Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Place to take the wife?

Default Place to take the wife?

Hi all,

Tim from PA here. This year is our ten year anniversery and we were thinking about taking a once in a lifetime trip to your great state. The thing is I would want to hunt for at least a few days. She doesn't like the idea of tenting out too much although she would probably hunt with a gun. Do you guys have any suggestions as to where to go? I was thinking of something economical like black bear, black tails, or caribou. She doesn't want to have to worry about brown bears/grizzlies though. It would not have to be a long hunt, maybe 4 or 5 days. We would also want to try fishing/crabbing as well as sightseeing and maybe even a little panning for gold.

Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Again, it has to be economical or else I won't be able to do it.

I'm sure that someone here can tell you how to find out but state cabins for rental for black bear would be a good way to go. Do a little searching in the archives and here is one that can help http://www.flyalaska.com/cabins.html.
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Could drive up the Dalton/Haul rd and do a drop camp for caribou day or two to drive up there and hunt for four days and drive back.... Fly out with Mike McCray of 70 degree north he could set you up fairly cheap.... But there are a few bears in this area nothing to worry about.... Good Luck

If bears are a show stopper you might want to rethink coming to Alaska since there are black and brown bears throughout the majority of the state. The vast majority of us do not worry about them we just realize they are there and part of life up here and take that into consideration when out and about. Keep a clean camp and don't bring food into your tent and you shouldn't have any issues. if your wife is deathly afraid of them then reassure her by buying or renting a bear fence.

One of the public use cabins in Prince William Sound would be a good call for black bears and or black tail deer. Or a caribou hunt up off the Haul Road like bigdog mentioned would be another great idea. Both offer amazing scenery and good hunting opportunities.

How about a black bear hunt on a chartered boat out of Prince Williams Sound? Sleep and eat on the boat, hunt and fish on the same trip. PM me if you want some first hand info. Any place you go will be a great adventure in Alaska. Mark

Quote Originally Posted by markopolo50 View Post
    How about a black bear hunt on a chartered boat out of Prince Williams Sound? Sleep and eat on the boat, hunt and fish on the same trip. PM me if you want some first hand info. Any place you go will be a great adventure in Alaska. Mark
    This was my first thought immediately, and it seems several were thinking the same thing.
    without a doubt Prince William Sound, will Completely Amaze you both with beautiful scenery,
    staying on the boat eliminates a lot of worrying about Bears yet you'll be glassing all kinds of critters
    right from the comfort of the back deck of the boat as you eat breakfast.
    To be alone more, you might look into finding a cabin to rent. but the Sound,....

It's extreme Alaska, at it's best for scenery, animals all around, fish, whales, Otters, Eagles, etc. like crazy.....

Prince William Sound, hunt from a boat, for sure. have a Great Trip
    Congrats on Ten Yrs, sounds like you found a great girl.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Thanks guys. What i meant by bears, is she does not want to tent camp in areas that hold lots of grizz. We are not worried about blackies. What does a boat off of POW cost, any ideas? I like the idea of renting a state cabin.

http://www.coffmancoveak.com/ This is one of our members here. Looks like a nice place to stay, nice civilized hunt for your wife, and one of the most beautiful parts of the state. In November a friend of mine got both a black bear and a couple deer on a POW hunt. (not at Coffman Cove though)
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

I like the idea of the coofman cove deal. One thing I have heard, and hopefully someone can confirm or deny, is that POW has really been overhunted lately and the quality of hunting has really gone down. I am a very hard hunter, mainly (and I prefer) to bowhunt and I am not afraid to go at it alone. The other option would be to come up for two weeks, sight see with the wife for 5 days or so and then hunt after she heads home. I am OK with that but she would be nervous and not freally want me to hunt on my own. (Althought I hunt in MT by myself 5miles back in)

A couple of questions - how long will your vacation be? Have you thought about renting a RV - pretty much makes the tent a non-issue. A black bear hunt along the Seward Highway in early fall would be very doable. You could just about be certain of seeing multiple bears (from the highway) and would probably get in a couple of stalks over a 2-4 day period. The Seward Hwy is also the most senic drive available in the state. If you & your wife fish, a charter on the upper Kenai would also be available.
    As an ex Pennslyvanian, please feel free to pm me at any time.
    Gary

I am thinking the vaca will be anywhere from 10-14 days. Gary - sent you a PM.
    Also, looking at a map, I wonder if it would be better to do comething closer to Anchorage so we have more options when sightseeing. What does everyone else think?

Tim

I second the idea of an RV... your wish list of activities is pretty varied and ideally seperated in different regions of the state.

Rent an RV and buy yourself a Milepost book. Cheaper alternative is rent a truck and tent camp- tent camping abounds everywhere. Travel around the state- you can cover a lot of ground in 2 weeks.

Most of the guys on here really knock road hunting but if you're not afraid to hike a mile in you can get some great hunting from the road system, particularly if hunting is a secondary objective on your vacation.

I would avoid Anchorage except for the flight and flight out unless there's something specific you want to see there.

Brown/ Grizzly bears live everywhere in the State except the western Aleutians. There's no avoiding them.

With regards to tent camping and abounding everywhere, is that because campgrounds exist everywhere or you can camp just about anywhere? With regards to an RV, can you park alongside the road and sleep there or are you required to be in some sort of camp area? Sorry if these questions sound dumb, but I am new to this sort of thing. Neither the wife nor I have any issue with hiking a mile or more to access some better hunting areas.

you can pull off the road and park to sleep in the RV. Having good hunting within a mile or three of a highway is not easily obtained. Not that it cannot be done and does get done for sure. The main population of AK is on the roadway. Good luck with your planning. The scenery is beautiful. The PWS with a cabin would be great for you - you would want some kind of boat. Check out some of the charters and transporters around cordova too....

Consider taking the inside passage cruise to get up here then jump in the RV for your hunt adventure.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by Hunts_with_stick View Post
    With regards to tent camping and abounding everywhere, is that because campgrounds exist everywhere or you can camp just about anywhere? With regards to an RV, can you park alongside the road and sleep there or are you required to be in some sort of camp area? Sorry if these questions sound dumb, but I am new to this sort of thing. Neither the wife nor I have any issue with hiking a mile or more to access some better hunting areas.
    Tent and RV camping is legal anywhere in the state except for private property- people camped in pull outs on the highway is very common. State and BLM campgrounds are scattered over most of the state and run from no-cost to low-cost. Private campgrounds tend to be a little more expensive with more amenities but fewer of them- they also tend to be concentrated near tourist destinations.

As far as hunting from the road system- don't confuse what I'm saying. It is not the equivalent of true wilderness hunting but the opportunities are there (albeit fewer of them) at a greatly reduced cost in time and money. Since the hunting aspect appears to be a secondary motive for your trip- it may suit your needs. The opportunity also depends on what species you want to hunt- caribou from the road system is a limited proposition outside of the Dalton for a non-resident and expect competition for moose on the road as well. Plenty of moose are killed from the road every year so its working for somebody....Black bear? I know so many folks who've been successful on black bears from the road I can't imagine hunting them any other way. You can fly to Timbuktoo for blackies but you don't need to.

Hey Hodgeman, Hunting would be the priority, but I can't tell the wife that I could not go to AK and not hunt, that would kill me. Even if it was something simple like a black bear hunt, I would be estatic. I have never been fortunate enough to harvest one, so I would be thrilled to do that in AK. Also, what are the odds of seeing a wolf? I would love to specifically hunt them as well. Caribou hunting would be great, but I have heard that has declined over the past couple of years as well.

Hey, Sticks! Charlie from PA here. In 2008, I did the Caribou on the Hall Road. Awesome!! Same vacation, did blackies on Kenai with no luck there. My cousin lost a nice one there. Couldn't find in the the Alders and Devil's Club after 2 days tracking. This May heading up to PWC for blackies off the ocean with my cousin from Eagle River. I rented a cabin down there for a week for $225. But since my cousin is up there, I already have an RV and a boat. Here's the link I used for the cabin: www.recreation.gov . Hope that's some help for you and GOOD luck to you and your wife! I'm not too sure there's any hunting like it down here in the lower 48. Oh, I checked my older Game Book, I too was interested in Wolf, the season closes prior to May and doesn't open til about Aug depending on the unit you may be in

The best time to visit South Central is in June. That is about the time black bear hunting winds down. There are no deer in South Central. The only two really good choices for deer are Kodiak and POW. Every year we see dozens of good bucks that come off both Kodiak and POW. The problem with Kodiak and POW is that they are islands. When you go there that is all you are going to see. Plus, the really good deer hunting is in November and the sightseeing then isn't as good and the weather is bad.

If you want to see the most of Alaska on the cheap you are going to need to be on the road system and an RV is great. The problem is, the hunting flat sucks on the road system unless you really know where to go. I hate to be negative, but a good sight seeing trip for the wife and a good hunting trip for you are going to be really tough to do. You could do the Haul Rd., but it's going to require a vehicle and very few (if any anymore) rent a vehicle you can take up there.

I hope this isn't your last trip because of illness. Otherwise I guarantee those airplanes will keep flying here.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

After spring black bear this year you may need a guide for the S.E to hunt them.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast