys and loaded up the boat and ran it again and was impressed, it hauled weight like a 150. A power jet has a bigger intake and impeller to handle the larger cu. in. motors, and on big motors with largest impeller will haul more weight than the same motor with the standard jet but is slower than the standard jet as the bigger intake has more drag. After running the 140 and thinking about it these are my thoughts, as a empty boat it didn't act like a 140 due to the drag of the larger intake but with a load it did feel like it hauled like a 150. [I never did a real load test with a 140] Glen

Quote Originally Posted by Whelenator View Post
    I have to admit though, due to my short term memory being totally shot, I somehow thought I was buying an XL, as it turns out it is the Alaskan II.
    Its a big club, welcome to it.
    And welcome to the Wooldridge club too, although having bad short term memory is not necessarliy a prerequisite.
    Never wrestle with a pig.
    you both get dirty;
    the Pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by Glen Wooldridge View Post
    The 150 is the motor most 20 Alaskan II's leave our shop with. The 2 strokes are quicker off the line. As a example a 150 E-TEC is quicker than a 150 Yamaha but the top end is the same. The 140 Suz is a great motor, when it first came out with a jet years ago I heard lots of great reports from my dealors about it. The 140 Suz is the largest Suz you can get with a jet. Suz uses a gear reduction on their motors, because of this Suz's use larger props on any given size motor. With the gear reduction the Suz motors need larger impellers or jets than other make motors to hold them to the correct RPM. On the 140 Suz it uses the power jet, the same jet size a 200 HO E-TEC or 200 OPTI would use. With the grear reduction the motor is turning the correct RPM but the impeller is turning less RPM than the 200 2 strokes. After hearing so may good reports back when the jet first came out for the 140 I was looking forward to running one. The first 140 Suz I ran was on a 20 ft Alaskan II. I ran it as empty boat and was disappointed, it didn't act like a 150 which is what I had been told. I went back to the shop and got bunch of guys and loaded up the boat and ran it again and was impressed, it hauled weight like a 150. A power jet has a bigger intake and impeller to handle the larger cu. in. motors, and on big motors with largest impeller will haul more weight than the same motor with the standard jet but is slower than the standard jet as the bigger intake has more drag. After running the 140 and thinking about it these are my thoughts, as a empty boat it didn't act like a 140 due to the drag of the larger intake but with a load it did feel like it hauled like a 150. [I never did a real load test with a 140] Glen
    Have you done any load testing on a AKII with the 150 Yamaha? The only test I see on the website is for a 115 E-tech on a open boat and lightly loaded. And thanks for joining in here, I am sure Whelenator will appreciate yer input.
    TR

No I haven't, So many models and so many motors and not enough time. I can tell you the 150 E-TEC and the 150 Yamaha 4 stroke with the full size 7 3/8 V6 impeller both turn the same RPM. Glen

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast