Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: short on fuel or just want to stay out longer....

Default short on fuel or just want to stay out longer....

I tried something new that worked for me last year and I wanted to pass on the goods...... It is the ATL Marine Fuel Bladder http://atlfuelcells.com/ .
    I am always challenged by the constraints of my fuel capacity on multiple day trips. As these become a larger part of my business, there has been a real need for more fuel. A good friend of mine in the Prince William Sound has allowed me to install a large diesel tank at his place. This is great for the times that I am working out of his lodge. But for the self-contained 3 – 5 day trips, if fuel is tight, I have to run 30 miles up to the lodge and 30 back just to refuel. Long way to go at the end of long day of fishing. So I started talking to the folks at ATL.
    They have several different models of flexible tanks for transporting gas or diesel. I figured I can carry 150 gallons of fuel safely on deck and after making a 4 hour run, I could keep the boat moving through the water and transfer the fuel to my main tanks. I then roll up the empty bag, place it in the supplied sack and strap it to the roof of my cabin. I installed an electric pump (safe for fuel) I adapted a downrigger 12 v plug (I like the new cannon ones). So all I have to do is take the pump out of the waterproof box, connect it to the tank and plug it in the 12V connector and I am pumping fuel. 12 minutes on each side the bag is empty and my tanks are full again. I set it all up with ball valves to make sure you can shut it off properly. I think for a small boat, adding another 25 - 50 gallons or so to most smaller boats, would be really help

I got the optional mat and ratchet straps. An unanticipated bonus is that I can set it up in my truck so, I can bring fuel / gasoline back to Seward from Anchorage where it is 43 cents a gallon cheaper. .43 x 150 gallons = $ 65 dollars in savings every time I drive up to Anchorage.

Usually disclaimer, if you are an unfamiliar with transferring fuels, have a poorly grounded boat, have to have open flames around or you are some other kind of idiot….Transporting and pumping fuel is potentially hazardous, so read up or if you can’t read, do not use this product. I had mine shipped from New Jersey and it was not that expensive especially considering
    The fuel savings from a few trips to Anchorage.

Hope this helps those of you fighting the fuel conservation battle on board your boats.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by AKCAPT; 02-04-2011 at 07:35. Reason: horrible speller

That's a slick setup!

The problem I have on a small boat carrying extra fuel in hard sided tanks is where do you put them when they are empty. Being able to roll up the tank and storing it on top of the cabin would be nice.

Great idea, Andy. Do they make one that holds beer? LOL, my friends usually run out of that before we run out of gas.

Cool... Do they have varying sizes? I was wondering about a 50 gallon bladder like that. I could set it up somewhere in the center of the deck and run out to where I want to go. Once there pump off the fuel to the main tanks and then roll it up like you do. Sure would beat the old 15 gallon drums. Like Paul H said you can roll it up instead of having hard sided drums sitting arround the deck. Do they have a website?

Bigger question would be if they will allow that through the tunnel full......
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    Nope. Twelve gallons is the maximum unless it is plumbed to your truck or boat...
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    Nope. Twelve gallons is the maximum unless it is plumbed to your truck or boat...
    You don't need to pack extra fuel in the sound from may-sept. Theres thousands of gallons every where you look. jot these VHF channels down.Trident gillnet tenders 78, trident seine tenders 77, Great pacific tenders 6, Copper River Seafoods tenders 6, Peterpan tenders 6 or 11. I buy all my fuel from tenders, its 25 cents cheaper than the fuel dock because they buy in bulk, but more importantly its the extra filters, the tender tanks have an external goldenrod filtering system you can watch. If theres any water, you'll see it before it gets to your tank. Hey did I mention Chenega has a fuel dock?

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    You don't need to pack extra fuel in the sound from may-sept. Theres thousands of gallons every where you look. jot these VHF channels down.Trident gillnet tenders 78, trident seine tenders 77, Great pacific tenders 6, Copper River Seafoods tenders 6, Peterpan tenders 6 or 11. I buy all my fuel from tenders, its 25 cents cheaper than the fuel dock because they buy in bulk, but more importantly its the extra filters, the tender tanks have an external goldenrod filtering system you can watch. If theres any water, you'll see it before it gets to your tank. Hey did I mention Chenega has a fuel dock?
    Thanks for that info. Will the tender sell to private boaters or is it reserved for the working boys? When did Chenega get a fuel dock? I don't think they do. They have a pump in town if you can get them to sell to you.

