Thread: Mat-Su Valley, first week in June??

Default Mat-Su Valley, first week in June??

Greetings All,

My wife and I have a chance to come up to the Mat-Su Valley the first week in June of 2007. What's the Salmon fishing like that time of year? Is it worth the trip?

Thanks, Brad
    http://www.ysr-racer.com

You'll be looking at fishing for Kings and that's about it.

Well, it's always worth the trip, fishing or no, but that's just my opinion. The first week of June is usually when the King Salmon are getting hot. This year seems to be a little slower than most, the prevailing theory that our later-than-usual breakup has delayed the run. But, in theory, you should have some good king fishing during the first week of June.

Default Planning

Never too early to start planning a trip. Lots to consider and even more to disregard, when you limit yourself to one week. You should do well during that time frame, if you fish the lower reaches of the Alexander, Deshka and Little Su Rivers, in the order I mentioned. Don't worry about crowds, if you go fishing as early as possible in the wee morning hours. That is when the fishing is best and most are still sleeping or having their second cup of java. You will need transportation to the rivers mentioned. They are not road accessible to the best holes. Little Su has a couple of holes that are within a reasonable walking distance from the Pt McKensie boat launch, but they are not real good consistant producers. A boat affords you the ability to pursue the fish and not waste your time in holes that only have a few fish in them. Two days and your arms will be worn out, on the third day, it will become a chore to cast, much less land a fish. So with that in mind, consider some more fun things to do with the remaining days. A good sight seeing trip in the area is always good, Hatchers Pass, Denali, Eureka, Knik Glacier and Matanuska Glacier are always good bets.
    Have Fun Planning

Thanks for the info guys. Like I said, our event is in Wasilla the first weekend in June of 2007. Would we be better off fishing the Mat-Su valley or going somewhere else?

Would the Kenai be a better choice? Any other places we should look into?

We'll definitely be using guides.

Thanks, Brad

Default racer...

Good bet could also be a charter out of Deep Creek (south of anchorage on Kenai Peninsula, Check with Kenai riverbend resort in Kenai or Kings Unlimited in Soldotna. (Tell them "fishgirl" sent you) for halibut & kings (maybe a little late for kings) Or a guide boat on the Kasilof for Kings also. Good luck planning..
    <*)))><

Post Fishing

If it were up to me I would look into a halibut charter from Seward/Homer depends how far you want to drive. I have been getting reports of bigger fish from Seward though. That being said the last 3 years I have gone out of Ninilchik. Never had luck on the king charter I took, so can't help there.