Thread: Commissioners Line Trail - Geskakmina?

Default Commissioners Line Trail - Geskakmina?

We have property on Geskakmina Lake west of Nenana. We are starting to think about the logistics of building a small cabin and are looking at the access. My gazetteer shows two trails out of Nenana; the Commissioners Line trail and the Nenana - Totchaket trail. Has anybody ridden either of these? Is there a place to park at the "trailheads" in Nenana? We'll have to cross both the Nenana and the Kantishna, do they freeze up enough to cross safely? Looks like the Commissioners will get us a little closer. Any info greatly appreciated. Thanks, David

Park at the "A-Frame" (gas station) in town, follow power line south to 10th street, turn right on 10th street (crossing RR tracks), follow for 1/2 mile or so to boat landing at Nenana River.

Cross river, follow trail to left of barge landing on far bank about 2 miles, first big right hand turn (flagged with light green tape as I recall), that is the start of the Commissioner's Trail. Trail has been cleared all the way thru to Kantishna last winter after the big fires, dunno past that.

Nenana is typically locked up around Thanksgiving, and goes out a week or so before the tripod tips on the Tanana just around the corner. Have crossed at late as April 15th. Bring snorkel.

Low snow this year = bumpy trail. I tore my knee cap off at about 6 miles into the Comm trail by getting launched from machine and struck a frozen stump with knee while on way to my cabin. Not recommended for a fun way to spend your New Year's. No more riding for me this year

Parking at A frame is better than parking at boat landing IMHO. Power to plug into block heater if cold soaked, other people around to assist if needed, lots of space to load freight sleds, bathroom and Snickers bars for the kids, etc.

Have a good trip and post report when back.

XL

XL,
    Thanks for the quick reply, that is just the kind of information I was looking for. Sorry to hear about your knee, I hope your recovery is going OK. Looking forward to getting out there, we might give it a try during spring break. Thanks again.
    David

How was the trek? I bought on Geskakmina and am curious how it went!