Last time I went into Chenega the fuel wasn't for sale. Is there a new pump on the dock in the last two years?
    BK

Quote Originally Posted by bkmail View Post
    Last time I went into Chenega the fuel wasn't for sale. Is there a new pump on the dock in the last two years?
    BK
    Thanks for that info. Will the tender sell to private boaters or is it reserved for the working boys? When did Chenega get a fuel dock? I don't think they do. They have a pump in town if you can get them to sell to you.
    I could be wrong about Chenega but I thought they got a fuel dock w/ their FUXXUP claims money.
    Sure you can buy fuel from the tenders, I don't know of any of them that would turn a mariner back unless they were short and needed to save it for their fleet, but that usually isn't a problem anymore

Great info with the VHF channels that the tenders are on but....Thats the deal, the tenders will sell fuel, if they are not loading fish or they are not saving it for their boats. Sometimes they are in the middle of dealing with fish and just don't have time to sell 30 gallons of gas to a private guy. One thing is for sure, you are going to pay way more from a tender than if you can fill one of these up in Anchorage.

Yes they make small tanks

www.atlinc.com/rangeextender.html

I have a 1000 gallons of fuel in Chenega but it is my own tank. My expereince is that their fuel is not usually available. Good news on a unrelated front is that Chenega got cell phone service, so it may be possible to have cell comms in the Sound now....

I like the idea of being able to purchase ahead of time in a place like Anchorage, but how do you get the full bladder from the back of your truck to the deck of your boat? Is there a loading system you have used to accomplish this?

Obvisouly this wouldn't be necessary if you were just pumping from the truck to the boat tank with a hose, but if you are trying to fill your extra bladder in Anchorage to use as an extra bladder on the boat, I guess you would either need a 2nd extra bladder and a transfer system with a decent length hose or some way to lift and move the full bladder from one to the other.

They have 25 and 50 gallon bladders, but they are $400+ and $500+ respectively.

50 gallons is 400#'s, so how you're going to move it is certainly a consideration. I would think it would b fair to say that a 50 gal tank is not portable

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    Chenega got cell phone service, so it may be possible to have cell comms in the Sound now....
    I new that GCI was looking into placing towers at the village. Is this the provider? I was told that they would be exclusive to GCI users.

Quote Originally Posted by anchskier View Post
    I like the idea of being able to purchase ahead of time in a place like Anchorage, but how do you get the full bladder from the back of your truck to the deck of your boat? Is there a loading system you have used to accomplish this?

Obvisouly this wouldn't be necessary if you were just pumping from the truck to the boat tank with a hose, but if you are trying to fill your extra bladder in Anchorage to use as an extra bladder on the boat, I guess you would either need a 2nd extra bladder and a transfer system with a decent length hose or some way to lift and move the full bladder from one to the other.

The thing fills up like a wine bag. You put the fuel nozzel in it and it just expands with the fuel. Finish and put the cam lock on the top and you are good to go. I have tie downs for it but the weight of fuel has kept is solid on my boat in most coniditions.

I new that GCI was looking into placing towers at the village. Is this the provider? I was told that they would be exclusive to GCI users.
    If thats the case iphone here i come! YIP!

Bladders seem like a great idea, and to some they might be the best choice. But you can find 30 gallon plastic drums really cheap at the car washes and once you empty them they can be tied to your roof rack if you are so inclined or taken on shore and burned. They even make good seats and make an even better camp fire

I use the barrels often on a boat and bought a nice 12 volt fuel rated pump off Ebay that will transfer 6-8 gallons per minute. They are really easy to plumb into your fuel system. Might be an easy way to get around the 12 gallon tunnel issue.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by AKCAPT View Post
    The thing fills up like a wine bag. You put the fuel nozzel in it and it just expands with the fuel. Finish and put the cam lock on the top and you are good to go. I have tie downs for it but the weight of fuel has kept is solid on my boat in most coniditions.
    I understand that part, but when you are planning to use the bladder to haul fuel you purchased from Anchorage to use as extra on your boat, how do you move the full bladder from your truck to the boat. I guess you could have it in the boat the entire time if you trailer you boat, but if you have it already in the water, is there a way to move the full bladder? Just curious if you had a method or if it wasn't an issue due to some other reason.

I have never filled it outside of my boat for marine use. I have filled it with fuel in Anchorage and then pumped it over the home heating tank and the fuel tank out at my shop. I think you would need to fill it on your boat, on the trailer if you were going to fill it in Anchorage.

I have used plastic barrels plenty of times and they are a pain to store on the boat and can be difficult to secure , since they are round and they are high. Keep weight up high like that is just bad for stability. The bladder is 1/3 as high off the deck and right where I need the weight. 150 gallons = 900 pounds of weight, much better to keep the "G" as low as possible....
    Attached Images Attached Images

I would think that a bladder tank on the fish hold in the deck would work well. Fill it in Anchorage or wherever, goes through the tunnel ok, low center of gravity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast