Thread: arrow choice

Default arrow choice

Im getting back into bowhunting after almost a 20 year absence. I just bought a new bow, (bowtech assasin) Its set up at 62# and I shoot a release. The closest pro-shop is over 1000 miles away and I need some advice on arrow choices. I am thinking I should use carbon arrows?? My draw length is 28 inches and I want to shoot a two blade head. I have some new zwickey 170 grain heads ready to go. I will be hunting moose, bear and sheep and really want one arrow that will do for all. With these heads what arrow would be the best choice and should I use feathers or vanes?? Thanks in advance.

You are going to get a ton of different responses. My go-to arrow for new shooters has always been GoldTip Hunters. My go-to vane is always a Blazer. I wouldn't consider feathers in your situation. The 170 grain tips throw things for a loop a bit because they are heavier than most folks use. Normally you would use a GoldTip 55/75 in your case, but you are going to need to step up to a GoldTip7595 in your case because of the heavier tips. With those big broadheads I would get them cut so that the arrow ends right off the front of the riser. If you have an old arrow around that is long enough, draw the arrow and have someone mark it at the front of the riser. Use that length to order arrows. The company I have had the best luck with in ordering stuff in the U.S. is Lancaster Archery http://www.lancasterarchery.com . Their tech folks are easy to talk to and they give great service. They can easily answer all your questions.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

+1 on the goldtip's i shoot the xt hunter 7595 i was shooting 100gr. heads but switched to 125gr g5 montecs total arrow weight is 430gr. with 4in fletch, you may have to get some sort of nock weight to keep your foc right with the heavier heads.

Easton Axis 340 are great. They have thinner shafts with thicker walls. Which means less wind drift on longer shots. The Easton FMJ'S are also another good option. As for feathers or vanes that is a personnel choice.

The Gold tips are a great starting point, affordable, consistant and durable.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I am a very loyal to zwickies but I have herd that they some times have flight problems coming out of extremely fast bows. Something to look into. If they do work for you thats great they will kill anything on this earth.

Olin

Zwickies or any other large bladed broadhead is going to be super sensitive to higher speeds. Alignment of the broadhead to the arrow and bowtuning have to be perfect. The reason for venting on the blades of most modern broadheads, as well as non-vented smaller bladed broadheads are to fight the planing effect.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem