Thread: Mid winter chart sailing

Default Mid winter chart sailing

I find myself sitting in my office cruising through the charts and trying to figure out new places to go this summer. I go out of Valdez and have my usual spots. The standard Jacks bay, Galena bay, Snug Corner, Goose island, etc. This last year was frustrating and we did not do as well as usual. So.... I'm cruising the charts and found a couple that have my curiousity going. Has anyone got any experience they would care to share on Landlocked Bay (East of Tatitlek) or the entrance to Cloudman bay (East side of Bligh Island). Upper end of Landlocked looks like an interesting area to anchor up and fish for a few days during a summer week. If anyone cares to share.... If it's your pet spot sorry for intruding.
    I find myself looking at my leave balance and figuring out which weeks to put in for vacation. The fishing bug is getting me bad in February.

Quote Originally Posted by Tealer View Post
    I find myself sitting in my office cruising through the charts and trying to figure out new places to go this summer.
    I find myself looking at my leave balance and figuring out which weeks to put in for vacation. The fishing bug is getting me bad in February.
    Easy big fella! Maybe you should mount a set of morse controls and a helm pump on your desk and get your mind back on the job before you're on a permanent vacation. (JK)
    Don't forget your herring jigs if you go to landlocked bay, you could get a seasons worth of bait and salt em.

Default Galena Gravina dyslexia...

I've been in Landlocked Bay many times, and it is one of the most beautiful spots in PWS, among many. We've caught a few chickens in there and some rockfish, very few shrimp, but keep trying because it's so nice to be there. It is deep except on the starboard side heading in, there is a very rocky sub-bay. I always thought that would be a good place for lings and black rock bass, but never found any. The moorage is excellent way back in, very protected and deep. Watch that rocky side going in and out, the opposite shore is steep but that one the rocks go way out. We have only been there mid-May - early September.

I've always wanted to go back into Port Gravina, around Snug Corner and past Goose Island but haven't yet. There is an intriguing place called "Hells Hole" that looks like a tight entrance with a tide rip, but then a beautiful bay hidden beyond. I've also always suspected a red run in the back of Gravina where it becomes the Gravina River, as the river has a couple of side streams with a nice lake for red spawning...someone convince us to make that trip!

Do you have the PWS "bible"....Cruising PWS? It's been reprinted and widely available, excellent detailed cruise guide, definitely get one if you don't have that.
    Last edited by Cap'n Ron; 02-04-2011 at 12:12. Reason: Senior moment...

Years ago I spent many nights in Landlocked, almost at the head of the bay on your port side going in there's a small grassy island,well at a very low tide you could walk to shore, nice place to put up a tent,if the high tide is 12 feet or less,I use to put my kids on the island in a tent,my wife and I would sleep in the boat.
    Just off the island a couple hundred feet it's a muddy bottom and about 10 feet of water at low tide great place to anchor.

In July the pinks are so thick you could walk on them, Many black bears and brown bears in there that time of year. I've seen goats and deer there also.

We use to catch Halibut at the mouth of the bay in 120 feet of water,I doubt there's many left now.

It sounds like a good spot to get in out of the weather and hang on the hook for a weekend. Last Sept we got into some nasty weather when out at Knowles head. We tried to get across Port Fidalgo to Tatitlek and got beat up pretty good. I never knew a 26' boat could feel so small (caotic seas tide one way and wind another really bite). We held up in Galena bay but were exhausted and the boat took a beating getting there. Hindsight is 20/20. If I'd known then I would have dove straight into Landlocked and stayed a couple days. Thanks for the info. Capt T I understand what you mean about IF the halibut are there this year. Supposedly their peligic and move around along with the rock fish as well. Are things really getting fished out that bad or are they just moving around and we haven't found where yet?